Author Topic: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD6XX announced at $200  (Read 1837 times)

Offline EduanB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
Re: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD6XX announced at $200
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 07:29:58 PM »
Interesting development this. Senn positioning for a makeover of their mid-market offering? $199 for this sort of performance is incredible value.

There has been a lot of speculation on SBAF and head-fi over the last 48 hours leading up to the launch. SBAF has measured a sample and it looks more 650 than 600.  And Jude's video confirms it.

Don't think it will impact dramatically on HD6x0 resale values ... our used prices are comparatively quite low by already.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 07:54:19 PM by Scubadude »
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline Doge

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Recovering Audiophile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 08:56:27 PM »
I've already seen HD600 and 650 going new for very little, this makes little difference being a limited run, I do like the cable and the look, but if it's a near 650 as a start I'm not interested thanks.

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 07:36:59 AM »
I've already seen HD600 and 650 going new for very little, this makes little difference being a limited run, I do like the cable and the look, but if it's a near 650 as a start I'm not interested thanks.

Not sure Sennheiser x Massmart will notice your lack of interest with almost 10 000 product requests in 12 hours.  A limited run it may be but it signals a fundamental, structural shift in the mid-market, one that is bound to have very positive spinoffs.  And you would have to be crazy not to be interested in that. 
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline Doge

• AVForums Veteran
  • Recovering Audiophile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 03:14:55 PM »
Why so salty? It's a veritable bargain! of COURSE there's interest. Reminds me of a saying:

"A man will spend $2 on a $1 item because he needs it, a woman will spend $1 on two $1 items she she'll never use because they were on sale."

Still can't make sense of a limited sale "fundamentally" changing the market, that's just a contradiction.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+75)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • “Without music, life would be a mistake.”
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 03:17:31 PM »
Still waiting for 18 months for a DAC I ordered and paid for using Massdrop's service.  Maybe the supplier is not in business any more

Offline Crashappy

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 04:59:51 PM »
Must say, since this massdrop was announced I had a couple silly offers on my HD600's.
If you read the drop, the LOWEST price will be $200.  Okay, with all the interest in the product I am sure it will reach that price in rapid time, but only 5000 units available.
Domestic (USA) orders will arrive after 25 December, as Chrisc mentioned, SA orders could be anywhere from Jan 2017 to July 2017.

Offline Wolvebain

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Consummate Rambler
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 05:02:00 PM »
I'm getting a pair or two :)

I want to believe that initiatives like this would cause Senn to have similar ones in future, perhaps on the HD800(S) as well... and from that folks can get a better appreciation for music and the final mix, so we all are gradually moved away from crappy jingle music, and the real artists get more focus (cos sheeple can know understand, appreciate, and want to listen to more vocals like Rachael Price instead of autotuned tripe]

Also, I think these can be awesome xmas gifts to family and friends (I'm going to use my own drop-shippers)

Why stand on a silent platform?
Fight the war...

Offline prajayn

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 06:07:01 PM »
How would those compare to the momentum 2.0?

Offline Doge

• AVForums Veteran
  • Recovering Audiophile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 07:31:03 PM »
Hands down better in every conceivable way except noise isolation and ease to drive.

Offline reactor_sa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 09:21:12 PM »
Hd650 sure don't look fancy or comfy. Will I be wasting my Mandela's getting the hd6xx if I have a pair of Fidelio X2?

Offline prajayn

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 10:03:18 PM »
Yep. The easy to drive part would be what I find most important. Guess I'm getting momentums

Offline kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2016, 01:46:32 PM »
The Momentum 2.0 sounds really inferior in comparison to the HD600, I'd rather go for the HD598 if you need something that is easier to drive.

Cracking deal on those HD6XX though. I think many people are going to obtain end game status with this one in their inventory and headphone amp makers will be thrilled as well as these definitely are going to spur a lot of sales. Massdrop has got a good business model going there and I think it helps manufacturers clear excess inventory. A pity we got kicked off the Massdrop destination list because of the ineptitude of the Post Office.

I can't really see how these would affect the resale values of HD600 and HD650 owners. The HD6XX is built to its specific price point so it's not going to be as nice as the real deal even though the sound looks to be the same. We've also not seen whether Sennheiser would be allowed to relax the driver matching and tolerances on these to be able to make that price point as they did with the HD580.

Offline Doge

• AVForums Veteran
  • Recovering Audiophile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2016, 05:47:16 PM »
Hd650 sure don't look fancy or comfy. Will I be wasting my Mandela's getting the hd6xx if I have a pair of Fidelio X2?

Only you can decide, they are comfortable, and I don't get along with the X2's sound, but I'm not you.

Offline reactor_sa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2016, 07:20:24 PM »
These are very tempting but I've already got 3 sets I use at most once a month. These probably won't change that.