Author Topic: Can a DSTV pvr hard drive be used as an external?  (Read 832 times)

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Re: Can a DSTV pvr hard drive be used as an external?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2016, 05:29:34 AM »
Ok, agreed, lets say I have insurance, and already have a spare SSD looking for a home.
Now, can a simple Clone HDD work?

Not good enough.  There is a secret handshake. 

"If it sounds good, it IS good."
Duke Ellington
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2016, 05:54:45 AM »
I'd have thought popping the drive into a Linux box and duplicating it using dd would do the trick.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline XL1000

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2016, 06:31:09 AM »
I'd have thought popping the drive into a Linux box and duplicating it using dd would do the trick.

Surely it means one must have a program or instruction that will copy everything incl hidden data?
Linux sounds like an probable solution.
I am a light sleeper and I can hear this damn HDD even over the sound of the Air-con.
Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. Plato

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2016, 06:37:57 AM »
^^^ that's what dd does..bit for bit duplication of the entire drive.  It can be saved to an image file and then written to another drive of same or larger size.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline FranZAR

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2016, 07:27:37 AM »
Surely it means one must have a program or instruction that will copy everything incl hidden data?
Linux sounds like an probable solution.
I am a light sleeper and I can hear this damn HDD even over the sound of the Air-con.

There are three partitions on the original drive. Two small ones and a large one where the recordings are stored. If you replicate the partition sizes with something like PartitionMagic on the new drive and copy all the data in each partition to new drive it will work. The large partition determines the recording time, so if you have a larger partition on the new drive, it will show more available recording time.
Rather be thought a fool than open your mouth and prove it.