Author Topic: Wine  (Read 44395 times)

Offline Larry

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
Re: Wine
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2016, 07:41:58 PM »
Big scrum at Woolies in Constantia.  Wine section is quite small and customers seem terrified they might lose out.  Anyway, managed to "save" R450 so worth the visit.  Champagne at least 20% cheaper than PnP or Ultra

You were far better behaved than me then, I got in early and made it count.... :roll:

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+164)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2016, 08:51:19 AM »
One customer (I am sure he must run a restaurant) had 4 trolleys loaded with champagne, both SA and French.  The Moet and Chandon was good value (relatively speaking)
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Jazzy

• AVForums Veteran
  • S.E.T. for life!
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2016, 12:09:08 PM »
Damn how did I miss this post on my 3rd favourite beverage after water and coffee ! I'm big on Bordeaux blends, then cab sauv.  Lately enjoyed some Syrah based blends too. I never buy Merlot but drink it when offered. Same with Pinotage. Oh but then I thought the Le vin de Francois was special...
The Vinyl Frontier!

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+164)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2016, 01:05:08 PM »
You have got it all wrong.  Wine can only be no 1.  Such a variety of taste and texture.  For me, Pinotage is no 1.  In summer a chilled white is fine too.  Look at the score above
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Jazzy

• AVForums Veteran
  • S.E.T. for life!
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2016, 04:26:51 PM »
Ya mara there's no Bordeaux on the voting options :tongue:
The Vinyl Frontier!

Offline Larry

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2016, 06:58:44 PM »
Ya mara there's no Bordeaux on the voting options :tongue:

Yup - no blended wines

Offline adie

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
    • Travelogue.tv
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2016, 08:59:26 PM »
For consistent-yardstick- quality I rate Springfield and Muratie- red and white (and, in Muratie's case, port).
Stonybrook in Franschhoek.  Soft whites
Black Elephant- boutique winery in Franschhoek. Best SA bubbly I've tasted- on recommendation form the Franschhoek ladies- and the deep rose is really a lovely red.
Vrede En Lust- was good value for money but prices have gone up a wee bit.
Solms-Delta has some very interesting wines.
Wines from Darling- Groote Post and Ormonde (very nice viognier). Teh Darling wine shop has most of what's grown, including the proprietor's (Charles Withington) fine fine Voorkamer brandy- and it's next to the craft beer place  ;D
Hemel En Aarde valley- take your pick though I enjoy Creation wines. The best Pinot Noirs are in this valley (not my opinion but international judges).
Mellasat behind Paarl make some lekker wines too, including a white pinotage.
Mullineux wines...
I have never had a bad Backsberg wine.

Tastes change however. I recently disliked a Diemersfontein Pinotage- which I used to enjoy, drink more chenin blanc (yes it is a bargain) than Chardonnay.
The Weltevrede wine I didn't like much at a tasting was superb when paired with the right food.

All this is making me thirsty.

Offline Jazzy

• AVForums Veteran
  • S.E.T. for life!
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2016, 10:25:25 AM »
Yess Black elephant bubbly rocks!
Vrede en lust Boet Erasmus I think it was, enjoyed it when it first came out many moons ago
Darling had a nice red which I think was unfiltered, also many moons ago but memorable
Agree with you on Diemersfontein, can't stomach it post 2010. maybe its not as good or the palette has become choosy. didn't we all like R&R Classique 12 years ago...
The Vinyl Frontier!

Offline optimus

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2017, 02:48:47 PM »
Yess Black elephant bubbly rocks!
Vrede en lust Boet Erasmus I think it was, enjoyed it when it first came out many moons ago
Darling had a nice red which I think was unfiltered, also many moons ago but memorable
Agree with you on Diemersfontein, can't stomach it post 2010. maybe its not as good or the palette has become choosy. didn't we all like R&R Classique 12 years ago...

Being a relatively inexperienced and very infrequent wine drinker , I think this wine is the best thing ever . Much to the amusement of my wine drinking friends . :(

Offline adie

• AVForums Grandmaster
    • Travelogue.tv
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2017, 03:12:45 PM »
@optimus
Quite a few good wines with your forum name on the label

Offline Jazzy

• AVForums Veteran
  • S.E.T. for life!
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2017, 05:48:44 PM »
Hi OptimuS. My I suggest that you one day try a wine called Optima from the Rupert family. It think it costs R50 more than the Classique. Please post your impressions
The Vinyl Frontier!

Offline adie

• AVForums Grandmaster
    • Travelogue.tv
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2017, 05:51:38 PM »
Hi OptimuS. My I suggest that you one day try a wine called Optima from the Rupert family. It think it costs R50 more than the Classique. Please post your impressions
Kind of what I was hinting at. Good stuff that Optima

Offline Larry

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2017, 02:03:09 PM »
Did a bit of wine tasting during the holidays.

Paid return visits to Haskell and Uva Mira.

View at Uva Mira is epic as always, the second label wines are over priced, and the premium wines (while excellent) are expensive in my opinion. 

Haskell, as always the Syrah is just epic, in fact all the wines.  Bit of a special occasion range wine, and a brilliant (and quite pricey) chardonnay.  The second label is where the winner is.  The  2011 Dombeya Fenix at R120ish a bottle, a Cabernet Sauvignon driven 3 way Bordeaux blend  (others being Cab Franc and Merlot if memory serves).

Offline Larry

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2017, 02:03:48 PM »
How about we get this thread made a sticky?

Offline Jazzy

• AVForums Veteran
  • S.E.T. for life!
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2017, 05:52:17 PM »
Thanks for the Dombeya tip, will sample and report back! I also thought R600 was a bit bold from Uva Mira but their owner charges that for a t-shirt at the Porsche gift shop so I guess its reasonable!? There are a few not-so-great wines at above R600 so maybe they figure they need to  just not be the worst. One should just attend tastings, like you did...
Guys any feedback on Columella(Sadie Family Wines)?
The Vinyl Frontier!