Author Topic: Wine  (Read 44168 times)

Offline jvr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
Re: Wine
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 09:22:40 AM »
Urgh - Durbanville Hills, over rated, over sold, excessively acidic.
This seems to be a general problem with most of our commercially available, affordable Sauvignon Blanc's. There are many out there that are even worse than Durbanville Hills. You need to fork out quite a bit of money to get a decent Sauvignon Blanc. Which is why I am not a big fan of the cultivar, except if I am able to pinpoint one that tastes just right (again difficult, it is trial and error and mostly error). Managed to get a really nice tasting and well balanced one a day or two ago...it is called Altydgedacht and also originates from the Durbanville area (the 2015 is quite good). Currently being sold through Checkers at a competitive price. Last night my wife prepared fish with salads, so I took out the cold bottle of Altydgedacht. At the end of the dinner the two of us consumed 75% of the bottle. Lovely...need to stock up.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 09:28:14 AM by jvr »
Lend me your ears

Offline Larry

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 10:01:37 AM »
This seems to be a general problem with most of our commercially available, affordable Sauvignon Blanc's. There are many out there that are even worse than Durbanville Hills. You need to fork out quite a bit of money to get a decent Sauvignon Blanc. Which is why I am not a big fan of the cultivar, except if I am able to pinpoint one that tastes just right (again difficult, it is trial and error and mostly error).

I agree with this statement, in my view, the real value to be had is with Chenin Blanc.  Many general wine consumers are a little put out by it, as it doesn't taste like Sauvignon Blan, and that is all they've ever had.

There are plenty of options, its a versatile, uncomplicated varietal, and there are some excellent examples...

Offline kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2016, 01:19:38 PM »
Try the Sophie Sauvignon Blanc which is from the Elgin valley and reasonably affordable. The Elgin valley is my favourite white wine district, but usually the good wines are nearly double this price. The Hemel and Aarde valley also has some outstanding white wines.

Agreed with the above sentiment, usually better value to be found on Chenin Blanc.

Offline jvr

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2016, 02:36:13 PM »
^ I tasted her a while back at a social gathering and I agree, she is good. Difficult to get hold of in our part of the world though.
+1 re Chenin Blanc...it is a safe bet, not much that can go wrong and there are some really nice ones to be found.
Lend me your ears

Offline willieopperman

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2016, 09:58:07 AM »
My favourites at the moment  :dop:

Whites
Boland Cellar Chenin
Neil Joubert Chenin
Diemersdal Sauv Blanc
Buitenverwagting Buiten Blanc

Reds
Diemersfontein Pinotage
Mooiplaas The Coco
Perdeberg Smooth Red Blend
Beyerskloof Diesel

Checkers is advertising massive wine specials for tommorrow

Cheers
Forever trusting who we are, and nothing else matters.

Offline BWS

• AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep calm and play Fortnite
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2016, 10:31:49 AM »

Beyerskloof Diesel

That's more of a dialect isn't it ? :giggle:
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline jvr

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2016, 12:13:26 PM »
Neil Joubert Chenin

Checkers is advertising massive wine specials for tommorrow
+1 Neil Joubert...pretty decent Sauvignon Blanc as well...

Thanks for the heads up re Checkers Black Friday.
Lend me your ears

Offline Larry

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2016, 12:44:06 PM »
I think I appear to be in the minority, but the Niel Joubert wines for the most part leave me pretty cold.

But thats the great thing about wine, it extremely subjective, and each to their own.  We're extremely lucky to have a lot of great wine, going at excellent prices.

Offline willieopperman

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2016, 01:18:14 PM »
That's more of a dialect isn't it ? :giggle:

Named after Beyers Truter's dog.  One of his best wines in my opinion  :clap:
Forever trusting who we are, and nothing else matters.

Offline Larry

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2016, 04:05:33 PM »
Woolies 30% off on every two bottles of wine today (35% is you use Woolies card) is brilliant.  Canal Walk recently upgraded their Wine department, there are some really good quality options, Plattekloof no too bad either.

Really good savings to be had!

Spent way to much .... :dop:

Offline vleisman

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2016, 04:48:12 PM »
Cats loves Krone sparkly wine, the Woolies sale is a good deal. I like the idea of champagne, but the taste doesn't do much for me, too much of a brute I'm afraid.

Offline dragonmts

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2016, 04:56:00 PM »
If you're a fan of Nederburg Baronne, pay a visit to Spar and be greedy like me and pick up 4 cases at R49.99 a bottle. Sorted for a while!
If music be the food of life, play on!

Offline Larry

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2016, 05:50:35 PM »
Cats loves Krone sparkly wine, the Woolies sale is a good deal. I like the idea of champagne, but the taste doesn't do much for me, too much of a brute I'm afraid.

If she likes that, pick up a bottle of the Colmont Brut Reserve.  Little more expensive but well worth it.  Only trouble is that availability can be a bit tricky.

That being said, the Krone Brut is excellent value in the MCC space, we drink plenty of it.

Offline PierreM

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2016, 05:51:19 PM »
Woolies is 35% off all wines today, grab the chance and get that Kanonkop Paul Sauer!

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+164)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Condition your mains to condition your ears
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2016, 06:49:04 PM »
Big scrum at Woolies in Constantia.  Wine section is quite small and customers seem terrified they might lose out.  Anyway, managed to "save" R450 so worth the visit.  Champagne at least 20% cheaper than PnP or Ultra
Music is the shorthand of emotion