Author Topic: Évocateur  (Read 847 times)

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Music lover and involved in industry
    • Airmusic
Évocateur
« on: October 27, 2016, 04:00:17 PM »
Inspiration is an interesting concept. What triggers a project, a new development or new design? Sometimes it is slow in the making, like in the case of the Vivacé. Over many years many concepts were played around with, doodling, sketches, prototypes and it was only last year this time that I met Alex, and we nailed the form factor and started to action it. The triggers for the Vocè were a combination of iconic loudspeakers that excel in the midrange above all and when did a number of design studies we knew immediately that we should proceed with the current project.

The Évacateur was born from an increasing need in the marketplace, although still a niche, for a system that would be ideally suited for low powered amps, not flea watt amps but let's say from 10W upwards. The Vivacé could be seen as a step in that direction but many still believe that a well thought through 2way will be kinder to valve, single ended and low powered class A solid state amps. This was, however, the context or need and I had many ideas on how to achieve that and would have kept it on ice until next year.

The real impetus for the Évacateur however, came from a conversation with Per Skaaning about our projects and options. In this conversation, I mentioned the need outlined above and my ideas around how we could possibly design a system to achieve those objectives. What followed was very unexpected and still, makes me tingle with excitement and humble at the same time. He stopped me in my tracks and suggested that I should consider a special driver that he experimented with over the last few months. Not only did he share his excitement about the driver but also without hesitation offered to build a set for me, run a full set of measures on it and courier it free of charge for me to try. Needless to say, I was bowled over with this generous suggestion and accepted his offer. The drivers left Denmark yesterday and will be in Johannesburg next week.

Although we are sweating the small stuff with the Vivacé, and are slowly working on the Vocé, the inspiration for the Èvocateur concept could not be ignored and therefore we will put it on our to-do list as well. Ideally, I would have liked to have been able to launch the other 2 products first but I just could not resist tackling this one as well.

The drivers that are on the way are 220mm units but with special cones, surrounds, voice coil formers and motor system. The bottom line is a driver capable of 96db/w with an FS in the mid-30s(Hz) and RE of 5.8 ohm and that are optimised to work between 25 to 30litres. A system with a sensitivity of at least 93/94db/w and a very amp friendly impedance (nominal 8ohms, minimum 5.8ohms) is therefor possible. The tweeter, crossover and enclosure are not determined yet. My initial thinking is to use the form factor of the Vivace, that the crossover will be between 1.5khz and 2khz with slopes that will be influenced by the off-axis measurements of the midbass and the tweeter that will be used. If I am going to use a dome a waveguide will be almost a given, but there are other options I will look into as well.

There are a number of similar products in the market and many are well received by enthusiast and reviewers alike. So it's not uncharted territory but to have the support of such a world class driver manufacturer is something to be proud of and that I don't take it for granted. Many people view the ability to design and build drivers in-house as an indication of a world class speaker manufacturer, I beg to differ. There are certainly benefits to that strategy but working with a company that has such depth of competence and experience build up over so many years has its own strategic advantages.

So in this thread, I will keep you updated with progress on the Évocateur project, hopefully, some of you are interested in the journey and the concept of such a product.  :coffee:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 04:33:21 PM by Air »

Offline skollie

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth
    • Blue Angel
Re: Évocateur
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 04:20:14 PM »
You seem to be quite liberal with the accents. I'm not sure if some of the names you have chosen for your products have accents.

Just saying although admittedly I have sweet fanny adams to do with what you call them.

skollie
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 04:34:48 PM by Air »
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+55)
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 08:38:15 AM »
Having the power to evoke is one thing but we don't want them causing evac do we? :thinking:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 08:41:02 AM by Kent Kassler »
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline Blue Bull

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Chris
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 01:36:55 PM »
What many want ...a great two way floorstander with easy imp that stays above 5 ohm and around 93dB  :thumbs:
Merlin VSM MXr Master BAM/Leben CS300F/Marantz CD63 MkII KI /MLevinson 36/Sony 790/PS UPC200/Transp Ultra PowerLink/SignalCable pwrcords/Monster M1500i M1000i/Transp Super sp c / Manley Stingray II/Revel M22/Cardas G Ref sp cable.The Gryphon Callisto 2100

Offline Air

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Music lover and involved in industry
    • Airmusic
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 05:29:30 PM »
What many want ...a great two-way floorstander with easy imp that stays above 5 ohm and around 93dB  :thumbs:

All loudspeaker designs represent some compromises, in the end, even if money is no concern at all but a well designed 2 way that is easy to drive can be the cornerstone of a sublime system without breaking the bank, like your own system Chris.  :thumbs:

The drivers arrived safe and sound a week or 2 ago and installed them in  boxes with a set of Mundorf AMT tweeters and a 1st attempt crossover and I have been listening to them for a while now. No over the moon impressions as yet suffice to say that even without much effort it seems to work, I would even say work well. The sensitivity and ease of drive are very obvious, bass extension is probably near that of the Vivacé, a 3 way with a similar sized dedicated bass driver, and the all important midrange detail and naturalness are definitely not lacking.

My main concern, the integration of the biggish midbass driver with the tweeter with their different dispersion patterns in the 1khz-4khz, seems to be so far  not such a big issue subjectively. It is, however, early days and I will only start in earnest with more comprehensive measurements  in the 2nd week of December. I will experiment with different crossover points and typologies and also do a few experiments with a waveguide on the tweeter to see what sounds the best and measures satisfactory.

Oh and in terms of the chosen name and my liberal use of accents, Évocatuer seems to be the correct spelling, but Skollie you have a point in the sense that Voce should be without an accent and in terms of Vivacé, the accent is optional.  :clap:

Offline Nidri

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Don't panic.
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 06:07:12 PM »
A well-sorted 2-way can be magical.
I love my Spendor S8e's.
But they're pretty big, heavy and like lots of power.
This is intriguing.