Poll

Shostakovich is

a genius I love him
OK in small doses but too discordant
Like cats sharpening claws on blackboards

Author Topic: Shostakovich  (Read 681 times)

Offline Davidvdw

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Art destroys silence.
    • Shutterpsych
Shostakovich
« on: October 23, 2016, 12:16:13 PM »
For those whose musical interests extend beyond the top 40 hit list of the 80's (that's when music was really good) ....

Take a listen to Shostakovich's music, by turns discordant, full of restless power, ironic, idealistic, resigned and deeply melodic was written against the backdrop of Stalin's purges and the oppression which characterised Russian communism. As such it has much relevant comment and emotional resonance with the world today.

Just a caution - this music won't roll over and yield itself  like a lonely singleton in a low budge pub after midnight to most listeners.

Symphony 8 - third and fourth movements - a sarcastic comment on war and it's horrors - written at the end of the second world war - publication and premiere delayed until the 60's - staggering
Listen from 34:02 - the movement builds into a frenzy of desparation - it sounds to me that Shostakovich is shrieking "What the fxxk" as the assault of warfare punds - and the segue into the fourth movement - Largo - has to be experienced to be be believed. Of course we can hear Gergiev humming in the background which ruins so many of his recordings .....

Symphony 10 - the second movement - regarded as an epitaph for Stalin - in the right hands it is apocalyptic - here's Gergiev with some youth orchestra doing a creditable job.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSJwP5dvzPg
Take it from 21:07

Start at 17:13 on this clip - The Piano quintet. Lyrical beauty - resignation - acceptance as if of some inalienable tragic truth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YXwE6VTT6g
IF you make it to the end of this clip Dimitry will have his claws in you and you won't look back.

Worth a read is Julian Barne's newest novel - The noise of time https://www.amazon.com/Noise-Time-novel-Julian-Barnes/dp/1101947241

In my view poignant, historically accurate and insightful ...

And Thomas24's HD600's are adding a whole dimension to the listening - must rate as the best return on spend of all recent purchases. :groovy:

Online El Sid

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Shostakovich
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 02:51:44 PM »
Thanks David. Now that i am actively listening to music again i have started listening to more modern composers than my younger tastes accommodated. Eg Bartok Mahler Holst, so given your recommendation i will go and give Shostakovich a whirl

Offline legro

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 07:09:37 AM »
Marked second choice but mostly because of ignorance. Expecting delivery of box set of complete symphonies and 2 piano concertos soon, so will probably be able to give a more informed opinion early next year.

More or less on your recommendations, mr D, so better be good ;D.

Offline Davidvdw

• AVForums Veteran
  • Art destroys silence.
    • Shutterpsych
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 08:34:11 AM »
Earlier in my life I had dismissed Shostakovich as a minor composer too - so be a patient with him. Also - the thing to bear in mind is that he was writing under the almost constant threat of being carted off to the gulag for expressing anti-communist ideology in his music. 

Which box set is winging it's way to you?

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+75)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • “Without music, life would be a mistake.”
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 08:37:40 AM »
Channel 4 TV in The Netherlands has some magnificent live concerts on YouTube of Shostakovich piano concertos.  These are available on YouTube

Offline legro

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 12:15:24 AM »

Which box set is winging it's way to you?

The Symphonies are Naxos with Vasily Petrenko and the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic.

Concerto's are the Vladimir Ashkenazy recordings.

Offline Davidvdw

• AVForums Veteran
  • Art destroys silence.
    • Shutterpsych
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 01:44:06 PM »
Legro both of those are impeccable choices. The Petronko in particular is stunningly recorded and performances are all very highly regarded. I have 8 and 10 in that series abd very interested to hear 7. A real treat ahead for you!

Offline alternativeroute

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • :-)
    • Turntable repairs Cape Town
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 09:25:03 PM »
I hope you are either at the CPO or listening to FMR tonight. Awesome stuff!!! http://www.fmr.co.za/

#5 my favourite  :notworthy:  :notworthy:  :notworthy:

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Offline Davidvdw

• AVForums Veteran
  • Art destroys silence.
    • Shutterpsych
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 09:19:01 PM »
I missed it unfortunately! Will be at the ludwig 9 next Thursday though.

I also love no 5.  :thumbs:

Offline fredeb

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Lost in Music
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 10:51:03 PM »
In 1990 , I was 20 years old , and not having a clue about " Classical music " , I went to the Cape Town library to discover classical . I listened to various composers so as to naturally feel what resonated with me . Shostakovich certainly came out tops for me - perhaps relating to the juxtaposition of misery and airy heights .
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline alternativeroute

• Commercial Member
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 12:09:30 PM »
Here is a great clip of Leonard Bernstein discussing the Shostakovich 9th Symphony: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVfz5YymsXI

Online skollie

• AVForums Veteran
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 01:55:41 PM »
Keep on posting Davidvdw

Lovely, soul-enriching music. I have many Shoshtakovich recordings, most on errr...vinyl.

skollie
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline Davidvdw

• AVForums Veteran
  • Art destroys silence.
    • Shutterpsych
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 03:36:25 PM »
Good old Lenny B. As refined a satyr as ever there was. I have his beethoven ninth taken so slowly in the ode to joy that the whole monument almost loses cohesion and comes crashing down. Gotta love him though.

I think Shostakovich really is one of the giants.

Offline alternativeroute

• Commercial Member
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 05:07:34 PM »
^^^ hehe, he does the opposite with Shostakovich's 5'th - the last movement feels like double time. Apparently Shostakovich liked Bernstein's interpretation though...

Offline Davidvdw

• AVForums Veteran
  • Art destroys silence.
    • Shutterpsych
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 07:21:12 PM »
I drank a can of Coke today that had a Father Christmas on it. The unseasonal decoration of the can got me thinking about the paucity of the sacred in this complex disturbing world we have made. I was in a shopping center at the time so that probably had something to do with this thought too.

I had a fantasy of Easter Coke cans decorated with crucifixes, a promotional stand with the wound in the side gushing Coca Cola onto a chocolate Martyr Longinus. I'm not a religious person at all - I used to be a secular humanist but I've become too misanthropic of late to really embrace that label - but I do see that our material world has stripped the culture of reverence, mystery and revelation. To me classical music is one of the last spaces where these experiences are available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9vADu3i5F8