Author Topic: Help!! Airplay to airport express has intermittent sound  (Read 785 times)

Offline AJB

Help!! Airplay to airport express has intermittent sound
« on: October 19, 2016, 08:36:56 AM »
Just in case anyone can help.  When I airplay tunes from my apple devices via airport express the sound often has momentary breaks.  The internet says I need to load an older driver?  Any experience you can share before I burn it all....

Offline oradba69

Re: Help!! Airplay to airport express has intermittent sound
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 08:50:05 AM »
Battling with the same thing lately.
Using an apple tv2 as an access point on my hifi to stream music to.
Suddenly it started stuttering especially if you open something like photos while streaming.
Does not make sense since it used to be perfect for streaming video in the bedroom that is much further from my router.

found this in my googling effort.

If you have something like a netgear router ( other routers also support QoS (Quality of Service) settings.  with netgear click the advanced tab under setup. you can enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings. There are also some other settings like enabling Internet QoS. There might be a setting for QOS priority list. If you set the router to assign you devices to a static address. Read the router manual to do this most consumer routers make doing this easy under the advanced settings.
Then you can put your devices like the appleTV and your laptop as the top on the QoS priority list.
Your router will give priority to multimedia traffic (like games or other network hogs, like video). If the router support a QoS list then doing the extra steps to assign IP addresses and adding them to the priority list insures that those devices come first.

This does not help me though since I have an airport extreme as my router.
Manufacturer of Audio Video furniture.
Importer and distributor of Trichord.
http://www.lerange.co.za

Offline AJB

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 10:27:03 AM »
Thanks Ora

I don't think it is my router as when I set up the Airport Express as a 'stand alone' network dedicated to the music (ie not as a wifi extender) it still does the broken signal nonsense.  Maybe I just need to change to an Apple TV but that will go through my wifi network anyway!  Stumped....

Offline Nidri

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 07:21:14 PM »
Are you using a DAC via optical out?
Or the direct analogue output?
Whilst Nidri takes reasonable care to ensure that the information in this message is correct and up to date, this might not always be the case. Nidri does not give any warranties as to the accuracy and safety of any information appearing in this message.