Author Topic: MAGNEPAN......The Maggie Story  (Read 671 times)

Offline BJ

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+4)
MAGNEPAN......The Maggie Story
« on: October 12, 2016, 02:45:21 PM »
Panels......you either Love them, or hate them. One of the few alternative's to box designs to survive. ....still going strong after 47 years.
Started as a Stereo speaker manufacturer, the Product Range nowadays include models for Stereo and AV. With Center speaker models, Bass panels and Surrounds.

Shunyata - See No Evil; Hear No Evil

Offline ghostinthemachine

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+12)
    • Dewaudio
Re: MAGNEPAN......The Maggie Story
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 02:53:18 PM »
Made in 'merica. Sold in China.. Cool stuff!
Let the music speak...

Offline Triton

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 09:39:42 PM »
Maggie's truly are the bees knees!  :2thumbs:

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 11:24:47 AM »
Took my woman the other day to AV shop in High street to show here the 84 inch Sharp Led tv " she didn't want to believe me that you get that size tv's" and so a set of Panels is standing on display. She was like what is this and on here way to feel what it is I stop her. Explained her it speakers and she was like  :moron: So explained to how it works and she couldn't believe it. 

Offline carel1966

• AVForums Veteran
  • Centurion
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 05:32:02 PM »
Trying a pair of 3.7i's over the weekend. Not sure if the rest of my system is up to scratch, but should be interisting.
As long as I can still enjoy the music I'm happy.

PS: My listening preference - 90% Stereo Music; 9% Surround Music; 1% Movies and other

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 06:50:16 PM »
I was amazed to see they have a $600 pair (MMGs), always thought they started at at least $2000
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline Crashappy

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 05:02:42 PM »
The MMG's are great value. I bought a set in December 2015 for my 2nd room. Asked Ben whether I should spring for a sub with these. His advice was to listen to them and report back. Man was I amazed at the LF of these babies. Thats in a  4 x 5 m room.

Offline Jademichael06

• AVForums Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 08:41:52 PM »
Bought a pair of .7's from CAD last year and love them. They sound amazing. .

These definitely changed my perspective of sound. I never thought that a non boxed construction could produce equal, if not better in some cases, against boxed traditional speaker design!

I can only imagine what they sound like with more than 200wpc.

Offline BJ

• Commercial Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 02:42:43 PM »
Thx J
Yes the MG.7''s are truly special,  taking into consideration their cost.
As the Maggie Importer you can certainly count me Biased....but I just luv the sound of the panels, especially the latest lineup....
I have always been a Panel man. Having owned early Maggie 80''s; Apogee's; Soundalab''s and Martin Login....

The dipole just work for me, and if done right (proper amps with ample current and control) together with the wide window and opened sound stage, they are very difficult to beat.
Still today I can't stand the sound of a conventional subwoofer with my Panels in my personal system. But then I have always tried to have the best Source ( both digital and Analogue) with over the top power amps driving my Panels.

You either luv or hate panels....but the one thing that always amazes me is that even when people move on to other loudspeaker designs, they will always refer back to the musicality of the panels.

Happy listening :2thumbs:

Offline Jademichael06

• AVForums Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 03:09:10 PM »
Thank you! will certainly reach out to you when looking for another set!  :groovy:

BTW, what do you thing about using the .7 as front speakers for a HT setup?

Offline BJ

• Commercial Member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 09:15:37 PM »
Few people are aware that Magnepan offer the complete lineup to complete home theater....

They have 3 Center channel speakers, 2 dedicated surround models and an array of models to use for front speakers.

The MG.7's will work as mains, and I have clients running that configuration for HT. The only criteria is to have proper amps to drive them.....preferably separate power amps and not integrated AV.....

Online CAD

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 12:57:58 AM »
+1 on the .7's requiring proper amplification and I also wouldn't recommend trying to run them with an AVR.
They are an incredible set of speakers but needed good solid power.They sounded fantastic on the Theta and Parasound A21 I had on loan.
The way of the warrior is NO match for the way of the wife.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Jademichael06

• AVForums Member
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 06:27:56 PM »
Thanks guys for the reply,

Running them on the Rotel RB1552 MKII - 120wpc @8ohm, they sound good but you are right that they need more power!