Garrard 301 Plinth Build...

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alternativeroute

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
So I had this Garrad 301 lying around that I picked up last year... Let it sit whilst I made up my mind as too which direction I wanted to go in...

I also picked up a Thorens TD124 last year and I decided I was going to sell the Garrard and keep the Thorens TD124... See here: http://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,4827.0.html

Anyway, before I put the Garrard up I took it out and tested the platter so that I know what I am selling (i.e. dead or alive)... No all good. 33.3 rpm could not be selected. The whole mechanism would seize up... Bugger. So I posted the sale as a restoration project... No takers (yet)... (could also be the way I 'packaged' everything to sell)...

Chatting to a local turn-tablist and he mentioned to me that mentioning broken won't help my cause as far as the sale goes...

This week I had a chance to properly look at the turntable to see if there was something I could fix... Lotsa looking and lotsa Googling later I found the solution... So Easy! There are two screws that adjust the motor suspension. All I need to do was adjust that until the speed selector mechanism was all in line again. Hey presto. 33.3 works again...

At the same time a SME3012 came up for a good price but missing pieces... Turns out I had the missing pieces at hand so I bought the arm and decided to do a plinth for the Garrard with the arm. Maybe increase my chances of selling and at the same time I get to see what the Garrard is like... Win Win... I hope...

I decided to do the laminated plywood type plinth... There is lost undecided for now now like finish etc...

4633117732_6b65ba5c16_o.jpg

Marking Out

4632521983_7af7034ed2_o.jpg

First Cuts

4633118288_bd35b09ebd_o.jpg

Dry Fit

4633118504_cb8b250740_o.jpg

Checking Clearance & Fit

4633118776_d116f667f7_o.jpg

First Lamination

Latest posts