Author Topic: Durban Members  (Read 50410 times)

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
Re: Durban Members
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2016, 03:49:10 PM »
If I can make it, Castle Knight 1s can come along with me.  Good budget bookshelves.
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline georgew

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2016, 04:08:36 PM »
Ah..those Knight 1's are awesome. The finish on those cabinets are unbelievable for a budget speaker. I reluctantly sold mine. :vsad:
He who questions training only trains himself in asking questions!

Offline Coach

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2016, 04:22:27 PM »
I had to give her my castle knight 2 as part of the divorce settlement.  :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger:

Offline naughty

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2016, 04:27:21 PM »
I can bring my DM2/7s along. Their stands are bloody heavy though but I can make a plan.

Hey Koogs as Ray suggests we can make use of the bakkie to pick up the stands if you need .... let me know

also in terms of bookshelves i can bring along some Tannoy MX1s ..... and maybe a set of stands as well

Offline Coach

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2016, 04:29:38 PM »
love it when the plan comes together  :Whoohoo: :Whoohoo: :Whoohoo:

Offline AnarchyR

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2016, 04:31:34 PM »
Hey Koogs as Ray suggests we can make use of the bakkie to pick up the stands if you need .... let me know

Nithin im sorry to suggest with out your consent...
I know you are a great mate and always will to help like you have done for me...

Offline AnarchyR

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2016, 04:35:44 PM »
Come to think of a good pair of stands will come in handy given this is a bookshelf run...
Nithin you make some great stands too...
I have a spare pair will bring it along.

Offline naughty

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2016, 04:48:35 PM »
oh and just saying .... even though bookshelves may be the subject of comparison here this doesnt preclude anyone bringing anything they may wish to sell or trade or put out into the open market since this could be a good way to give any equipment like that exposure even if we dont include it into comparisons  :thumbs: ..... so in that respect it can be a bring whatever you like situation

Nithin im sorry to suggest with out your consent...

hey Ray no stress .... its all good  :thumbs:

Eish..sold my Castles and only have floor standers now, but I do have a pair of Boston A23s (satellite) and an Arcam Ir DAC.

well we can make it speakers and include floorstanders if people like ... and we can bring along any type of speakers so we can compare using one system ie one source and one amp so all we need to do is keep disconnecting whatever we have just listened to and just connect another pair and start listening again

or if people want we can leave floorstanders for the another meeting .... in terms of portable DACs i think we can bring those along at every meeting since you can connect those to a portable source like phones or tablets and listen to the dacs via headphones ..... Johnny P seems to have a nice collection

Offline Coach

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2016, 05:48:13 PM »
Let's take it from the bookshelf turnout. If we have enough bookshelfs coming through then we can leave the floorstanders for another date.
If the guys could mention what they would bring through then we can see if we can accommodate the floorstanders.

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2016, 05:59:58 PM »
May seem silly but I don't use the portable DACs for headphones (well, not normally) the uDSD has analogue outs so is the digital input to my valve amp (so I can listen to FLAC files), the Cambridge is connected to the Technics at work to listen to iTunes or soundcloud/bandcamp via a 3,5mm to RCA.  The third DAC is connected in to the stereo but is book sized so easy enough to put into a bacpac.  Unfortunately my phone doesn't have much music on it as its all on iPod.
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline naughty

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2016, 06:52:08 PM »
May seem silly but I don't use the portable DACs for headphones (well, not normally) the uDSD has analogue outs so is the digital input to my valve amp (so I can listen to FLAC files), the Cambridge is connected to the Technics at work to listen to iTunes or soundcloud/bandcamp via a 3,5mm to RCA.  The third DAC is connected in to the stereo but is book sized so easy enough to put into a bacpac.  Unfortunately my phone doesn't have much music on it as its all on iPod.

in that respect then maybe we should leave the Dacs to their own comparison meet .... though you have plenty as a start  ;) - i also have a uDSD which i use mainly in a fixed setup but my portable setup is also geared to use ie the tablet is also ready to use the DAC with my sennheiser headphones

the thing with Dacs is that we will then need a PC with all the relevant software loaded for all the DACs to work and when we do the DAC comparisons then maybe i can bring along a microserver where we can load all the software and some music for the comparison purposes so all we need to do is change the DAC and assign the driver software

then whoever brings a DAC just needs to carry the software installation files in a flash drive so we can load it onto the PC ..... unless they have a laptop with all the files already loaded then we can use that as a source too  ;)

i have to stress that the initial events are for a more leisurely purpose and for the purposes of meeting like minded individuals who share our hobbies though at some unspecified time in the future i would love to run some kind of serious blind testing (either ABX or DBT if we can source the hardware required for DBT tests) so we get some kind of accurate reference .... for now though it would be perfectly fine if we just run some fun music minded tests and share opinions and do it as a form of social event with a Hi-fi slant

if and when we run a blind test we wont force anyone to be a part of those ie only volunteers but its difficult to get the actual hardware .... for example to use the same source and speakers but switch between multiple amps which can be level matched (to have a switching unit that doesnt make a click when selecting a specific output so you cant easily detect when its being switched via external factors like clicking noises from those relays etc)

till then we keep it a bit more informal and fun for everyone  :thumbs:

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2016, 07:52:40 PM »
That's why I use a Mac, no driver issues with anything!

Offline Anzdaman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Junior Member
  • Stay Grounded
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2016, 08:19:16 PM »
Hey guys Andrew here, finally found the thread, looks like I am an avforum member after all. Did receive an invite to join the festivities in November. Looking forward to it. Thanx for allowing  me the honour and privilege. :clap:
In pursuit of the perfect sound system,but my wife said NO,forget about it!!!

Offline SOC

« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2016, 07:09:26 AM »
ok cool, bookshelves it is. So I can bring along a pair of Polk TSI 100's if it's ok? I'm not much of a critical listener, more of a music enjoyer (for lack of a better word)...but I'm looking forward to it.

Can anyone please PM me the address?

Offline HBAutomation

« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2016, 10:55:34 AM »
Only stumbled on this now.  :facepalm: I can't make this one but would love to be involved in future get togethers.
Hope this becomes a sticky!!!
When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take It!            [Yogi Berra]