Author Topic: Which proper 4K UHD certified TV's are available in RSA?  (Read 2979 times)

Offline KLK

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Member
Re: Which proper 4K UHD certified TV's are available in RSA?
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2016, 01:01:50 PM »
ANY high-speed HDMI cable will work with 2.0a, you do NOT need fancy cables for it.

yeah aware of that just saying bit hard to source a HDMI 2a cable.

Offline KLK

• AVForums Member
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2016, 01:03:29 PM »
For Ultra HD Premium certification the TV at minimum needs the following:

Image Resolution: 38402160

Colour Bit Depth: 10-bit signal

Colour Gamut:
Signal Input: BT.2020 color representation
Display Reproduction: More than 90% of DCI-P3 colours

High Dynamic Range:
SMPTE ST2084 EOTF

Contrast performance:
More than 1000 nits peak brightness and less than 0.05 nits black level; or
More than 540 nits peak brightness and less than 0.0005 nits black level

The max refresh rate TVs accept is 60Hz, as the HDTV standard refresh rates are 24Hz/30Hz/50Hz/60Hz (to round off). Panels that advertise higher refresh rates than that are not talking about what they can accept but rather what they output.

The reason why they have these higher refresh rates is because of their motion resolution improving systems, "Motionflow", "Auto Motion", "Smooth Motion" etc. They take the existing signal and merge each consecutive frame then insert that interpolated frame between the original frames. The extra "Hz" are where those frames slot in. If you don't make use of those features then you don't benefit from the 120Hz aspect of the panel.

LG uses IPS panels which are not known for their contrast, my guess is they fall short of the minimum spec in that regard. LG's OLEDs make certification though (but I do feel the low peak brightness requirement for OLED is something of a concession to the technology).

Yes, the JS9500 on paper makes the cut, but I couldn't tell you if everything was properly implemented.

Thanks Ken appreciate it!  :2thumbs:

Offline KenMasters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2016, 01:03:58 PM »
yeah aware of that just saying bit hard to source a HDMI 2a cable.

What he's saying is there's no such thing as a 2.0a cable, you just need a High Speed (CAT 2) HDMI cable.

Offline KLK

• AVForums Member
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2016, 02:49:56 PM »
What he's saying is there's no such thing as a 2.0a cable, you just need a High Speed (CAT 2) HDMI cable.

sorry noob here, that a normal hdmi 2 cable then?

Offline KenMasters

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2016, 04:04:35 PM »
sorry noob here, that a normal hdmi 2 cable then?

There are only two kinds of HDMI cable, Category 1 or "Standard" cables and Category 2 or "High Speed" cables - you want High Speed cables. Version numbers like HDMI 1.4 or HDMI 2.0 refer to the hardware, the cable remains the same.

Offline KLK

• AVForums Member
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2016, 09:46:39 AM »
Thanks Ken appreciate it :2thumbs:

Offline vee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2016, 09:02:29 AM »
hi all i have followed this thread with interest and may now be in the market for a new tv. I have a series 5 Samsung 50" plasma which has developed a line going down the screen on the right side...
Do you think this is repairable or am I gonna have to pony up for a new TV soon? (sorry if I'm hijacking this thread with my issue)

With all the talk of UltraHD etc etc how does it actually look - i bought a plasma as I felt the image was warmer than LCD - some LCD images looked a bit 'fake' or too real for me - does the new standard address this?

Offline KenMasters

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2016, 09:18:01 AM »
hi all i have followed this thread with interest and may now be in the market for a new tv. I have a series 5 Samsung 50" plasma which has developed a line going down the screen on the right side...
Do you think this is repairable or am I gonna have to pony up for a new TV soon? (sorry if I'm hijacking this thread with my issue)

With all the talk of UltraHD etc etc how does it actually look - i bought a plasma as I felt the image was warmer than LCD - some LCD images looked a bit 'fake' or too real for me - does the new standard address this?

Each display technology has its own strengths and weaknesses, regardless of the content its rendering. Having said that, one display's image appearing warmer than anothers could be due to the colour temperature setting and images looking fake could be due to the engagement of post processing features - not necessarily the panel type itself.

What I can say though is that the Ultra HD standard's high peak brightness does play to that traditional LCD strength - though a deep black level still remains desireable. At the present moment an LCD coupled with an effective full array local dimming system offers the best Ultra HD performance - though I don't believe these panels are available in South Africa. For SD/HD content you're not going to find better than an OLED - which also does a fine job of Ultra HD, but doesn't have the pop or highlight range of its LCD counterparts

Offline vee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2016, 03:49:11 PM »
Each display technology has its own strengths and weaknesses, regardless of the content its rendering. Having said that, one display's image appearing warmer than anothers could be due to the colour temperature setting and images looking fake could be due to the engagement of post processing features - not necessarily the panel type itself.

What I can say though is that the Ultra HD standard's high peak brightness does play to that traditional LCD strength - though a deep black level still remains desireable. At the present moment an LCD coupled with an effective full array local dimming system offers the best Ultra HD performance - though I don't believe these panels are available in South Africa. For SD/HD content you're not going to find better than an OLED - which also does a fine job of Ultra HD, but doesn't have the pop or highlight range of its LCD counterparts
thanks Kenmasters!

Offline robertl

• AVForums Member
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2016, 04:42:49 PM »
Hi all
will we ever have 4k or higher content ever being
broadcast here in south africa, i don't think so
therefore i will stay with a good fhd tv for years to come
just my thoughts
thanks cheers

Offline Yossarian

• AVForums Member
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2016, 08:19:37 AM »
Hi all
will we ever have 4k or higher content ever being
broadcast here in south africa, i don't think so
therefore i will stay with a good fhd tv for years to come
just my thoughts
thanks cheers

Netflix already broadcasts UHD content. so its already here

Offline robertl

• AVForums Member
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2016, 05:33:32 PM »
How expensive is Netflix from month to month
when you have to pay in dollars with the Rand
fluctuating ever day
thanks

Offline reactor_sa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2016, 09:46:07 PM »
How expensive is Netflix from month to month
when you have to pay in dollars with the Rand
fluctuating ever day
thanks
Less than dstv

Online Dolby

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2016, 04:25:43 PM »
Netflix already broadcasts UHD content. so its already here

Even our local store ?

Offline Yossarian

• AVForums Member
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2016, 11:10:25 AM »
Even our local store ?

House of Cards should and most newly produced Netflix content bearing in mind you will need a stable line speed of above 20mbs (i read that somewhere so not confirmed by myself)