Author Topic: Which proper 4K UHD certified TV's are available in RSA?  (Read 4492 times)

Offline Juggy

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town
Which proper 4K UHD certified TV's are available in RSA?
« on: September 30, 2016, 10:50:14 AM »
I'm looking at possibly going UHD, there have been conversations in abundance about 4K however I don't recall seeing one that dealt with what certified 4K TV's are available is RSA

Does anyone know?
| Lounge System | Samsung UA55F8000 | Onkyo TX-RZ1100 | Tannoy XT 8F | Tannoy XT C | Intel NUC |
| Braai System | Samsung UA40J5300 | Sansui AU-222 | Intel NUC | Paradigm Mini Monitor V2 |

Offline Juggy

• AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town
| Lounge System | Samsung UA55F8000 | Onkyo TX-RZ1100 | Tannoy XT 8F | Tannoy XT C | Intel NUC |
| Braai System | Samsung UA40J5300 | Sansui AU-222 | Intel NUC | Paradigm Mini Monitor V2 |

Offline ScottulusMaximus

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Which proper 4K UHD certified TV's are available in RSA?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 10:59:39 AM »
Look for this:

If it doesn't have that logo somewhere then it's unlikely to be a "real" UHD TV

List of possibilities here:

http://www.whathifi.com/advice/ultra-hd-premium-what-are-specs-which-tvs-support-it
Importing made easy!

Offline Juggy

• AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 11:03:21 AM »
So this would probably suffice then?

CEA 4K UHD Certified
Yes

Offline KenMasters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 11:22:44 AM »
The entire KS range is Ultra HD Premium certified (note the logo on the UK website, don't know why the U.S. insists on being different):

http://www.samsung.com/uk/tv/KS8000/

I'd wait to see what shakes out at CES in January before making a purchase though, you might just kick yourself for buying now if 100/120Hz makes its debut next year and current sets turn out not to be firmware upgradeable.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 11:28:50 AM by KenMasters »

Offline Juggy

• AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 11:37:15 AM »
The entire KS range is Ultra HD Premium certified (note the logo on the UK website, don't know why the U.S. insists on being different):

http://www.samsung.com/uk/tv/KS8000/

I'd wait to see what shakes out at CES in January before making a purchase though, you might just kick yourself for buying now if 100/120Hz makes its debut next year and current sets turn out not to be firmware upgradeable.

Thanks Ken, I will probably do that. I recently upgraded my AVR to an Onkyo TX-RZ1100 which support HDCP2.2 so now the process of aligning everything else starts

Offline KenMasters

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 02:35:05 PM »
Thanks Ken, I will probably do that. I recently upgraded my AVR to an Onkyo TX-RZ1100 which support HDCP2.2 so now the process of aligning everything else starts

Nice! Interesting to see Onkyo has gone the class D route, the Pioneer influence coming in there.

Offline KLK

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 03:09:31 PM »

Hey Juggy,also been eyeing that particular model as well, btw sorry bit of noob question why would 100/120 hZ matter that the refresh rate?

Offline KenMasters

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 04:30:26 PM »
Hey Juggy,also been eyeing that particular model as well, btw sorry bit of noob question why would 100/120 hZ matter that the refresh rate?

It's a big increase to the temporal resolution, current broadcast frame rates for fast action sports aren't high enough to track fast moving objects and keep individual fast motion frames crisp. Who's to say when you'll see this come to S.A., but if you plan on owning your new Ultra HDTV for any length of time it would be nice to have it in place when it does arrive.

Offline Des Miles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 05:29:25 PM »
Until the dust has settled w.r.t. certified UHD TV's in SA (price & availability). I'm going for a 55" FHD LG that's on special at Dion Wired for R10K (was R12K). This should complement, quite nicely, the Minix Neo U1 that I recently acquired, together with existing Yamaha AVR. In 2 years time when the LG's warranty expires, we should know where we stand on proper UHD TV over here.

Offline BoerieZA

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 09:01:07 AM »
Folks, the dust isn't going to settle on TV "standards" for a long time. The only thing that "premium UHD" logo means is that it supports the correct resolution and also some form of HDR. HDR, which is being heavily punted, is just another way of outdating previous UHD televisions and making people feel like they need to upgrade yet again. Every coming year will see some new feature which you'll apparently "have to have". Why? Because that's the only reason they can get out of the world-wide LCD sales slump.

Whilst people have been inundated with HDR marketing, the corporate wheel has already started with their next plan which is OLED. Personally I actually  like the tech behind OLED monitors but I believe they're going to suffer from burn-in issues (not really burn in, but it will have the same effect).

I just paid R45,000 for a 75" UHD Samsung. It doesn't have HDR and the backlighting is a little cloudy - but damn, considering that Samsung's  new 65" HDR capable TV's cost >R60,000 I think I got a bargain and I won't be upgrading any time soon!

Offline ScottulusMaximus

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 09:12:16 AM »
Folks, the dust isn't going to settle on TV "standards" for a long time. The only thing that "premium UHD" logo means is that it supports the correct resolution and also some form of HDR.

Totally and completely wrong... It's called a standard for a reason, that's what UHD will be broadcast in, everywhere.

"Previous UHD televisions" are simply not true UHD, that was the marketing bull, not the new logo. It's like when HD came along and everyone rushed out to buy HD Ready TV's, then came along FullHD TV's and the moaning started, same thing happening with UHD.

OLED has nothing to do with this, it's analogous to plasma vs LED, just two different approaches, both were capable of "HD" certification. Both OLED and LED TV's will be capable of true 4k.

Importing made easy!

Offline KLK

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 09:45:43 AM »
It's a big increase to the temporal resolution, current broadcast frame rates for fast action sports aren't high enough to track fast moving objects and keep individual fast motion frames crisp. Who's to say when you'll see this come to S.A., but if you plan on owning your new Ultra HDTV for any length of time it would be nice to have it in place when it does arrive.

Thanks Ken, you the man :thumbs:

Offline BoerieZA

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 02:20:44 PM »
Totally and completely wrong... It's called a standard for a reason, that's what UHD will be broadcast in, everywhere.

"Previous UHD televisions" are simply not true UHD, that was the marketing bull, not the new logo. It's like when HD came along and everyone rushed out to buy HD Ready TV's, then came along FullHD TV's and the moaning started, same thing happening with UHD.

OLED has nothing to do with this, it's analogous to plasma vs LED, just two different approaches, both were capable of "HD" certification. Both OLED and LED TV's will be capable of true 4k.

That "standard" is very, very flexible and is driven by money. Watch and learn, the "standard" will change often with every new gimmick that's going to come along. No amount of stickers or stamps should force savvy people into thinking that they somehow have inferior products when the only motivation of those markings are to drive profits. Like I said, HDR is this years "must-have" logo-certified tech. Next year will be something else -> probably with a new logo.

both were capable of "HD" certification. Both OLED and LED TV's will be capable of true 4k.

The argument is not whether they cater for "true 4k" or not. 4k is quite easy to achieve if you stick to the correct pixel stacking method and resolution. I believe LG and Samsung had a nice war going on with Samsung's 4K implementation being accepted as the correct way of doing it in the end.

However, the argument comes with that lovely "Ultra HD Premium" logo which somehow marks anything without it as inferior. The difference between an UHD TV with that logo and without it? HDR (nits brightness max and min etc). To make things worse, some TV's sporting that Ultra HD Logo do have HDR, but their implementation of that leaves a lot to be desired (looking at you, LG). So that UltraHD Premium logo should mean absolutely nothing because it's only there to show that it supports the CURRENT gimmick of the year, which we all know will change next year.

Just because a TV doesn't have the UHD Premium logo on it, does NOT mean it doesn't have True 4K. It only means that it probably doesn't support HDR which has sweet blue f'all to do with resolution and 4K in general.

Here's a practical example: My television is a 75JU6400 Samsung LED LCD Television. Does it support true 4k resolution? Yes. Does it support HDR? No. So does it have the UltraHD Premium logo? No. But it's still a true UHD television? Yes.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 02:33:04 PM by BoerieZA »

Offline ScottulusMaximus

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2016, 02:33:43 PM »
^^^ Nope ^^^

UltraHD Premium is NOT just HDR.
4k is not UHD

UHD is UltraHD Premium.

It's not going anywhere.

Fact is everyone who bought a 4k TV in the last year just bought HD Ready instead of Full HD...

Whether this will be a problem is not very likely. Is going to be a while(probably a long while, if ever) until proper UHD content is mainstream.
Importing made easy!