Reciever upgrade

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ch@pS

Reaction score
Hey all, another question thread, here goes.

At the Moment I have a NAD T741 AV Reciever, great bit of kit that I picked up earlier this year at a bargain price. However my dad's been eyeing it(want something a bit better for the lounge) so here's the oppertunity to upgrade. I've got the following choices that I can get for pretty much under a grand if my dad takes the NAD.

Option 1: Sony STR-K1500

Can't really find specs on this one, taken a look at it for 5 mins, and I see that it has HDMI, which is a bonus! Beyond that I don't know much about it, so my questions are:

Option 2: Yamaha RX-V461

Ok, so pushing 100w at 8Ohm across all 5 channels is a bonus, and the rest of the specs don't look too bad either. http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/yamaha-rx-v461/4507-6466_7-32556960.html?tag=mncolBtm;rnav

Bear in mind I'll only be putting in R1000 to upgrade to either of the above, not really much. Is it worth the extra money? Are either of these good buys? I can't really Demo them properly in my listening enviroment unfortunately.

Alternatively, anyone got some decent kit that they're looknig to flog for around R3000?

Or should I scrap all of this and buy myself a pool table? :D

Looking forward to your comments, and if you have any uselful links I'd really appreciate them. :)