Author Topic: Technics SB-G750  (Read 1804 times)

Offline Gareth80

Technics SB-G750
« on: September 25, 2016, 04:17:45 PM »
Hi all. Received a pair of Technics SB-G750 as a gift. Pretty sure they are from the 80's. The sound really good.

Been trying to find online resources on them. Cant really find anything.

Has anyone had a pair? Opinions?

Questions,

1. It looks like someone spilled coffee or something on one of the woofer cones. Any advise on the best way to clean it?
2. One of the mids dust caps have been pushed in. What is the best way to pull it out. Seems to be metal and I'm wondering if using pres stick will do the trick.
3. The subwoofer has a weird plastic dust cap. Is it just for show or does it serve some purpose (other than a normal dustcap)?

Sent from my Xperia Z3 using Tapatalk

Offline baz

Re: Technics SB-G750
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 02:07:44 PM »
Nice looking  :2thumbs:

Offline HBAutomation

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 03:01:32 PM »
They look awesome. I have never heard or seen them before... have you asked the Wizard? :shh:
When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take It!            [Yogi Berra]

Offline Gareth80

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 04:41:38 PM »
Thanks guys. When I first saw them I was a bit sceptical but to be honest I think they are amazing. Who is the wizard?

Offline HBAutomation

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 05:19:16 PM »
Thanks guys. When I first saw them I was a bit sceptical but to be honest I think they are amazing. Who is the wizard?

In the pics! :giggle:
When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take It!            [Yogi Berra]

Offline Gareth80

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 07:29:37 PM »
Oh ha ha ;D  ;D

Offline DeonC

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 06:53:40 PM »
3. The subwoofer has a weird plastic dust cap. Is it just for show or does it serve some purpose (other than a normal dustcap)?

IIRC, purely for show. :cool: ;D

Opnions?

I remember lusting after these in the 80s. Nothing specific to do with their sound, more because of the BIG woofers and the 'Super Bass' (always been a bass-freak, still am). I am glad they sound good. Maybe Steerpike can tell you more. :)
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Offline Gareth80

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 07:28:55 PM »
When they were given to me I was like... What the hell are these. Laughed cause they had tone LEDs that light up... Was laughing until I heard them. Loving them...

Offline Gareth80

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 06:56:57 PM »
Just hooked these up to the Sansui Au-999 and they sound very very good

Offline Steerpike

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 11:11:54 PM »
I recall the 'flavour' - if not the exact model - from around 1982/1983.
I doubt they will take 330W RMS, but nobody in their right mind could tolerate that sort of sound level in a home.

I have read of people using leather dye to "fix" stained woofer cones, but then you do have to change the whole thing to a darker colour.

The dust cap is unlikely to ever look good again, but you could cut it out and replace it with a generic black fabric one. It might by aluminised mylar, in which case it will pop out if you pull on it - prestick maybe, or suck it with a soft rubber hose (vacuum cleaner too violent and unpredictable).
Contact lens dealers sell a thing that looks like a tiny rubber toilet plunger (to hold a contact lens), which might be useful.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 11:17:38 PM by Steerpike »

Offline Gareth80

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 06:52:53 PM »
I recall the 'flavour' - if not the exact model - from around 1982/1983.
I doubt they will take 330W RMS, but nobody in their right mind could tolerate that sort of sound level in a home.

I have read of people using leather dye to "fix" stained woofer cones, but then you do have to change the whole thing to a darker colour.

The dust cap is unlikely to ever look good again, but you could cut it out and replace it with a generic black fabric one. It might by aluminised mylar, in which case it will pop out if you pull on it - prestick maybe, or suck it with a soft rubber hose (vacuum cleaner too violent and unpredictable).
Contact lens dealers sell a thing that looks like a tiny rubber toilet plunger (to hold a contact lens), which might be useful.
Thanks Steerpike.

Rather not going to tamper with the cones. Never take the covers and the coffee stain gives them uniqueness

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk