Author Topic: Awesome site  (Read 648 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
Awesome site
« on: September 24, 2016, 04:25:19 PM »
Found this guys website after looking at speaker builds for Vifa 5" drivers. I think its a very useful sight for anyone wanting to diy a pair of cabs. Nice clear illustrations, cab dimensions, xovers with layouts etc. Including the Tannoy Monitor Gold MG15 Crossover Up-Grade for those of you that have them.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Loudspeaker_Projects.htm

Offline Gareth80

• AVForums Veteran
Re: Awesome site
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 08:46:14 PM »
Wow.. Very cool site. Would love to build something like these. Would be awesome if available locally. http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/SBAcoustics-3WC.htm

Sent from my Xperia Z3 using Tapatalk

Online bbe22

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 09:05:15 PM »
Hi Gareth
No I am not Troels..........
If you are interested in  a 8 inch 3 way look at
http://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,29066.0.html     which is a local (my) design
Cheers     Brian

Offline Mongoose

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 09:11:45 PM »
Brian, I was told that you work is top notch, and after going through the thread you suggested, all I can say is  :notworthy: :notworthy:

Offline Gareth80

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 06:14:29 AM »
Wow Brian. Really impressed. Really nice job. I am a big fan of the 3 way plain box speakers. (As per the link I sent). Do you bring those speakers in specially for builds or do you keep stock locally. Itching to start a build myself for something I can say I built and be proud of it. Cant really find many speakers locally to use.

Online ScottulusMaximus

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 09:51:43 AM »
Visaton kit from blizzard or chris at pqsound.co.za is a good starting point. Easy cabs and whole kits are available.

Smaller drivers(say up to 8") I can bring in for you, larger than that will get expensive quickly due to the weight.

The drivers are easy to source, it's the x-over components that you generally have to import.
Importing made easy!

Online bbe22

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 02:06:22 PM »
Hi @ Gareth
 - good advice from Scott he can help you source if necc
 - the drivers + Xover components  for the Troels kit will be in the 400+ Euro's plus shippping and clearance so you looking at 10 - 12 G at least   perhaps Scott can give you a quote. Those SB drivers sure are quality and Troels'  kits are usually well sorted if you go that route. To get to same in commercial speakers will cost multiples eg look at  Harbeth or Spendor
For  the WL3  3 way      I have some xtra drivers in my stash so probably can hook up  someone interested . Looking at about 6 G
for those drivers  and  Xover extra . Box shape can be changed to customer preference, the (Vifa 8 inch) bass needs about 20 litres nett, can be a bit larger too.

@ Mongoose thanks   :)

Offline Gareth80

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 02:46:54 PM »
Thanks gents. So I think I want to build something along these lines. http://grizzlyaudio.blogspot.co.za/p/2ca-1251-active-dsp-12-inch-3-way-build.html?m=1
The cabinets look like a mission and I am probably chewing off more than incan swallow. Really like the 70's looking 3 way speakers. To be honest I know relatively nothing about specifications for cabinets in relation to the speakers / drivers neither do I know or understand the fundamentals around crossovers. I known what look I want and the rest I suppose is going to be a journey.