Author Topic: Sound characterisitcs of Exclame Vs Predator  (Read 1152 times)

Offline PottieP

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Member
Sound characterisitcs of Exclame Vs Predator
« on: September 23, 2016, 08:01:53 AM »
Hi,

I hope I am not being thick here for asking this question.

I know there is a difference in power between the two amps.

Is there someone that can give me a description of the sound characteristics of each of these amps, if they do sound different from one another.

My new listening space is not big and I will be running bookshelf's. 

I know there is no replacement for power, but I have the luxury of not having to worry of needing lots of power, not that the Exclame has any problem with power.

Thanks,

Andre
Waste money not time.

Offline Nirvana

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Very Addicted
Re: Sound characterisitcs of Exclame Vs Predator
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 11:23:49 AM »
Hi Andre,

For most bookshelves,especially in a smaller room,the Exclame should be sufficient,imo.
For more serious standmounts and a bigger room,the Predator will be well worth the extra layout.

Signature wise they are quite similar,but the Predator will definitely optimise the SQ of a more serious/more demanding hi-end speaker in all departments.
For the specific speakers you have in mind,perhaps it's best to ask Spyderman his opinion re best value? Unless you foresee upgrading soon?
 :2c:
Never b flat,never b sharp,always b natural

Offline Schalk

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • valveaudio@absamail.co.za
    • Valve Audio
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 11:27:20 AM »
Hi André

Moeilike antwoord. Die nuwe Ex nou nader met 150 per kanaal. Dan ook oor so 2 maande verder die nuwe nuwe Ex met Phono ingebou.

Klankgewys miskien nie dieselfde "skaal" van aanbieding nie ( stroom is jou vriend  :thumbs:) , maar tog dieselfde struktuur  van vervorming. MAW  die Ex  klink maar net so mushy maar nice as die Pred.

Offline PottieP

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 02:29:17 PM »
Thanks guys.

So in short the Exclame and Predator sounds the same, just that the predator has more power fro bigger speakers.

Thanks.
Waste money not time.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 02:42:43 PM »
Exclame is piepie joller langs Predator.  Dit gese is die Exclame baie, baie goeie waarde vir geld en beter as enige integrated wat ek nog in sy prysklas gehoor het.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline WD

• Formerly Waterhond
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 03:06:13 PM »
The old version Exclame 100 that I tried about 2 years ago sounded glorious but had a somewhat "closed in" sound that I became more aware of the longer I listened to it (forgive me Schalk!).

I did swap out some better tubes and small improvements could be heard but sound decay was curtailed, giving the effect of the sound not dying away into the recording space. Some forum members have had similar experiences including the one that bought the amp from me eventually (in full knowledge of my impressions).

Have never heard any of the bigger brethern so I would very much like honest opinions from others as well. (Specially in regards to the above.)

Speaking to Schalk at the time he indicated that he was thinking of dropping the Exclame 100 - In the interim he has decided to upgrade it instead because it is still very popular... so the above comments do not necessarily apply to the current model which I haven't auditioned yet.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 03:25:46 PM by WD »

Offline Nirvana

• AVForums Veteran
  • Very Addicted
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 06:03:02 PM »
A fellow forumite has had an Exclame for quite a few years now,driving DeVore stand mounts.

He was very impressed when he heard my Predator driving planars,wishing out loud for having a larger room!  ;D
We both listen to live music at good venues quite often.
No problem with decay here,even when compared to a serious ML/B&W set-up...

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 06:15:18 PM »
Hi André

Moeilike antwoord. Die nuwe Ex nou nader met 150 per kanaal. Dan ook oor so 2 maande verder die nuwe nuwe Ex met Phono ingebou.

Klankgewys miskien nie dieselfde "skaal" van aanbieding nie ( stroom is jou vriend  :thumbs:) , maar tog dieselfde struktuur  van vervorming. MAW  die Ex  klink maar net so mushy maar nice as die Pred.

Now my understanding of the Afrikaans language is limited so I did a couple of double takes then had a friend translate to confirm.  A new new Exclame going closer to 150W per channel and with a phonostage in a couple of months time.... :Whoohoo: made my day, week, month, year to date.  Will start saving....... :clap:
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline Nirvana

• AVForums Veteran
  • Very Addicted
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 07:17:48 PM »
^^ That's gonna be one popular integrated!  :thumbs:

Who knows,Schalk mite even wrap yours in a Union Jack for you...  :dop:

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 07:48:12 PM »
I wouldn't ask him to do anything he would be unhappy with so maybe just a St George cross... :EGrin: :dop:
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline stereosane

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 08:43:34 PM »
I just recently upgraded from the Exclame 100w to a Predator.

My thoughts, i agree with WD about the decay of sounds on the Exclame and i felt at times it lacked a little bit of top end sparkle, but in saying that it was very very musical and made me extremely happy, it was never to reveiling of bad recordings and actually made them sound very nice, in actual fact ive decided i will buy another one 2nd hand in the near future to keep for a second system and backup amp. The Predator whilst sounding very similar is a bit more revealing with more top end sparkle, it also seems to project the sound more into the room. Power wise the Predator is a beast and has unleashed the full potential of my speakers, my system sounds much fuller now.

An Exclame with 150w and Phono is going to be something special  :dop:

Offline Nirvana

• AVForums Veteran
  • Very Addicted
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 11:34:34 PM »
^^ You tied it up pretty well,Stereo,it really is a beast from anotha motha,especially with more revealing speak's.
But the new Ex is bound to be a keeper,methinks!  :mates: