Which miniDSP

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adie

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
A year or so in with my LFT8b spikkas and I just love them, but am aware of their one (ok, maybe 2 in my opinion) shortcoming(s).
They can be a little thin in the lower midrange, which otherwise is so lifelike.
Also, although they go down to 25hz, it's not slamming at that frequency, not that I'm a basshead. My B&W is at less than 1/4 volume.

I'm thinking miniDSP to integrate my B&W ASW700 and REL Q100E subs so that I can fill in the mids a wee bit as well as supplement the bass. It doesn't sound shabby as is but there is a hump around 40-50hz. The room is pretty well treated, it's just where the sub and speaker woofers 'meet'. Some EQ would be nice.

Roddles recommends the minDSP 2x4 HD, as it is DAC and preamp too.
BUT, I kinda like the Cary DAC I have, love my preamp and like the odd 192 high res track. The miniDSP 2x4 HD only does 96 max.
PLUS, I definitely want balanced outputs to my Hypex power amps.
My preamp has XLR and RCA outputs.

The other, expensive option, is different subs altogether- a pair of Vandersteens.
Why? Cos they can keep up. Don't tell me subs are all as quick as each other- or as quick as panels.

Or some other product altogether?

PS: my most common comparison is with my friend's Eggleston Works Andra III's, so I may be asking a bit much. In some ways though I prefer the LFT8's. If I was more DIY I would tweak them. Here's an interesting link, though my version has better woofers: http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/letters/273-may-2010-no2.html?start=2

Latest posts