The Philips SHL3300 : Impressions/review

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuidersma

AVForums Member
Reaction score
These are my impressions on the SHL3300:

https://iak.olx.ph/images_olxph/820358207_1_1000x700.jpg?bucket=04

Cost : R550

Packaging and General headphone features:

The packaging is quite neat, just the normal packaging box with plastic mould to house the headphone. The headphone does not come with any extra pads or cables and has an attached cable on the left side. The pads are removable altough quite comfy. There aren't any other extras like n built-in microphone in the cable etc. All what you would expect for the price. The build is pretty decent and durable. The headphone cups can swivle and rotate to fold flat.

The headphone is quite big. It is an on-ear headphone but the cup outer diameter could easily be compared to say a DT880. This means other pads could easily be fitted to change the sound/comfort. The comfort is quite good. It can get a bit hot and closed in but the headphone is also very light and the headband is very comfortable.

Sound :

Devices used as sources:
- iPod classic 160 GB
- Various cellphones
- Laptop

Bass:
The best part of this headphone for me. The bass is quite nice in level. It can get boomy/muddy on some songs, but is very musical in general. In comparison to the Sennheiser hd205ii the bass is more pronounced and a lot fuller. The bass is also quite punchy but not as punchy as the hd205ii of Somic mh463. The bass does improve by using a better source such as iPod vs laptop.

Midrange:
The midrange seems quite mellow and pleasant. It does sound a bit closed in as many closed back headphones do or maybe just the 2-5khz region that is a bit recessed ? The midrange does never feel left out and is still pleasing to listen to. Just not as open as the Somic mh463. The midrange is much better than the hd205ii which sound even more closed in.

Treble:
The treble sound a bit artificial but fills in the sound quite nicely. Good enough for the price. This headphone never sound sibilant or harsh. Amplification and Dac's show a good deal of improvement in the treble. The treble is not as clean as the h205ii but is similar in level.

Overall:
This headphone has a very good overall balance and is definitely worth a try. The sound is warm and musical, never harsh, some peaks in the treble but they sound musical. Compared to similar headphone under R1000 this is easily one of the best. Other headphones such as the Samson sr850 are just too bright and analitical. The Somic mh463 are also great, a bit more open as crispier. The hd205ii aren't as good as the philips or somics in my opinion.

This is a fairly cheap headphone but gives good performance for the price, the descriptions I gave are really basic but feel free to ask some more questions. Any other people to try this headphone ? Any other opinions ?

Latest posts