Author Topic: DIY Power Amplifier: PALADIN SM-150  (Read 41509 times)

Online SeanS

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: DIY Power Amplifier: PALADIN SM-150
« Reply #675 on: October 14, 2017, 02:34:23 PM »
Any updates? Anyone?
Sean, have you picked all your nits?

Afraid not, I have something wrong somewhere which is causing funnies.. every board interconnect does something different which isn't right. Even though it plays I can't leave it as it is.. I'm going to redo the IPS/VAS boards as I can't find the problem. 

Travelling soon and still need to order parts so its still going to be a while.

Offline Curlycat

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+49)
« Reply #676 on: October 19, 2017, 06:32:51 PM »
What happened to the OP?

Offline Jaco

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #677 on: October 20, 2017, 06:46:34 AM »
I've also wanted to ask this question.
Been following this thread, but it seems to have lost its oomph somehow.  :whistler:

Offline El Sid

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #678 on: October 20, 2017, 02:31:17 PM »
What happened to the OP?

Does anyone know? According to his profile he hasn't been on the forum for months...

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
« Reply #679 on: October 20, 2017, 02:57:30 PM »
Hes happily keeping himself busy.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline christempler

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #680 on: October 20, 2017, 06:49:44 PM »
Are you sure this isn't turning into another John Nouw scenario. Why no client feedback of success and a total lack of information? I have a friend who has paid a lot of money towards this "project" and currently he can not get any feedback never mind actually getting a phone call or an answer to email or text.

Now for the cover up. Almost like our government.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and it annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
-Bertrand Russel

Offline Crashappy

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #681 on: October 20, 2017, 06:56:45 PM »
Seems loke last activity on the forum was way back in June. Started off as a very interesting thread, just very happy I stuck to just reading

Offline packrat

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #682 on: October 20, 2017, 06:58:27 PM »
Are you sure this isn't turning into another John Nouw scenario.
Please NO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You gotta love livin', baby, 'cause dyin' is a pain in the ass"
Frank Sinatra

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #683 on: October 20, 2017, 08:30:23 PM »
Guy's you're way, way, way, way off base here.  Anyone that knows Ian knows he's a 100% standup guy and stands behind anything he's made/sold here.  I think this thread's dead because only one person that bought a kit has bothered to post any progress.  I've heard these amps, I bought a kit myself, and I, like I suspect many other punters, have done sweet blowall with it other than leave the box and immaculate instructions lying neatly in storage.  That is precisely the kind of thing that I suspect would make Ian lose interest.  In the meantime. if you must know, he's been through a major ceiling replacement since last year's storms, done lots of work around his house, become a father, designed and built the next Paladin AMP that makes the SM-150 a babe in the woods and delivered numerous other projects to commercial and private clients.  Anyone that's dealt with Ian knows he's only a phone call or an email away.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Offline FranZAR

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #684 on: October 20, 2017, 09:12:51 PM »

Are you sure this isn't turning into another John Nouw scenario.

Unfair comparison and unnecessary low blow.

Any reports of purchasers not receiving their kits?

It is a DIY build. Whoever bought the kits would have been well aware of the complexity.
Rather be thought a fool than open your mouth and prove it.

Offline christempler

• AVForums Member
« Reply #685 on: October 20, 2017, 10:08:56 PM »
And the unit he took a large deposit on for a customer? For a finished product not a kit or diy project. The phone call away remark is misleading as the customer has not been able to communicate at all,  either by that method or, as I indicated earlier, by mail or text.
This situation is about to get serious with large legal implications due to the very sustaintial amount of money taken.
So the roof fell in and a baby appeared, so what? Designing a new amp is hardly an excuse for reneging on a current customer.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and it annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
-Bertrand Russel

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #686 on: October 20, 2017, 10:21:42 PM »
I've known Ian for over a decade, I suspect that there's more to the story than your friend is telling you.

Offline JimGore

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #687 on: October 20, 2017, 11:42:18 PM »
Hi Guys,

It's been a long time since my last visit here - I see I have an inbox full of PMs as well.  Will get to them during the next couple of days  ;)

Sorry if anyone is feeling unhappy - it's not my intention to have people stressed out.

@Seas - I will send you the new set of boards on Monday morning first thing at no charge as discussed.  If, after building again you still have trouble you are welcome to send the amp to me and I will hook it up to my bench here and see what I can do.

@Chris - I have until the end of this month to have the amplifier finished for your friend, and it will be fully operational and done by then.  I don't normally sit and work on a single project start to finish, so there aren't always updates to be given on a weekly basis.  Continuous prodding doesn't make thing happen any slower or faster I am afraid...

Anyway, rest assured I am still around, happy and willing  :thumbs:

Hope you have a good evening further!

Kind regards,
Ian.

Online SeanS

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #688 on: October 21, 2017, 12:02:46 AM »
Thanks Ian, appreciated, as discussed I was not expecting them in haste.

I've been quiet for a while, as travelling etc. so just picking up on this..

Ian & I have been in contact and I and have my next steps mapped out, Ian is supporting me and from my POV all ok. I approach DIY from the perspective that it is a learning journey, I will make mistakes and I don't expect 24/7 support.

I've made some mistakes but will get to the end... enjoying the journey I must admit.

Offline christempler

• AVForums Member
« Reply #689 on: October 21, 2017, 07:31:01 AM »
Thanks for the confirmation that things are on track and as implicit in your post that my friend will get his amp. I suppose that being kept in the dark as to progress with little or no response from the person he gave large gobs of cash to would make anyone a bit nervous.

And thanks to RJ for the heavy lifting - always can be counted on to jump in and help..
-Bertrand Russel