Acoustic Curtains

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoerieZA

AVForums Member
Reaction score
So my cinema room (actually my loft) needed some curtains as the current blinds over the windows were NOT going to do well with the amount of sound in the room. After adding some weather strip to the windows to make sure they had a nice seal, we went out material shopping for the curtains at Chamdor. The wife and I did a lot of reading on the matter and we decided on the following:

1. An outer layer (front) of suede with a nice dark color to match the walls. Because the curtains would be directly behind the screen, it had to be dark to not attract focus to itself.
2. An inner double-sided layer of acoustic absorbent material. This stuff actually feels like a heavy, fluffy felt.
3. Another outer layer (back) of 100% blockout - the best Chamdor had to offer to block out as much light/sound as possible from coming in.

Obviously we'll have a lot of pleats on this curtain to increase its surface area. Another consideration was to hang these on special steal curtain rails because the normal stuff you get from Builders would simply buckle and fail.

I'll post photos and my verdict once it's installed.

Total cost for the curtain was R6000 (for material only - scary as heck) and another R900 for the rail. Labor was free thanks to a very talented mother-in-law :)

p.s This is not some post about me saying "acoustic curtains - amazeballs". It was literally a case whereby the room needed curtains regardless of purpose, so we decided to see if we can add function along with form whilst we were at it. There's no way in heck it WON'T have an effect on the acoustics in the room - the mystery is how much of an effect it will have seeing that we've added a lot to aid the "acoustic" treatment it should offer. I'll post my opinion once it's done and I'll be more than happy to share info for those interested.

Latest posts