New Maker Work Space in Randburg: Heavy Equipment & Membership Details

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kolakidd

AVForums Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
This Maker Space is based in Fontainebleau Randburg, I also recently visited a maker space in Durban, with some of these tools. It also has a membership structure (http://themakerspace.co.za/), however, this is the most well equipped Maker Space I have seen so far.

I'm not involved in setting this up, I just got an early tour of the space. Basically you can rent time in this workshop to work on your own projects using all of the machinery available. They'll also be offering courses at a point.

I was really impressed with the setup, and membership options. I've done this write up based on my memory, so there may be inaccuracies in what I have written. If you want to get more info, the guy who runs the place is Henry. I'll post his contact details when he gets back to me with permission to share, but you can get hold of him by calling leonora.co.za 2711-475-1324 and asking for Henry. If you PM me I can send you his contact number

All of the machines require certification, so you don't kill yourself, but certification is done on site by a professional and it's pretty much part of the deal. There are also people on hand to help out after training if there is something you have forgotten.

I'll post full membership prices and options when I get them, but a full day in the workshop will cost R199, that gives you the ability to use any of the machines or tools. They also have an option to store projects. Obviously the more days you take the more the rates drop, and there will be other membership options, but Henry will confirm.

The Quiet Space
Wifi and place to work

Prntrbot Simple, Printerbot Plus, Oscilloscope

The Loud Space
(Work benches still need to be installed)

SA ARGUS 1290 Laser Cutter 150W

Omni CNC Router

Lathe

Band Saw

3 Axis CNC (You may need your own bits, and time may be limited to 3 hour sessions)

Milling (you may need your own bits)

Mini Lathe, Drill Press, Second Milling Machine

Welding Studio
Arc Welder, Tig Welder, Mag/Mig Welder

Punch, Guillotine & Roller

Sheet Metal Break

Additional tools and equipment can be booked out of the tool library on site (Drills, Welding Gloves, Etc)

Latest posts