Author Topic: 6 Months wasted.  (Read 4081 times)

Offline Atjan

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: 6 Months wasted.
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2016, 11:54:54 AM »
I'm interested to know a bit more about the misaligned traps.
Were they not correctly located in the room or tuned to the wrong frequency?
It's only hifi people....

Offline Timber_MG

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2016, 06:15:50 PM »
I have to assume that no modal analysis was done nor were any Sabin models run. Seems to be what gains acceptance by looking that part and gets someone to offer cash rather than what actually works well. The traps were placed perpendicular to the velocity gradient of the modes that needed treatment which would have made them very ineffective for the effort and cost. Whoever did the design clearly did not understand how these things work in a number of other areas either as some of the material choices are...doubtful. By changing some details in the room, closing off some gaps and a few complementary details elsewhere in the room the main axial modes along the length of the room are mostly treated with the remainder being avoided at the listening position to a great extent.

Edit: It actually measures surprisingly well already, but that is not for me to post. Some really well behaved bottom end.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 06:23:37 PM by Timber_MG »

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2016, 06:33:02 PM »
Pics as it is now please...
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline MadHat

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2016, 02:45:21 PM »
Details on the tiles please?

Offline Timber_MG

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2016, 09:47:25 PM »
This thread has gone quiet, but I heard the room on Friday after a special sliding door was installed and all I dare say is  :-X  :thumbs:

The room has a very unusual door with a special touch courtesy of Andy's wife. Hope it goes some way to make good some of what she went through this year with this room.

@MadHatThe tiles were a St. Gobain product and the concentration of rockwool placement was done by investigating reflections and BEM modeling of the room modes. A perforated acoustic divider was worked out to make optimal use of this above 63Hz and the divider itself addresses the very low end while keeping the long main dimension of the room at the lowest frequencies.

Offline Ricketysmurf

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • Stockfisch South Africa
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2017, 09:28:18 PM »
Audio Note
   Music's Finest Conductor

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2017, 09:46:41 PM »
Very, very nice.  Thx.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline King_Julian_S

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2017, 12:10:46 AM »
Awesome ... congrats guys ... so you are saying one of my most favorite sounding setups is now better ? Hope you didn't throw away any musicality
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Ricketysmurf

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • Stockfisch South Africa
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2017, 07:44:34 AM »
Awesome ... congrats guys ... so you are saying one of my most favorite sounding setups is now better ? Hope you didn't throw away any musicality
Thanks Jules, that was a fear that fortunately never materialized. The system has never sounded better.

Thank goodness I made Nouwens walk the plank, absolutely the best decision I could have made.

Audio Note
   Music's Finest Conductor

Offline King_Julian_S

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2017, 11:33:13 AM »
Grt stuff ... I must come back and listen a bit .. nice also Martin 

Offline Timber_MG

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2017, 02:09:14 PM »
@King_Julian_S, if you liked it before then you owe it to yourself to revisit Andy's music enclave, as much for discovering new music as anything else.

Offline King_Julian_S

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2017, 03:26:18 PM »
@King_Julian_S, if you liked it before then you owe it to yourself to revisit Andy's music enclave, as much for discovering new music as anything else.
tx sire... I will say again . Still my favourite setup... yip need to go look for some source music as well...way overdue ...