Author Topic: 6 Months wasted.  (Read 5537 times)

Offline Ricketysmurf

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • Stockfisch South Africa
6 Months wasted.
« on: August 28, 2016, 07:52:37 PM »
After 6 months of patiently for my acoustic ceiling to be installed, I employed the right people, and after TWO days, it awaiting a coat of paint.

Audio Note
   Music's Finest Conductor

Offline Atjan

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: 6 Months wasted.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 07:54:52 PM »
What is this thing you speak about? Is it a kind of hanging ceiling?
It's only hifi people....

Offline Ricketysmurf

• Commercial Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 08:08:16 PM »
What is this thing you speak about? Is it a kind of hanging ceiling?
The room was not ideal with some problems around 40hz and I employed some one to replace the ceiling, however it did not work out, and after 6 moths I pulled the plug and employed a second company to install acoustic tiling.
However this is what the room looked like originally.

Audio Note
   Music's Finest Conductor

Offline King_Julian_S

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 09:19:07 PM »
Nice Andy.

Let us know what it sounds like when complete ..
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Ricketysmurf

• Commercial Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 09:24:47 PM »
Nice Andy.

Let us know what it sounds like when complete ..
Will do Julian.
Audio Note
   Music's Finest Conductor

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 09:28:21 PM »
Pity to have to have hidden all that wood, but I'm guessing you've determined that changing the ceiling will get rid of the null?
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Ricketysmurf

• Commercial Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 09:39:41 PM »
Pity to have to have hidden all that wood, but I'm guessing you've determined that changing the ceiling will get rid of the null?
It is a pity, but unfortunately the shape of the room acted as a megaphone with certain frequencies which would spoil what was otherwise a nice sounding room. Have tried for years to sort it out. With the kind help of a forum member, we have spotted the problem area. This won't be a 100% fix, but it will make other areas easier to fix.

The room would also be 28 at 7pm after a hot summers day, that's been cured at the same time.
Will feed back on results.
Audio Note
   Music's Finest Conductor

Offline Atjan

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 09:54:10 PM »
Can you give us some more details on the specific tiles? Must be quite specialized to be effective all the way down to 40Hz. Normal office ceiling tiles are only effictive in the human voice range, more specifically the mid range.

Offline Nirvana

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Very Addicted
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 10:13:58 AM »
^ +1  Or did u effectively change the room shape with the treatment..?

Hope it works out!  :thumbs:
Never b flat,never b sharp,always b natural

Offline Ricketysmurf

• Commercial Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 11:01:10 PM »
Can you give us some more details on the specific tiles? Must be quite specialized to be effective all the way down to 40Hz. Normal office ceiling tiles are only effictive in the human voice range, more specifically the mid range.
Bit of a report back, very pleased with the results so far.

Essentially the room was shaped like a megaphone, and was acting exactly that way. The tiles are not specifically office tiles but aimed at controlling the acoustic elements. The slots allow deeper bass to pass through and as the void has aerolite and Isotherm filling, the heavy bass is attenuated and therefore loses the energy to re enter the room and cause the problems it did before. The net effect is controlled bottom end. I've now removed any other isotherm from the room which has ensured that the highs are not damped.
Still have some issues with the rooms next door which are on the other side of two arches. Some 40hz returning from that area which we will deal with using doors, but generally, a success story. Many thanks due to Timber_MG for his expertise.
Audio Note
   Music's Finest Conductor

Offline Schalk

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • valveaudio@absamail.co.za
    • Valve Audio
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2016, 11:22:35 PM »
And a GOOD CALL you made pulling in the young man! I have respect for his knowledge and assistance and he does not appear at the Munich High End show for no reason with a business card proclaiming "Timber Acoustics"

Had him here today and I sit and listen to a very wise young man!

Offline Timber_MG

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 11:24:00 PM »
This room has undergone a very drastic transformation and once the final acoustic room dividers are in place Andy can now tune his HF to taste. The tiles hide some of the magic, with heavier damping material spaced for treating the ceiling reflection and some modal velocity peaks at 63 and 32Hz which were determined by a BEM modal study to locate nodes in this complex room shape with adjoining rooms.

The original bass traps were mis-aligned and would not have been effective other than at mid and high frequencies. A new configuration was adopted with a few small but important changes. A couple of remaining key interventions will balance the room and hopefully house Andy's considerable CD collection.

Andy is showing far too much restraint for taking such a hefty knock on this project.

Andy and I along with many other forum members share a boat as co-victims of the shamed alleged fraudster John Nouwens who's not shied away from even duping internationally acclaimed designers and this project has seen the support of a few forum members helping move furniture, clearing up and what not. Andy got a contractor in and did in a single weekend what this alleged Shyster based at Bekker Schools Koshuis hadn't managed to do in about half a year. In the end the solution as implemented here is not only far more controlled in the low frequencies than the old would have ever been, but with the addition of an acoustic room divider will make for a really great room to showcase his Audio Note gear.

Offline Atjan

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2016, 11:43:31 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. So basically the ceiling has become a rather large bass trap. :2thumbs:

Martin makes magic with acoustics. His room sounds great after he treated it and its obvious that he knows his stuff. :notworthy:

Offline Timber_MG

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 08:35:38 AM »
Thanks Attie. As with my room, spill back from an adjoining room is a challenge. The concept with the space coupler/room divider is to have twice the room length for more closely spaced modes and use some carefully considered locations to treat the main remaining modes at 32, 44, 63 and I think 125Hz. The mid and high frequency region is then contained within the room. One doesn't need a mic to tell that the space is drastically different but already it is measuring quite different from the baseline with a few temporary panels in place and a doorway closed off. The roof hides some detail.

Andy's AN speaker is designed with room reinforcement and overall far field sound balance in mind as per Snell's original concept and the room is already working well.  With the spill back taken care of, the mid cleans up more and the room becomes more balanced but far away from dead.

Offline placebo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • How can you have money for beer but not for Beenos
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2016, 10:42:27 AM »
I heard Andy's system(which is also new)together with the new sound improvements last Sunday.That ceiling looked fantastic.I was very very impressed by the sound.The ceiling looks fantastic as well.Very impressive.
For,when money or oiled hands determine the voting outcome,particularly in a matter of such monumental importance,then no conscience or oath finds expression.

Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng