Author Topic: When should one post a Negative rating?  (Read 436 times)

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • “Without music, life would be a mistake.”
When should one post a Negative rating?
« on: August 09, 2016, 10:26:27 AM »
I have been trading on Bid or Buy since 2000 and in that time, only accumulated one negative rating from a customer who thought her local Post Office should have kept her parcel for 6 months since she was too lazy to fetch it.  This was reversed upon a request to the Mods

On AVF it is slightly different since we are mostly selling used equipment and overall, people are more reasonable with their expectations.  I have seen a few grumbles and even received one myself when a courier mis-handled a tape deck between CT and Jhb

But what would be reasonable justification to issue a negative rating?

Equipment in a completely different condition than was described?  Maybe damaged requiring repair or not working at all
Equipment that was slightly different from what was advertised, ie: Cable model ABC-1 and you sent Cable model ABC-2?
Someone who promised to buy an item, undertook to pay and then did a duck and became silent?
A seller being tardy in posting off an item that he had been paid for?
Some other reason?

I have read posts from people complaining that they had submitted a request to buy ahead of someone else, yet had not won the item.  Surely it is the seller's decision to whom he sells his product?  I would rather sell something (especially is it is large and heavy) to someone who could come and collect, instead of waiting for a courier to turn up

Offline ScottulusMaximus

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: When should one post a Negative rating?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 10:58:36 AM »
Negative ratings on here seem to be saved for serious issues, falsely advertised goods, scams etc. Seller a few days late on dispatch, eh...

Bob on the other hand, if they miss dispatch times or delivery date I'll negative them.
Please PM me for anything you need imported. See here.

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 12:05:47 PM »
The system allows for commenting, so surely one can judge from the comment?

If person "A" has a negative rating and the comment states "item arrived two days late" I'd consider the rating as petty.

If on the other hand it stated "item was advertised as a set of B&W's & I received a Dixon two days later" I'd be a little more hesitant to get involved in a deal.
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline BobsYourUncle

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 07:14:07 PM »
I've given 2 negative ratings when the person doesn't have the decency to pitch or only tells me that they cant make it after I enquire as to whether they are still coming or not after waiting 15-30min after the time that they were supposed to pitch.
I have received equipment that is not quite as described on the ad, ie , condition etc.
I have let those slide as most of the time I have recovered my money by selling it on with a full disclosure of condition etc.
I have not yet had an experience where I received damaged goods that were sold as immaculate etc. I think I would contact the seller 1st and depending on the outcome, give a rating depending on how the issue was resolved or if it was resolved at all
Kempton Park, Estrand,GP