Author Topic: When should one post a Negative rating?  (Read 478 times)

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • “Without music, life would be a mistake.”
When should one post a Negative rating?
« on: August 09, 2016, 10:26:27 AM »
I have been trading on Bid or Buy since 2000 and in that time, only accumulated one negative rating from a customer who thought her local Post Office should have kept her parcel for 6 months since she was too lazy to fetch it.  This was reversed upon a request to the Mods

On AVF it is slightly different since we are mostly selling used equipment and overall, people are more reasonable with their expectations.  I have seen a few grumbles and even received one myself when a courier mis-handled a tape deck between CT and Jhb

But what would be reasonable justification to issue a negative rating?

Equipment in a completely different condition than was described?  Maybe damaged requiring repair or not working at all
Equipment that was slightly different from what was advertised, ie: Cable model ABC-1 and you sent Cable model ABC-2?
Someone who promised to buy an item, undertook to pay and then did a duck and became silent?
A seller being tardy in posting off an item that he had been paid for?
Some other reason?

I have read posts from people complaining that they had submitted a request to buy ahead of someone else, yet had not won the item.  Surely it is the seller's decision to whom he sells his product?  I would rather sell something (especially is it is large and heavy) to someone who could come and collect, instead of waiting for a courier to turn up

Online ScottulusMaximus

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: When should one post a Negative rating?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 10:58:36 AM »
Negative ratings on here seem to be saved for serious issues, falsely advertised goods, scams etc. Seller a few days late on dispatch, eh...

Bob on the other hand, if they miss dispatch times or delivery date I'll negative them.
Importing made easy!

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 12:05:47 PM »
The system allows for commenting, so surely one can judge from the comment?

If person "A" has a negative rating and the comment states "item arrived two days late" I'd consider the rating as petty.

If on the other hand it stated "item was advertised as a set of B&W's & I received a Dixon two days later" I'd be a little more hesitant to get involved in a deal.
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Online BobsYourUncle

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 07:14:07 PM »
I've given 2 negative ratings when the person doesn't have the decency to pitch or only tells me that they cant make it after I enquire as to whether they are still coming or not after waiting 15-30min after the time that they were supposed to pitch.
I have received equipment that is not quite as described on the ad, ie , condition etc.
I have let those slide as most of the time I have recovered my money by selling it on with a full disclosure of condition etc.
I have not yet had an experience where I received damaged goods that were sold as immaculate etc. I think I would contact the seller 1st and depending on the outcome, give a rating depending on how the issue was resolved or if it was resolved at all
Kempton Park, Estrand,GP