Using Triacs as a relay in a amplifier advice needed plz

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1200GXman

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi all
Please find my reference link that I need advice on:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/is-your-unoptainium-power-switch-worth-5-and-an-hour-or-so-of-your-time.504673/

I have a Sansui amplifier that I want to do the above modification to the switch to try and save it a bit for longer usage as it started to arc recently when switching on. Can a triac and resistor be used successfully to remove the high load from the switch? I did allot of research and there are advantages and disadvantages with this method. For example a concern I have is about the switching of the triac. Apparently it switches on/off at the 0 point of the sign wave. Will this not cause damage to the amplifier's transformer? A good friend of mine told me it is not suppose to because there is anyway a 50Hz wave in electricity.
I have knowledge of Relays as I did a relay modification to my vintage Datsuns head lights. But Triacs is a bit new for me and especially because it involves more than just lights.