Author Topic: Wood veneer  (Read 849 times)

Offline vinyljan

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Finishing projects
Wood veneer
« on: July 22, 2016, 07:21:17 AM »
I'm  looking for wood strips, length at least 1400mm, width about 25mm and thickness about 2mm (not crucial). Colour and type of wood not important. If length and thickness are as stated I'll cut width myself. I want to pre-bend and then layer different layers, so thickness not crucial so can be slightly thicker, but less than 1mm will need too many layers. I'm in Pretoria

Want to use it for a trout/flyfishing net frame :whistler:
In a maximum bank turn in a normal category airplane, like a typical Cessna, everything is fine until you turn across your own wake

Offline SeanS

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Wood veneer
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 09:11:09 AM »
so you will have quite tight turns, will you be steam bending? If so type of wood is relevant, apparently kiln dried is not appropriate (if steam bending).

Offline vinyljan

• AVForums Veteran
  • Finishing projects
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 05:50:50 PM »
@SeanS, maybe I should rephrase: Colour of wood not crucial....
I was actually looking for suppliers of wood, might have found some bamboo sheets 2.2mm thick. The wood/bamboo strips will be left submerged in water to soften, so I can stain it at the same time. Anyway, quite new to this..
In a maximum bank turn in a normal category airplane, like a typical Cessna, everything is fine until you turn across your own wake

Offline SeanS

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 06:14:52 PM »
you can use a heat gun to bend wood quite effectively too, for thin strips it should work well.

Offline JNouw

• Banned
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • the cool sound hound
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 08:05:26 PM »
I don't know it it will be of any help, but Timber City sells rolls of Wood strip used for edging. I've seen from 15mm to 50mm wide and about 0.4mm thick.
knowledge is sometimes a boundary to invention

Offline vinyljan

• AVForums Veteran
  • Finishing projects
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 08:01:35 PM »
Quick update.... I found 2.2mm thick sheets of bamboo at Bamboo Warehouse in Jhb. Easy to work with and in retrospect I should have used that on my speaker cabinets instead of the 0.6mm veneer I did as the surface would have been a lot smoother, whether it was flat or curved  :wallbreak:.  Definitely going to use it on the next turntable plinth.

Also included a pic of the first  "prototype" frame just out of interest ... outer edge is natural bamboo with rest of the frame made up of  3 layers of the veneer glued together with "Gorilla" cement  :whistler:

Topic can be locked, thx