Car sound

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moog

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
I know this belongs to the car forums but i feel that my home is in this forum and here goes.My son is considering installing an after-market sound sytem in his Toyota yaris sedan. He would like to install a 4 x 100 watts  rms amp into 4 ohms) amp for the 6/9s and the fronts and a 800 watt rms amp into 4 ohms monobloc for the subwoofer/s.
The total fuse ratings for the two amps are 200 amps and i understand the Yaris alternator has a rating of 70 amps. It would appear that there is not enough current to power this system. The advice that he has received has led to some confusion on his and my part and is summarised as follows:

1) Upgrading the alternator with a high current one ( I am against this approach due to cost considerations and also the posiblity of violating warranty conditions)

2) Installing the system and play at 1/3 power (I am not sure whether this will work and also not cause problems with other devices in the car).

3) Upgrade the :big three" wires  as follows: 1)Battery negative cable to chassis, 2)Alternator to battery positive and 30) Chassis to engine cables.
(This is considered to be the least expensive upgrade and the idea is that by reducing resistance, more current will flow. However, i do not understand how the limitations of the Yaris alternator will be overcome.)
What is the best solution for this?

Latest posts