Vintage Sansui On/Off switch arcing.Please help

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1200GXman

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Mods, please move if it is in the wrong section.

I have a Sansui AU3900 which have the combination switch of on/off and also 4 selecting positions. Recently I have been hearing a buzzing sound coming from the switch side when switching on to use. It buzzes very softly for 2 to 3 seconds and then goes away. So I decided to investigate. Removed cover and initially thought it is the start-up cap just behind the switch on its way out that is making the buzzing sound. I then decided to switch off all lights and double check again for some arcing that might be happening as it sounds just like electrical arcing. Low and behold, I saw through a small gap that it is the on/off switch arcing on the inside. It is near impossible to take apart and try repairing due to the complexity of this part. I want to ask the experts:
1. Can I spray electrical cleaner to try and resolve this type of issue?
2. How long must I wait for the stuff to dissolve before switching on and off again to test?
3. Is this going to cause damage to my transformer if I continue to use it this way until it finally stops working and only then look for another switch?
    I have a site that specializes in NOS Sansui parts. But we all know with our wonderful exchange rate how much is it going to cost.