Audio and Video Talk > Valves / Vacuum Tubes

What Make Valve?

<< < (6/6)

Supasonic:
Well I have a stash of 12au7 and 12 ax7 electronic for medical as well as Brimar, Teonex, Telefunken, Philips Miniwatt and what can I say...can let a few go to those that will be appreciated... :clap: :blah:

francois_27:
https://tubedepot.com/pages/tube-comparison-tool

Interesting chart for comparisons

Ampdog:
I so hate to do this to nice people, but PLEASE!

The 'sound' of a particular valve is utterly dependent on the circuit values and not at all on the particular valve unless something is very wrong! Folks would use this practice totally out of context!

I realise  that I may have just made a few enemies - but that is the truth (I have not 'invented' the basic way in which electrons behave; so sorry!)  Certainly there may be a difference in sound when a particular valve is replaced by another . . . but again: That can only be as a result of something amiss with the circuit and very likely the valve(s) as well. The same truth applies regarding valve rolling: Roll all you want - it is likely your money - just don't go and make a rule about your findings! It has to do with the particular valve that you replaced with a particular other valve - no more!

That said: Any design (circuit) should be able to accommodate all relevant valves within the design spread of valve parameters. If this is difficult, the circuit designer has at his disposal many ways to guarantee that. (And just to be difficult ;D: It always mildly surprises me that to 'measure' this experience, the experimenter uses one of the most unreliable unrepeatable of measuring  instruments: Human hearing! !

Note that I am not saying that a difference in sound is impossible. But I do state that in such a case the experience is not standard, but peculiar to the particular valves and/or instrument, full stop.

marantz123:

--- Quote from: Ampdog on September 02, 2021, 03:18:40 PM ---The 'sound' of a particular valve is utterly dependent on the circuit values and not at all on the particular valve unless something is very wrong! Folks would use this practice totally out of context!

--- End quote ---

An exception to this may be valve rectifiers with differing voltage drops hence subjecting the listener to a perceived change in sound. Some GZ34 rectifiers by brand/make have differing voltage drops, how much of a change in voltage is needed before a change in the sound is experienced I cannot say, but was pleasantly surprised swapping a (higher-drop)Russian rectifier for a (lower-drop) GZ34. Then again, this is more "type" of valve, not really "make/brand" of valve. But then again, any experience with rolling different "make" GZ34 / 5AR4 rectifiers with a notable difference in sound ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version