Author Topic: Treadle Sewing machine needed  (Read 478 times)

Offline Swindlehurstguy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Portapussy
Treadle Sewing machine needed
« on: June 28, 2016, 07:28:16 AM »
Hi all, putting this here because someone here or we collectively can make a difference to a families life. I have been for a short while employing a builder to do some changes for me, he is punctual, reliable and good at what he does. Hi wife, however works as a seamstress and from one month to the next never knows what she will earn from the dodgy people that she works for. The plan is to get a hold of an old (they are all old) treadle sewing machine that requires no fixing. To date they have not been able to afford one, so I thought I would ask here if someone has once stashed away. Some folk regard them as antiques and display them. We need one to help someone make an honest living while she keeps an eye on her grand kids. It has to be treadle because they have no electricity. If anyone has one to sell to me or donate please, please let me know. Frans tells me he has seen them for around R900 but having looked at gumtree they range between R2500 and more, because some regard them as antiques.
Please, even if you want to sell it and it's fully operational let me know.

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
Re: Treadle Sewing machine needed
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 07:35:48 PM »
Any luck in finding one, Brent?

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline Swindlehurstguy

• AVForums Veteran
  • Portapussy
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 08:23:13 PM »
Have been offered a new Chinese machine for R1000, have not pulled the trigger on it yet as I thought I would leave it a bit longer, there must surely be someone who has one taking up space, if nothing crops up I will buy the Chinese unit, I am however concerned that if something goes wrong with it, no spares will be available.
Thanks for asking. B

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 09:03:11 PM »
Which is also more than likely a problem with a 60-year old machine. The tread belt would have perished although I think that would not be a major problem but needles & bobbins could be more of a problem. There was a discussion on the Community forum a while back on these machines. The Chinese machine should at the very least be good for 3-4 years plus so might be a good idea.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline Swindlehurstguy

• AVForums Veteran
  • Portapussy
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 07:50:49 AM »
I think you are likely right, I have had only one response and thatw as about the Chinese machine, so think I should go ahead and buy one after Lara gets paid. thanks for the input. Think we can go ahead and close this thread. Many thanks.