Cape Town has a rash of 'new' sedan taxis

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mafioso

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
There seems to be a rash of new sedan-type taxis plying their trade. Seems to be mostly Toyota Livias(?) - neither car nor bus. They are flitting up and down southern suburbs main road and there's so many I'm surprised there hasn't been a war between them and the Siyayas. Saw one the other day pulled nicely into a little lay-by along the M3 and into the nearside bushes of Newlands forest. The elderly bloke had what looked like a 14-yearold schoolgirl with him and two quarts of SAB's finest was laying outside. One can only surmise what was taking place. Or should one give oupa the benefit of the doubt that 'oupa took his grand daughter to enjoy the periphery of Newlands Forest'?

Anyway, I'm not writing about them, I'm writing about the rash of ancient skedonk Merc and Cressida sedans festooned with SWC emblems and crudely applied stick on lettering applied to the doors - presumably newly 'licenced' to carry WC visitors.

Saw one up close parked at the Friendly store this afternoon. The bonnet was open and propped up with a broomstick. The bloke was pouring in what looked like oil from a Plascon paint tin. As fast as it was poured in from the top, it was running out below, leaving a large dam of oil in the parking bay.

Looking a bit closer, I saw all four tyres were literally on the canvas and as smooth as the top of a jelly.

If one of these blokes has a blowout and veers into some innocent driver or pedestrian, do you think one can sue the City of Cape Town for allowing such vehicles on our roads?

mafioso