jim neversink

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron g

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
i was liostening to "shakey is good" in my car this morning, & i realised i had never seen his name on this forum,

in earlier life he was michael whitehead of famous curtain trick. who were not too famous, but were one of the better pop bands in south africa (even though i never heard them live, only their albums)

the he rebranded himself as jim neversink, & turned out 3 great albums, before getting married & heading off to denmark.

i only heard about him 'cause his wife popped up on the joni mitchell list & mentioned him. (i was familiar with famous curtain trick, but not him individually)

some reviews of his albums:

first album: jim neversink - jim neversink

"Album of the Year"

"Nothing like this album has ever been done before in this country. It is a masterpiece that will no doubt stand the test of time." more...
Therese Owen, The Star, December 13, 2006 Edition 1

"Albums van die dekade (Plaaslik)"

24. Jim Neversink ? Jim Neversink (2006) Beeld, January 13, 2010

"Plucked from the depths..."

"...the music of a true genius. His dark songs scare yet intrigue the psyche.... authentic, and strangely catchy. After a third listen it grows on you like a wart and then you just can't get enough. It's addictive." more...
Therese Owen, Tonight

"Top SA acts of 2006"
"Chilling blue velvet blues and rye humour - this comeback kid is brilliant." more...
Channel24's "South African release of the year"

"richard haslop's top 50 albums of 2005"

"...there are no other SA albums I can think of quite like it...competes easily, without patriotic influence... with just about anything else...quietly persuasive, slightly skewed, melodic, well written..." more...
richard haslop, kagablog, May 13, 2006

& more reviews on his website:

http://www.jimneversink.com/cd_reviews.html

his wife was very confused by all this. so much acclaim, yet he could barely sell an album..

probably not to everyone's taste - but well worth a listen:

https://soundcloud.com/jim-neversink