Author Topic: Matsuli Music reissues  (Read 1173 times)

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • To the centre of the city in the night
Matsuli Music reissues
« on: June 07, 2016, 10:12:11 PM »
So I'm leaning back and chilling to the latest Matsuli release, a reissue of Night Express by Black Disco (Pops Mohamed's most excellent 'supergroup).  I thought I'd alert y'all to the label if you haven't heard of them.  8 releases so far all on vinyl and FLAC download, all classics and all bar one (Derek Gripper) hard to find most excellent local stuff from the 60s and 70s.  If you haven't been following check their bandcamp page for full album streaming previews.  Local and Lekker (btw, not saying DG isn't but it was not a reissue)
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline Katji

Re: Matsuli Music reissues
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 12:23:42 PM »
Pops Mohamed? ...You jogged my memory again.  I wonder if he ever played with Dollar Brand...

Offline alternativeroute

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 04:46:39 PM »
I got their Bea Benjamin re-release. Excellent stuff - right from the packaging through to the excellent pressing. One song on the album they had to needle drop off an original LP as they could not find the masters - you would never guess without reading the liner notes first...

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 05:28:12 PM »
Sadly that's the one I missed on vinyl.  Gorgeous album.  I really enjoy the Batsumi ones too, there's a weird psych feel to the excellent jazz
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline jamesS

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 07:04:53 PM »
The Matsuli releases are fantastic.

I recorded a friend's copy of the first Batsumi album back in the 1980s and kept looking for a copy for myself and not finding one anywhere. Matsuli bringing it out was like winning the lottery. They did a wonderful job.
I have both Batsumi albums, the Dick Khoza, Sathima Bea Benjamin and Ndikho Xaba ones. Superb, all of them. I would definitely have more if the shipping cost wasn't such a burden due to the exchange rate.  >:(

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 09:48:21 AM »
Khaya Records in Durban gets them in when they come out, generally about R350 a pop and I'm sure Paul could ship elsewhere in the country (a lot less than international)

Offline stevanbuxt

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 09:55:58 AM »
I have all of them... really good re-issues high quality! I am working currently on the Re-issue of the Flames lost albums recorded in Hollywood as part of my film. We are talking to a few re-issue companies.