Author Topic: LampizatOr Gen 4 demo models in mint condition (limited & 1st come, 1st serve)  (Read 2462 times)

Offline audiotweaker

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Owner of Audio Tweak and LampizatOr local agent.
    • Audio Tweak
Hi François!

Thanks for the feedback, I've heard that you might have heard it your side of the woods.
Since what you heard was the Level 4 and it beat the Meitner and DCS, why don't you grab one of these bargains? I will give you an extra discount so you can promote it on your side, when you want to buy the bigger models, I will help you trade it in or sell it, preferably sell it. ;)

And yes, the Golden Gate DAC is mind blowing, one can even use 300B's on it!

Great to hear from you!

PS: With your permission, may I use your quote on my LampizatOr threads here on the forum? ..."what an amazing piece of kit! It beats every single DAC I ever heard including the dCS stack. To my ears on par or just better than Meitner's 25k GBP DAC!!" (Francois/avforums.co.za)

Ramsey

Sorted!

It was better than his dcS single box cd (Puccini) yes, but its FAR from the Vivaldi and closer to Scarlatti.
It is in some ways better than my Meitner, which was a shock
Much better than my Wadia 860SE (Francois/AV Forum)

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+26)
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline alternativeroute

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • :-)
    • Turntable repairs Cape Town
Gooi us some internal pics  :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Online Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+54)
  • Pioneer sm-83
So it is "in some ways better than my Meitner and in other ways worse.".....would that be a fair quote(with my added wee bit?)
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Online Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
  • Pioneer sm-83
 :cleansound:....just teasing sire :angel:
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Online Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
  • Pioneer sm-83
Sorted!

It was better than his dcS single box cd (Puccini) yes, but its FAR from the Vivaldi and closer to Scarlatti.
It is in some ways better than my Meitner, which was a shock
Much better than my Wadia 860SE (Francois/AV Forum)

The problem with the use of this quote is that I now have more questions and less answers.....the use of distance as a measurement tool...."far" and "closer" in this instance leave me with more questions than answers.....am i right in saying that the Scarlatti is what François is saying is the best?....I am confused.Sorry for that.

Offline audiotweaker

• Commercial Member
    • Audio Tweak
The problem with the use of this quote is that I now have more questions and less answers.....the use of distance as a measurement tool...."far" and "closer" in this instance leave me with more questions than answers.....am i right in saying that the Scarlatti is what François is saying is the best?....I am confused.Sorry for that.
The dCS Vivaldi was the best according to Francois. The LampizatOr Level 4 was on par or closer to the dCS Scarlatti, but bettered all the others (Puccini + Meitner & Wadia).

Offline audiotweaker

• Commercial Member
    • Audio Tweak

For your information...

Prices:
dCS Puccini Singe-box, upsampling CD/SACD player = $19,995
dCS Scarlatti DAC = $23,999
dCS Vivaldi DAC = $34,999
Meitner =  $7.000
Wadia 860SE = $7950
LampizatOr Level 4 DAC = €2900

Francois/AVForum quote shootout results:
The dCS Vivaldi ($34,999) came tops.
The LampizatOr Level 4 was on par or closer to the dCS Scarlatti ($23,999).
The LampizatOr Level 4 bettered the Meitner ($7.000).
The LampizatOr Level 4 bettered the Wadia 860SE ($7950).
The LampizatOr Level 4 beat the dCS Puccini ($19,995).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 04:58:09 PM by audiotweaker »

Offline wjvrens

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Member
  • For the love of music
The Lampizat0r's are phenomenal!

Online Francois

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+33)
    • Audio Exchange
Sigh....

I listened to quite a few high end DAC's. Especially the TOP ones if I could.

Once had Scarlatti at my house. Better than Meitner.

Lets define better.

REAL soundstage, alive, fine sounds and 3D feeling to the sounds.
Brilliant detail but never hurting, you never whinge
Stunning bass BUT every bass note different sounding, especially on bass guitar
Midrange that feels like someone singing at full tilt right in fron tof you

Now.

The Meitner is phenomenal. Really it is. I never heard any dac come close, hence my Wadia hit the road - Wadia 860SE, also my Vivere
The Bel Canto I also tried came short, a friend tried M51 and he agreed, it was good but different class.

Now we move a level up, SOUND
Here we find dCS, Meitner, ML Reference etc.

I heard the Vivaldi. The Meitner is not in that class.
Then the Scarlatti, Mostly quite a bit better, but in some areas the same. Just I enjoyed the mids on Meitner more.
Had ML Reference, very good but Meitner has edge
From a good friend, the Puccini and Lampizator were a close match. And I know he listens with the utmost care.

Then I heard a friends Lampizator 4 with some mods, lets call it the 4+ ?
It was mostly indistinguishable from the Meitner, mids sounds nicer (note: nicer as vague term for my own feeling).

Hence I would really like to try the top models one day.

There is no BS here, the man did something special. Is it the output stages ? The DAC chips ? The application ?

Would I buy a dCS ? Yes if I had the $$$
For now I can maybe afford a Lampizator
I was born analog, not digit by digit....

Offline audiotweaker

• Commercial Member
    • Audio Tweak
From another forum, the LampizatOr Golden Gate DAC which is our LampizatOr flagship should give dCS and vinyl users something to think about ...

bonzo75
"I have been comparing the Lampi GG with my vinyl set up and have been pleasantly surprised how close the Lampi is on some material."
Analog setup: Kuzma XL4, Kuzma 4p, with Lyra and Shelter Harmony, Ypsilon phono.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?20765-Analog-vs-Lampizator&p=398169&viewfull=1#post398169

« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 07:02:03 PM by audiotweaker »

Offline audiotweaker

• Commercial Member
    • Audio Tweak
LampizatOr Level 4 vs Vinyl (Wayne Donnelly/Enjoythemusic.com)

The Bottom Line
As much as I love my analog setup, especially after adding the Stein cartridge last year, my physical disabilities make it a lot more work to play an LP. Although I enjoyed my ModWright/Denon player more than any previous digital sources in my system, I still went to LPs when I wanted to hear the best sound my system could produce. Now I can just relax and enjoy CDs, without feeling that I am compromising. The LampizatOr Level 4 Generation 5 DAC essentially frees me from worrying about the sound and lets me relax and enjoy the music.

At a retail price of $5195, the Generation 5 is a substantial purchase. But to me it gives great value for the degree of listening pleasure it delivers. I expect that when I have mastered DSD computer audio it will prove to be even more of a bargain. I may also check out whether a newer and better disc transport will get even better results from my CD library. As I'm sure you’ve already figured out, this wonderful DAC, as Dylan would sing, "ain't goin' nowhere."

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1214/LampizatOr_Generation_5_Level_4_DAC_Review.htm

Offline audiotweaker

• Commercial Member
    • Audio Tweak
Here's another interesting "shootout of sort" between 2 well reviewed DACs and the entry-level LampizatOr Amber DAC (currently on special)!

Abbingdon Music Research AMR DP77 DAC vs. Hegel HD12 DAC vs. LampizatOr Amber DAC.

http://ayllonmedia.com/news/the-lampizator-amber-dac-plus-is-it-a-dac-lite-or-a-real-contender-in-home-audio

Conclusion

Going into the side by side comparisons, I was pretty confident that the Amber Plus would fare well against the Hegel HD12, which is priced almost $1,000 less at $1,400, but had no idea how well it would perform against the AMR DP-777, which is more than double its price at $5,495. 

As the trials passed, I began to see some patterns.  The Hegel was generally a little sharper focused in the treble area, highly detailed, and had an overall pleasing, balanced presentation.  It communicated delicate nuance very well – for the most part.  I was surprised that it did not pick up that sense of air, space and effects used on vocals like the Amber.  Furthermore, compared with the Amber, it had a lighter bass response and generally didn’t have the same sense of presence.  It reminded me of David Bruce Pinot Noir which when paired with fish seemed the best tasting and balanced wine at a restaurant I waited tables at in the 90s.  However, when put up against a cabernet, its lightness in body became readily apparent.

With the AMR, I found a beautiful organic, warm and musical sensibility.  It sounded very analog, which no doubt the tubes helped.  Its presentation was pretty and detailed enough to make it quite compelling.  However, when compared with the Amber, it not only lacked the weightiness, but also the degree of detail that created that “in the room” feeling that Amber often evoked with quality recordings.  Instead, it called to mind some of the Thomas Kinkade paintings, which present glowing, idealized paintings of life.

In contrast, the Amber wielded a versatile, but heavier footprintFast and detailed enough, it was pretty upfront in its presentation, yet very adept at rendering timbres naturallyIn essence, it was very balanced, presented superb imaging and was very true to life.   For me, the Lampizator Amber Plus DAC was overall more impactful and a tad more engaging.

What’s more, it garnered the “Wife Approval Factor”, which cannot be underestimated.  She loved the sound and the price – we both did – so much so that we bought our review sample.

At $2,300, the Amber is a very good value – especially when compared to price of the AMR.  And, regardless of cost, like those gladiators we viewed at ringside, it’s a worthy contender. 

Online DeonC

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
...we bought our review sample.

This is a sentiment I have read very often expressed in reviews of the LampizatOrs. The most I have noticed of any product to date. Needless to say, if I had the money, I would own one.
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Offline audiotweaker

• Commercial Member
    • Audio Tweak
This is a sentiment I have read very often expressed in reviews of the LampizatOrs. The most I have noticed of any product to date. Needless to say, if I had the money, I would own one.
No harm dreaming!!