Basic EQ in Audirvana to tame bass Question

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nidri

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
After 20+ years of standmount speakers, I decided to try some proper floorstanders - Spendor S8e.
I have no idea why I waited so long to try this. It seems there's a lot of musical info in the lower Hz'es.

Unfortunately my room dictates that the speakers have to be closer to the rear wall (approx. 30cm) than what's generally recommended, since the Spendors are rear ported. So at times the bass can get a tad overpowering/boomy. (Power amp is NuPrime ST-10, fed by DAC-9)

So since Audirvana can run AU units in realtime, I tried a free one, with the following settings:

Are these sensible settings? I don't have much experience with this lower bass stuff, since I've never had enough of it to have to think about it.

I know I should probably have some proper measurements done at some point, and maybe invest in some acoustic treatment and/or room EQ software like Dirac, but my makeshift solution seems to have helped some.
Just don't know if it's the best solution per se. Is software EQ (without doing measurement) a good idea? Does the software actually degrade the audio quality a little?