Author Topic: Anyone know CG Speakers?  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Terra

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
Anyone know CG Speakers?
« on: May 18, 2016, 10:58:33 AM »
Has anyone heard of CG Speakers?
I've stripped my little Sanyo speakers that is part of a very old micro hi-fi system. These little things produce such a good sound that I was interested to find out about the construction parts. Found that they are not brandless or Sanyo. Both the tweeter and drivers are CG Speakers
The quality looks good, but can't find anything on the web about CG speakers. All I found was something of Compression Guide Speakers, but these guys sound like a high-end speaker company in America. So I'm not sure.

Anyone??

Offline Terra

• AVForums Member
Re: Anyone know CG Speakers?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 11:04:47 AM »
Still no-one?? Someone must know, or maybe came across these?

Offline oNyX

• AVForums Veteran
  • All things vintage has history.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 12:16:57 AM »
I doubt anyone would find any info. All you can do is sit back an listen to it mysteriously.
Recapping of vintage equipment isn't restoration. By definition, restoration means returning to it's original condition.

Oh, what difficult hobby this is. When you hear something new you'll find yourself swapping out or upgrading kit.

Offline d0dja

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 11:54:40 AM »
If it's an older Japanese unit the parts sourcing will be 99.99% from Japanese component suppliers that have no consumer facing marketing. So you'd probably need an old Japanese dude to answer as there'd almost 99.9999999% be nothing on the English language web.

Offline Terra

• AVForums Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 11:44:44 AM »
It's a shame really, as I really think these that little things sound amazing. And would've love to be able to purchase some of these drivers one day and build something cheap but nice sounding...

oNyX, they are currently stacked in my cupboard here in my office as my AE's has taken over, but I think I'm sommer gonna hook'em up today and listen to them for while, just for the heck of it..

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 12:32:38 PM »
CG is probably an OEM manufacturer. There is no guarantee that if you manage to buy drivers manufactured by them, it would be of the same quality, because these factories make everything. It is better to go with something that is a known quantity like Tang Band, which has several models available form the popular outlets. For some objective references (there are others that may be more current; also check other DIY forums), see:

http://zaphaudio.com/

He hasn't published anything for a few years now, but a lot of the models are still current.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Terra

• AVForums Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 09:20:57 AM »
Thanks Shonver!
Not really after buying these drivers though. I'm just sooo impressed by the sound quality. But, yah, bygesÍ, majority of micro hi-fi bookshelfs sound good at low volume, regardless of price. Once you stepped on it, they start toppling over, but strangely these keep going..