Author Topic: The Coffee Thread  (Read 10763 times)

Offline LouisF

Re: The Coffee Thread
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2018, 10:03:43 AM »
haha typical of coffee snobs to look down on instant coffee :) . I actually like the instant coffee but for the price you can get a much better coffee. It's not bad...I like it. But like I said, for R60 you can get a nice full body coffee.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
My take on coffee, as on wine and whiskey, is that if it tastes good, to you that is good coffee/wine/whiskey. I am no fan of instant myself and never make in my own home anymore, but when I visit friends, I do not turn up my nose for it - bad manners in any case - and hereabouts people drink mostly tea, especially Rooibos. The latter I only drink in a red latte or when I do not feel so well and I have no other choice and the former not at all. But this thread is not about Rooibos.
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline Jazzy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • S.E.T. for life!
The Vinyl Frontier!

Offline AlienLlama

« Reply #107 on: June 14, 2018, 09:41:48 AM »
Anyone using the aeropress? Consider selling? What are your thoughts? Also, at what price point would I get a quality coffee machine (not drip machine or just espresso)? I currently use a french press, but considering to buy expensive beans so want to do it justice. Chemex and pour over not an option.

Offline JamesB

« Reply #108 on: June 14, 2018, 12:08:57 PM »
I use my aeropress as a portable coffee maker when on holiday. It's decent enough for my liking and sure beats drinking instant coffee, but I can't really say it'd replace my coffee machine anytime soon.  The process of making a cup of coffee as well as the cleanup is also not something I want to do on a regular basis.

As to what machine and price point I'd recommend, it would really depend on your coffee preference.  If you prefer espresso or espresso based drinks (cappuccino, latte etc), then go for an espresso maker, but if you prefer brewed coffee (and no, an americano does not replace the taste of a nice cup of brewed coffee) then a normal coffee brewer, or if you want something fancy, a bit of theater and a nice cup of coffee to boot then a siphon.

Offline AlienLlama

« Reply #109 on: June 14, 2018, 12:21:27 PM »
I'm the type of person that drinks a cup every other day. I don't mind taking a lot of time to make a cup of coffee. In my opinion, the cheaper coffee machines burn the coffee. From what I read up on, professional baristas use the aeropress and is a solid performer in it's own right. The syphon is just a lot of work. I pretty much only like normal coffee nothing fancy like a latte. Normal coffee. I feel it's a toss up with the french press. With some coffee it works well and a fine grind is great and you get all the flavour. With others, you need to put in more coffee with a coarse grind to not get that acidic taste. I also only drink medium to dark and dark roasts.

Offline vleisman

« Reply #110 on: June 14, 2018, 12:23:24 PM »
I use my aeropress as a portable coffee maker when on holiday. It's decent enough for my liking and sure beats drinking instant coffee, but I can't really say it'd replace my coffee machine anytime soon.  The process of making a cup of coffee as well as the cleanup is also not something I want to do on a regular basis.

As to what machine and price point I'd recommend, it would really depend on your coffee preference.  If you prefer espresso or espresso based drinks (cappuccino, latte etc), then go for an espresso maker, but if you prefer brewed coffee (and no, an americano does not replace the taste of a nice cup of brewed coffee) then a normal coffee brewer, or if you want something fancy, a bit of theater and a nice cup of coffee to boot then a siphon.

Had to youtube the siphon thing. Now I want one. Dammit.

Offline JamesB

« Reply #111 on: June 14, 2018, 12:48:19 PM »
I'm the type of person that drinks a cup every other day. I don't mind taking a lot of time to make a cup of coffee. In my opinion, the cheaper coffee machines burn the coffee. From what I read up on, professional baristas use the aeropress and is a solid performer in it's own right. The syphon is just a lot of work. I pretty much only like normal coffee nothing fancy like a latte. Normal coffee. I feel it's a toss up with the french press. With some coffee it works well and a fine grind is great and you get all the flavour. With others, you need to put in more coffee with a coarse grind to not get that acidic taste. I also only drink medium to dark and dark roasts.

If you were to get a coffee machine, make sure that it comes with temperature control.  But the coffee burnt taste can also come from the grinder if it is a blade grinder.  Preferably, use a ceramic burr grinder so that the beans are evenly ground and does not get burnt.

If you do just normal coffee, then you can eliminate the espresso machines.  I'd say stick with your french press then, the aeropress is good but at over R600 now won't really make you go wow.  However the filter does smooth out the taste and removes the acidic flavor a bit.  1 thing I can suggest though, is that water temperature really plays a big part on how your coffee tastes, in the absence of being able to measure the water temperature before pouring, don't pour immediately after boiling the water but wait around 20 to 30 seconds to let the temperature drop a bit.

As far as coffee beans are concerned, I find that nothing beats Illy's dark roast beans (the one with the black cap), that is if you like your coffee a bit bitter and with a kick.  For a more smooth and creamy coffee, I then go for Lavazza's Pienaroma.

Offline JamesB

« Reply #112 on: June 14, 2018, 12:51:43 PM »
Had to youtube the siphon thing. Now I want one. Dammit.

Been eyeing one as well for sometime now, just really needs a lot of effort to make a cup or two. I love the theater of it but in terms of flavor I would go for Chemex.

Offline AlienLlama

« Reply #113 on: June 14, 2018, 01:02:40 PM »
If you were to get a coffee machine, make sure that it comes with temperature control.  But the coffee burnt taste can also come from the grinder if it is a blade grinder.  Preferably, use a ceramic burr grinder so that the beans are evenly ground and does not get burnt.

If you do just normal coffee, then you can eliminate the espresso machines.  I'd say stick with your french press then, the aeropress is good but at over R600 now won't really make you go wow.  However the filter does smooth out the taste and removes the acidic flavor a bit.  1 thing I can suggest though, is that water temperature really plays a big part on how your coffee tastes, in the absence of being able to measure the water temperature before pouring, don't pour immediately after boiling the water but wait around 20 to 30 seconds to let the temperature drop a bit.

As far as coffee beans are concerned, I find that nothing beats Illy's dark roast beans (the one with the black cap), that is if you like your coffee a bit bitter and with a kick.  For a more smooth and creamy coffee, I then go for Lavazza's Pienaroma.
Well that sounds extremely sad Now I can't really do much further. Well I was planning on buying one just to play around or maybe borrowing one. From what I read it sounded better than the french press.I do the water trick. I've actually boiled it to pin point accuracy and the kettle still tasted better. I've used fresh beans from roasteries and can honestly say the only coffee that beats it is the VIP gold packet from house of coffees. Sad I know.

Offline Ju_dy@RT

« Reply #114 on: June 14, 2018, 01:09:49 PM »
....  Some tell me the food there is better than the coffee.
\
Really?  I bought it once.  Reminded me of Petrol station/Airport take-out... or Woolies warm-ups at most. (the latter IMHO, being better)

And yes... coffee was bleh.

Offline JamesB

« Reply #115 on: June 14, 2018, 01:42:48 PM »
Well that sounds extremely sad Now I can't really do much further. Well I was planning on buying one just to play around or maybe borrowing one. From what I read it sounded better than the french press.I do the water trick. I've actually boiled it to pin point accuracy and the kettle still tasted better. I've used fresh beans from roasteries and can honestly say the only coffee that beats it is the VIP gold packet from house of coffees. Sad I know.

The aeropress does taste better than the french press as that slight pressure does extract a bit more flavor from the coffee and the filter refines the taste as it not only filters out the grounds but some of the oils as well, which a french press' filter cannot do as it usually is only a wire mesh.  Maybe you can try using a french press paper filter

Offline bushtech37

« Reply #116 on: June 14, 2018, 02:47:11 PM »
Very happy with my Bialetti's & easy to clean

Offline AlienLlama

« Reply #117 on: June 14, 2018, 03:05:29 PM »
Very happy with my Bialetti's & easy to clean
The coffee almost always gets burnt and almost no flavour. Can get very strong though, but no crema. Bialetti's are very well made.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+111)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #118 on: June 14, 2018, 04:15:30 PM »
Got some dreadful coffee from Quaffee at Buitenverwaghting last week.  Friend was enthusiastic about a Honduran blend he bought, so we went to get another.  This was not in stock and the sales lady recommended some Antigua Organic. R 130 for a 250g bag.

We both thought it was dreadful, so this morning, despite the thunderous rain (yes, it rains in Cape Town) I took it back.  The same sales lady was indifferent, so spotted the owner, a German fellow.  He took one look and said this should not have been on sale, it appears that it had been in storage for a long period and was becoming bitter

It transpires that this coffee, when in bean form, is passed through the gut of a goat and retrieved from its droppings.  An interesting concept I am sure

Anyway, we each received a 1kg packet of house-blend, which I am pleased to say is excellent
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline AlienLlama

« Reply #119 on: June 14, 2018, 04:18:02 PM »
Got some dreadful coffee from Quaffee at Buitenverwaghting last week.  Friend was enthusiastic about a Honduran blend he bought, so we went to get another.  This was not in stock and the sales lady recommended some Antigua Organic. R 130 for a 250g bag.

We both thought it was dreadful, so this morning, despite the thunderous rain (yes, it rains in Cape Town) I took it back.  The same sales lady was indifferent, so spotted the owner, a German fellow.  He took one look and said this should not have been on sale, it appears that it had been in storage for a long period and was becoming bitter

It transpires that this coffee, when in bean form, is passed through the gut of a goat and retrieved from its droppings.  An interesting concept I am sure

Anyway, we each received a 1kg packet of house-blend, which I am pleased to say is excellent
The cheapy antigua dark roast is also great, actually.