Author Topic: The Coffee Thread  (Read 8997 times)

Offline leonpjhb

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: The Coffee Thread
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2018, 05:39:31 AM »
Looks good. Thnx for sharing.

Offline LouisF

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2018, 02:21:15 PM »
What a pleasant surprise to happen onto this thread. Been into coffee for a number of years now and have some passable kit that suits me quite well.
What I have picked up on coffee websites (home-barista, coffeegeek and others) is that the proper recipe for espresso goes like this:
7 g for a single, 14 for a double (I use 16 g in a double basket); water temp 92 - 96C (according to your taste) and a grind that allows 30 ml of coffee be extracted in 25 sec at a pressure of 9 Bar. The duration of the extraction is the same for both a single and a double shot because of the differences in the size and shape of the two baskets - or filters to be more exact. However; when one uses a bigger amount of grinds, the extraction could conceivably be to 35 sec, according to some baristas on the www.

If the espresso tastes bitter you are over extracting, if too acid to the point of being sour you are under extracting. Taste should have slight acidity.

I find this a good website to learn about coffee and their Signature blends are good.
www.elcoffee.co.za. Prices very competitive.
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline Contrabass

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2018, 07:00:58 PM »
Nice thread.

For those in Edenvale area there is a place in Stoneridge called Royal Coffee Roasters. It is owned by a real enthusiast (Kosie) and has a great variety of blends and single varieties.

I have been very into the coffee thing to varying degrees for a while. Anyone using the manual methods (Aero press, Hario v60 etc) should invest in a proper scale and timer. This let's you follow a recipe, and make a consistently awesome blend. I use an Acaia. Brilliant thing.

A good grinder is a must, although if you drink a lot buying freshly ground from a good shop will probably be more practical than the mission of a manual grinder.

Thanks for the heads-up SeanJammy. I took your advice and popped into Royal Coffee Roasters at Stoneridge and tried some of their blends and ended up buying some expresso blends to take home. Was good chatting to Klasie who is very knowledgeable. Love the smell of that place ! :coffee:

Offline AlienLlama

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2018, 07:25:21 PM »
Let's throw a cat amongst the pigeons. Have you ever tried Robusta beans? What was your experience?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Offline LouisF

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2018, 08:53:37 AM »
Let's throw a cat amongst the pigeons. Have you ever tried Robusta beans? What was your experience?

I want to try that, if only just because everybody says it is bad - like burnt rubber, I have read many times.
David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline gavinbirss

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2018, 09:11:02 AM »
Some beans are up to 30% robusta like Lazatza.

Robusta is used for instant coffee as it has harsher flavor and easier to grow.

Offline AlienLlama

• AVForums Member
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2018, 09:28:52 AM »
Indeed, like Gavin said. The plant has a higher yield than the normal arabica bean's plant. It does taste harsher (less aromatic and more of a groundy taste). However... I went to the lowveld and met a farmer who made a combination of arabica 90%, and a 10% robusta. This gives a far stronger caffeine mix than the usual arabica, but because most of the taste comes from arabica you get a great taste. Lavazza's 30% is way too much for me but the 10% seems like a winner. I don't know how or why but this particular coffee had almost no acidity in taste. Finding 100% robusta beans on the shelves will be impossible. People scough when I just mention the bean, but I've had a different experience with this combination.

Offline oNyX

• AVForums Veteran
  • All things vintage has history.
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2018, 09:50:43 PM »
I have one of these.  :giggle:

The Pocket Plunger
Recapping of vintage equipment isn't restoration. By definition, restoration means returning to it's original condition.

Oh, what difficult hobby this is. When you hear something new you'll find yourself swapping out or upgrading kit.

Offline oNyX

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2018, 06:57:27 PM »
I buy this coffee. I like it a lot, but I don't see very few people buying it or their opinion on it.

Recapping of vintage equipment isn't restoration. By definition, restoration means returning to it's original condition.

Oh, what difficult hobby this is. When you hear something new you'll find yourself swapping out or upgrading kit.

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2018, 07:08:25 AM »
I buy this coffee. I like it a lot, but I don't see very few people buying it or their opinion on it.

Makro in Riversands had the 800g for R149-99 on Thursday. Wife boght 2 for the office, alas the fact that she has had a home that also drinks coffee was forgotten!  :baseball:
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline Skylark

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2018, 03:28:58 PM »

Best of the worst probably..
No instant can rival a half decent freshly ground bean brew.
Music is in the Mind

Offline oNyX

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2018, 03:34:41 PM »
Best of the worst probably..
No instant can rival a half decent freshly ground bean brew.

I read on the can (glass) that it'se freeze dried. It's much better than Jacobs and contains no chicory.

Offline AlienLlama

• AVForums Member
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2018, 04:00:39 PM »
haha typical of coffee snobs to look down on instant coffee :) . I actually like the instant coffee but for the price you can get a much better coffee. It's not bad...I like it. But like I said, for R60 you can get a nice full body coffee.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - listen with your ears
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2018, 04:38:10 PM »
The East London Coffee Company prices are really good (thanks LouisF).  The same coffee at Quaffee at Buitenverwagting is 30% more expensive.  I showed the owner this website and the prices.  He pretended to be unimpressed, but when I went to pay for what I had chosen, presented me with a bag of Jaime Casallas which sells there for R115,00 for a 250gm pack

This is Quaffee's current prices.  They usually have more on the shelves - http://quaffee.co.za/QuaffeeCoffees.aspx

Offline LouisF

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2018, 09:58:20 AM »
The East London Coffee Company prices are really good (thanks LouisF).  The same coffee at Quaffee at Buitenverwagting is 30% more expensive.  I showed the owner this website and the prices.  He pretended to be unimpressed, but when I went to pay for what I had chosen, presented me with a bag of Jaime Casallas which sells there for R115,00 for a 250gm pack

This is Quaffee's current prices.  They usually have more on the shelves - http://quaffee.co.za/QuaffeeCoffees.aspx
Allan Hawkins of EL Coffee once sent me some of their Tanzanian single origin coffee and it was really excellent. One could actually taste the sugar in it. Highly recommended for espresso, drip and plunger alike; probably good for stove top (mocha pot) as well, but I do not have one of those to try it out.
David Avocado Wolfe