Author Topic: The Coffee Thread  (Read 11536 times)

Offline Abu

Re: The Coffee Thread
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2017, 07:52:01 PM »
Heavenly Coffees.. cool. I see they are quite reasonable with most beans 50 to 60 bucks per 250g.

I think I'll give them a go. Any favourites?

:thumbs:

Offline WELIHF

« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2017, 08:50:54 PM »
Their raw beans are almost half the price.

Their Angels brew blend is quite good

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Offline Gerlach

« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2017, 12:34:31 PM »
Recently started roasting my own beans on the stove. Works surprisingly well but makes quite a mess with the chaff.

My second batch so far

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Nice to see someone is playing with coffee to. I'm busy planning on building my own small roaster to roast about 1 to 2 kg coffee.

Hahaha! jip, it can make a lot of chaff. What you can do is, play a bit with your heat to form a profile. Get a stop watch and start timing it  and write it down when you turn the heat a bit down, and then up again, to change caramelization of the sugar in side the bean.  You will be amaze what sort of taste you get.

We spoil with all the places in cape town that sells beans and all the roasters.
Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

Offline Mavrik

« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2017, 02:17:57 PM »
Best coffee I've tasted = Hazz

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2017, 03:21:52 PM »
 At the Muizenberg market today, Mugg and Bean pods at R20 for a pack of 10.  6 different flavours
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline Jazzy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • S.E.T. for life!
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2018, 07:10:19 PM »
I asked someone how they make the coffee they sell at their shop and he said they use Segafredo Extra Strong, grind it, and gooi in a plunger with hot water. Can it ever be that simple or is he protecting his secret recipe? It is by far the best black 'americano' I have tasted and I want to make it at the office daily. Your thoughts and advice?
The Vinyl Frontier!

Offline gavinbirss

« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2018, 08:06:56 PM »
I asked someone how they make the coffee they sell at their shop and he said they use Segafredo Extra Strong, grind it, and gooi in a plunger with hot water. Can it ever be that simple or is he protecting his secret recipe? It is by far the best black 'americano' I have tasted and I want to make it at the office daily. Your thoughts and advice?

It was not muddy and had gold bubbles? Find a plunger seldon gives a clean brew like a poor-over with a proper filter. Can you describe what made it the best 'americano'?

The secret here may just be that the beans were fresh and correctly grinded?

See it is not a cheap bean, dollar and local price seems to be R 350-480 or more per KG

Aroma?
Flavor?
Taste? Acidity?
Sugar or sweetner added?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 08:13:10 PM by gavinbirss »

Offline Jazzy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • S.E.T. for life!
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2018, 08:41:43 PM »
Yes it was muddy and tasted creamy and smooth! Rounded rich flavour. Just tasted like nothing I have had before. This is from The Butchershop Sandton City. I'm guessing the C.T. one also serves it the same way
The Vinyl Frontier!

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2018, 08:58:36 PM »
The best selection of beans I found last year was at Quaffee at Buitenverwaghting in Constantia.  There is an every-day blend for about R90 for a 250gr packet, and other varieties costing much more that you can keep for special occasions
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline Dubya Jay Dee

« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2018, 09:26:48 PM »
Have been using Terbodore Coffee beans from Franschoek the last couple of months in my Saeco bean to cup machine and it is very special at an excellent price I think.

Their dark roast quirky named "The Great Dane" is a favourite - but the medium dark roast "This Is Africa" is also special.

http://www.terbodorecoffee.co.za/coffees/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9o3pq47O2AIVZZPtCh1AWQNEEAAYASAAEgLOy_D_BwE

Offline seanjammy

« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2018, 08:30:08 PM »
Nice thread.

For those in Edenvale area there is a place in Stoneridge called Royal Coffee Roasters. It is owned by a real enthusiast (Kosie) and has a great variety of blends and single varieties.

I have been very into the coffee thing to varying degrees for a while. Anyone using the manual methods (Aero press, Hario v60 etc) should invest in a proper scale and timer. This let's you follow a recipe, and make a consistently awesome blend. I use an Acaia. Brilliant thing.

A good grinder is a must, although if you drink a lot buying freshly ground from a good shop will probably be more practical than the mission of a manual grinder.

Here's my rig.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Offline leonpjhb

« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2018, 08:38:55 PM »
Fabulous post.

Please post your “recipes” on here. Lovely grinder - understatement. Try roasting you own,- it is very satisfying

Nice thread.

For those in Edenvale area there is a place in Stoneridge called Royal Coffee Roasters. It is owned by a real enthusiast (Kosie) and has a great variety of blends and single varieties.

I have been very into the coffee thing to varying degrees for a while. Anyone using the manual methods (Aero press, Hario v60 etc) should invest in a proper scale and timer. This let's you follow a recipe, and make a consistently awesome blend. I use an Acaia. Brilliant thing.

A good grinder is a must, although if you drink a lot buying freshly ground from a good shop will probably be more practical than the mission of a manual grinder.

Here's my rig.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Offline Skylark

« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2018, 10:49:40 PM »
Good beans and a good grinder should be first stop in anyone's coffee journey, that's a solid foundation that allows you to properly appreciate coffee and what makes a good cup from the get go.

Good coffee properly ground will make great tasting coffee in any one of the basic manual coffee makers and from there the sky is the limit.
Music is in the Mind

Offline seanjammy

« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2018, 10:53:45 PM »
Fabulous post.

Please post your “recipes” on here. Lovely grinder - understatement. Try roasting you own,- it is very satisfying

Thanks Leon. I’d love to roast, I just don’t have the time, or drink enough coffee to justify. Maybe one day. Anyone who wants to visit to listen to 20 year old Wilsons, and tast coffee is welcome.

For Espresso I generally prefer a 1:1.5 ratio with African beans, 1.2 with Guatemalan, and 1:1 with dark roasts and Colombians. A double shot at 1.5 gives me a nice base for big milk drinks, about 35ml Espresso to 250ml nicely textured milk.

I am a huge V60 fan. Sweetest, cleanest brew. My recipe is pretty simple, 20g coffee to 300ml water, 40sec bloom, then about 2:50 sec pour. Water just off boiling. Most African blends really come alive, grind medium to medium fine.

This is a great Aeropress recipe (not mine) pretty simple, and a nice sweet blend. I generally use a steel Aeropress filter though, less mess.

MARTIN KARABINOS, SLOVAKIA
2nd Place: 2014 World AeroPress Championship
Coffee: 18.5g
Water: 215g @ 35°C & 92°C
Brewer: Upright
Filter: Paper

Grind coffee at "6.2" on a Malkoenig EK43 (halfway between filter and Espresso]
Heat some water to 35°C, the rest to 92°C
Add 80g of water at 35°C
Stir well, close the AeroPress and leave for three minutes
Add 135g of water at 92°C
Stir once
Press down slowly for 30 seconds
Total brew time - 3:30

Offline seanjammy

« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2018, 11:00:10 PM »
I forgot one of my favorite recipes for hot summers day. About 100ml very cold Milk, some ice, and extract a shot onto the ice without stirring. This is called a Muddy Espresso.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 11:02:16 PM by seanjammy »