Author Topic: The Coffee Thread  (Read 18393 times)

Offline Daredevil

Re: The Coffee Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2016, 07:06:21 AM »
Blade grinder are rubbish and should never be considered.

Don't know where you get this from, stop speaking to the wannabee baristas with beards, body art and funny hairstyles who make you the crappy coffee you complain about. These guys have industrial grinders to work with.

Blade grinders are the most sold worldwide in their millions. Only downfall is when they break you have to buy another one.

There is a simple system to get whatever grind you want, be it for filter, pour over, moka pot and even espresso.

Method is grind for 10 seconds, rest for 10 seconds and so on. This way the beans are not overheated and you get the required grind.

Blade grinders cut the coffee bean which is very different from crushing it like a burr grinder. Can you gut garlic to the constancy you get when you use a crusher? I think not. They could possibly be the most sold worldwide because they are the cheapest. What do you think there are more of, consumers wanting small cheap grinders at home or coffee bars wanting hi volume, robust grinders?

I didn't complain about bearded, tattoos baristas, they are the guys who usually make the quality coffee. Please quote on where I said that?

The only differences between a small quality burr grinder and an "industrial one" the way you put it is the degrees of adjustability, build quality, consistency and volume. Also these grinders yield a better result so again the bearded barista you speak of will make a better coffee using one not a worse one.

Offline Crankshaft

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2016, 08:18:31 AM »
I just dug and old coffee grinder out of the kitchen cupboard.

It was a gift from some years ago.  Looks like a vintage metal-conical-burr type.

Not sure of the quality - seems a bit trinketty, but I'll clean it up and give it a spin.

Offline Daredevil

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2016, 09:13:56 AM »
Sometimes it's not a bad idea to stick a vacume down the top and suck out all the dust.

Offline gapco

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2016, 09:35:20 AM »
OK I won't post any more comments here. There are obviously members who know better than my many years of experience in coffee roasting/making and equipment repairing.

I'll follow the thread though just in case I'm reminded of something I may have forgotten.  :popcorn:

Give me an espresso and nobody gets hurt....

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2016, 09:55:47 AM »
The French have been making cars for decades...
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Skylark

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2016, 10:40:06 AM »
OK I won't post any more comments here. There are obviously members who know better than my many years of experience in coffee roasting/making and equipment repairing.

I'll follow the thread though just in case I'm reminded of something I may have forgotten.  :popcorn:
And you would be?
Music is in the Mind

Offline alternativeroute

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2016, 10:57:04 AM »

:ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:  :ROFLMAO:

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2016, 11:49:05 AM »

:BWAHAHAH: :BWAHAHAH: :BWAHAHAH:
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline vorsteac

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2016, 05:36:12 AM »
Great thread guys1

I used a Krups manual machine for a number of years until it gave up the ghost.
I then moved on to a cheapie Boardmans machine (also manual).

Used a Krups burr grinder for years, even had to bypass the safety switch when that gave in.

Recently I became more lazy and moved to a Phillips Seaco Minuto. Automatic machine.
Got it on a really good special at Makro (R4000.00) for a bean-to-cup machine. No brainer.

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2016, 07:40:31 AM »
For those in Jozi pop in to Sprada - they're part of Foghound Studios on Richards Drive in Midrand.

Full range of bean to cup machines.

We used to do all their machine and coffee bean deliveries & returns for them. Ratio of returns to deliveries was around 1 in 30, so they seem to be reliable - that included coffee shops and privately owned machines.

http://www.foghound.co.za/sprada/
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline xenithon

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2016, 12:32:50 PM »
For those in Jozi pop in to Sprada - they're part of Foghound Studios on Richards Drive in Midrand.

Full range of bean to cup machines.

We used to do all their machine and coffee bean deliveries & returns for them. Ratio of returns to deliveries was around 1 in 30, so they seem to be reliable - that included coffee shops and privately owned machines.

I suggested my brother get one and he is very happy. It is an SA company but the machines are manufactured in Switzerland so are pretty well built.

Offline Daredevil

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2016, 07:29:57 AM »

Fogbound also have some descent beans, had them a few times and they are pretty good.

Offline Daredevil

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2016, 03:42:25 PM »
Went to Starbucks in Mall of Africa today. The store look great, big, nice look and I think it would be a good place to meet mates and chat. The coffee however is very mediocre. I would defintely not stand in a line there to get one. Some tell me the food there is better than the coffee.

Offline Andrew

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2016, 03:49:45 PM »
Went to Starbucks in Mall of Africa today. The store look great, big, nice look and I think it would be a good place to meet mates and chat. The coffee however is very mediocre. I would defintely not stand in a line there to get one. Some tell me the food there is better than the coffee.

Starbucks is hugely overrated - experienced their coffee when I was in New Zealand and the average corner cafe made better quality. Locally I enjoy Seattle Coffee in Cresta. Have had the (very) occasional slightly bitter cup, but in general their stuff is really nice.
Don't judge me for being quiet - no one plans a murder aloud.

Offline Daredevil

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2016, 06:11:45 PM »
Starbucks is hugely overrated - experienced their coffee when I was in New Zealand and the average corner cafe made better quality. Locally I enjoy Seattle Coffee in Cresta. Have had the (very) occasional slightly bitter cup, but in general their stuff is really nice.

Seattle in Cresta are great and whole lot better than the Starbucks that I had today. Motherland in Rosebank are also consistanly good.