Author Topic: The Coffee Thread  (Read 17543 times)

Offline Toxxyc

Re: The Coffee Thread
« Reply #225 on: January 25, 2019, 10:14:56 AM »
use the electric drill.  :rubhands:

I've used my battery drill.  Works well, but it damages the screw thread where it attaches, so I stopped...   :vsad:

Offline Gerlach

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Far Far away there was a land that was far away.
« Reply #226 on: January 25, 2019, 01:16:01 PM »
I've used my battery drill.  Works well, but it damages the screw thread where it attaches, so I stopped...   :vsad:

hahahaha! Hoe se hulle, boer maak n plan. maybe get something like this to screw on to the thread, but it is the best to look for something that will do the job right.

Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

Offline Toxxyc

« Reply #227 on: January 25, 2019, 01:34:02 PM »
Yeah I can make a plan, I guess, but an electric grinder isn't that expensive anymore.  They seemed to have dipped in prices since I bought the hand grinder.  One day.

Offline LouisF

« Reply #228 on: January 26, 2019, 10:07:57 AM »
Suitable electric grinders for drip and so on one can have for R1k - R2K, espresso grinders are a bit steeper in price. Better to wait until you can afford a good grinder, for it is the single most important item in the espresso process.
"No matter how educated, talented, rich or cool you believe you are,
how you treat people ultimately tells all."
David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #229 on: February 05, 2019, 12:00:33 PM »
Look what I got hold of today. 1kg bag  :rubhands:

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+132)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #230 on: February 05, 2019, 12:29:53 PM »
There was a barista at the CT Hi-Fi Club's Vinyl Fair on Sunday 3rd Feb.  He is Bradley Lopes and his business is in Paarden Eiland, Smoke'm Brewhouse

His prices were very reasonable I thought and the coffee excellent. 

He told me that the coffee he used comes from India.  He mentioned Malabar as his personal choice, at R250,00 for a 1Kg bag

Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #231 on: February 05, 2019, 12:42:10 PM »
There was a barista at the CT Hi-Fi Club's Vinyl Fair on Sunday 3rd Feb.  He is Bradley Lopes and his business is in Paarden Eiland, Smoke'm Brewhouse

His prices were very reasonable I thought and the coffee excellent. 

He told me that the coffee he used comes from India.  He mentioned Malabar as his personal choice, at R250,00 for a 1Kg bag

Lekker!! Wish I was there. My wife even told me i can leave her in the hospital, "how nice is she" and go pop in , but I said no, i'm not leaving her out of my eye sight. There will be a next one again.

Looks like you guys are getting the hang of it on Vinyl Fair and getting bigger.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+132)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #232 on: February 05, 2019, 12:51:17 PM »
The next one is on 5th May and will be the 21st VF.  The first one was in 2014 and there were 6 dealers.  On Sunday there were 19 and we have 37 on our mailing list

Advertising via Social Media works best.   There is a bar which opens at 11.00am  (not soon enough for some) and we make boerewors rolls at R30 each.   It was a good idea having this barista, he did a really good job and told me that he exceeded his target by a tidy sum.   There were people queueing up the whole morning

Not the best attended, this was in September last year when over 400 passed through the door.  Who knows why?  Maybe some people like to go to the beach in summer, as you know there is plenty to do in Cape Town
Music is the shorthand of emotion

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #233 on: February 07, 2019, 07:44:32 AM »
Look what I got hold of today. 1kg bag  :rubhands:

So last night I grind some of this coffee and tested it with a friend of my that opened his own little coffee place in PE , Pottie's coffee. This is some really good  :cr@p: . They taste is super smooth and gives really good left over taste in your mouth. It's a medium roast, gold of color with some dark beans mix between it. This is expensive coffee but if you get your hands on a bag, buy it and test it. It is really good. 

Offline LouisF

« Reply #234 on: February 07, 2019, 09:11:10 PM »
I happened on the following web site that carries a wealth of coffee related info.
http://www.supremo.be/en/continent/coffee-encyclopedia
For every real coffee aficionado.
David Avocado Wolfe

I have learned more from people who have differed from me than from those who have agreed with me.

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #235 on: February 08, 2019, 01:17:31 PM »
I happened on the following web site that carries a wealth of coffee related info.
http://www.supremo.be/en/continent/coffee-encyclopedia
For every real coffee aficionado.

Nice!! some good stuff one there. Someone got me this book when they where on boat trip. There was this guys that works on the boat and his job is to make coffee and to show you how t make coffee to explain all about it.

There some nice info and it give you a map of all the places in SA where there is coffee shops and roasters.

Offline LouisF

« Reply #236 on: February 08, 2019, 07:15:02 PM »
@ Gerlach
Looks a very interesting book. I have one of these and it is also quite comprehensive. Takealot or Amazon, can't remember which.

David Avocado Wolfe

Offline LouisF

David Avocado Wolfe

Offline JoziNic

« Reply #238 on: February 12, 2019, 12:10:19 PM »
So I have of late been really enjoying cold brew coffee (essentially the coffee is brewed cold, as opposed to extracted from a shot, or made as a hot brew then cooled)...there are a few methods some that include expensive hario dripping brewers, but have found a super easy method that gives me 1.5ltrs of cold brew concentrate for to drink throughout the week.
I find cold brew to really be super easy & flavourful (& have almost zero acidity..infact so much so that when I go back to even a normal americano I sometimes get a kick of super high acidity) for those interested in trying:
a large coffee plunger (French press if you're a hipster)
70g of ground coffee (not too fine, should be a decent mixture of sand & boulders)
500ml of cold water
I normally increase the water to 1.5L but don't triple the coffee measure (I normally go to a max of about 120g)

method:
place plunger on scale
place ground coffee into carafe of plunger to measured weight
fill with ice & cold water
place plunger onto top of carafe (& do not press) allow plunger to sit for a minimum of 6hrs
after a 6 hour steep (I normally do an overnight steep) press plunger down
pour from plunger into bottle & refrigerate
best enjoyed ice cold

I then use this "concentrate" as a 1/3 of a cold brew into a flask or glass filled with ice, and either a splash of almond milk or more ice cold water,

This stereo record cannot be played on old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with. If you are in possession of such equipment please hand it into the nearest police station

Offline Gerlach

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #239 on: February 12, 2019, 07:16:05 PM »
So I have of late been really enjoying cold brew coffee (essentially the coffee is brewed cold, as opposed to extracted from a shot, or made as a hot brew then cooled)...there are a few methods some that include expensive hario dripping brewers, but have found a super easy method that gives me 1.5ltrs of cold brew concentrate for to drink throughout the week.
I find cold brew to really be super easy & flavourful (& have almost zero acidity..infact so much so that when I go back to even a normal americano I sometimes get a kick of super high acidity) for those interested in trying:
a large coffee plunger (French press if you're a hipster)
70g of ground coffee (not too fine, should be a decent mixture of sand & boulders)
500ml of cold water
I normally increase the water to 1.5L but don't triple the coffee measure (I normally go to a max of about 120g)

method:
place plunger on scale
place ground coffee into carafe of plunger to measured weight
fill with ice & cold water
place plunger onto top of carafe (& do not press) allow plunger to sit for a minimum of 6hrs
after a 6 hour steep (I normally do an overnight steep) press plunger down
pour from plunger into bottle & refrigerate
best enjoyed ice cold

I then use this "concentrate" as a 1/3 of a cold brew into a flask or glass filled with ice, and either a splash of almond milk or more ice cold water,

I love my cold brew coffee to. Founded some really cool stuff on Instagram how to make some really nice cold brew. You must go check it out. Even my wife like's it, and the best of all, she wasn't really a real coffee drinker till I start showing how to enjoy it.