Author Topic: The Coffee Thread  (Read 19702 times)

Offline Curlycat

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+56)
Re: The Coffee Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 08:07:56 PM »
I LOVE coffee. I maintain I was not raised on milk, but coffee. I buy my beans from Peacock coffees and grind just enough for one cup at a time. I don't have a fancy automatic R10K cuppacino machine, but have a R1K Russel Hobbs bought from Pick n Pay on special. It brews the same way as the old type cappuccino machines does in restaurants. Nothing is automatic, but boy, it makes an awesome cuppa java. Thick crema on top.

I used to store my coffee in the fridge, but don't anymore. I read it's actually not good to store in the fridge?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 01:02:04 PM by Curlycat »

Offline Daredevil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 08:21:35 PM »
How about something like this: http://www.takealot.com/kitchenaid-burr-grinder-almond-cream/PLID41481567 ?

This grinder is not worth that amount of cash, it's very consumer grade and won't last long. For a little more cash I'd rather get one of these https://www.pricecheck.co.za/offers/77358707/Nuova+Simonelli+Grinta+Grinder it's got proper adjustment and the build is much better quality.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 08:34:24 PM »
I guess it's better value than a record cleaner. I'll start with the manual grinder.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 08:36:46 PM by Rotten Johnny »
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Bigray

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 08:44:39 PM »
I used to store my coffee in the fridge, but don't anymore. I read it's actually not good to store in the fridge?

The coffee dries out if kept in a fridge, and additionally it absorbs odours from other produce stored in there as well. I heard from a barista that ground coffee can be frozen, but not indefinitely. Beans are best kept in an airtight container.

Offline Daredevil

• AVForums Member
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 08:46:55 PM »

It's not that the cold is bad, it's the condensation on the beans caused by the change in temperature when you take them in and out the fridge that's bad.

Offline Curlycat

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+56)
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2016, 09:02:10 PM »
Thanks guys, yeah, storing ground or beans in the fridge never seemed right to me.

I tried Kopi Luwak coffee a while ago... absolutely terrible coffee IMO. Interesting conversation topic, but bland tasting coffee. I gave it away.

Offline Daredevil

• AVForums Member
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2016, 09:10:49 PM »
I guess it's better value than a record cleaner. I'll start with the manual grinder.

Great choice, there is also something nice about hand grinding. It becomes a bit of a ritual that you'll enjoy as much as the coffee itself.

Also if you don't have a descent machine at work look at one of these https://www.yuppiechef.com/aeropress.htm?id=7492&name=AeroPress-Coffee-Maker it's one of favorite coffee toys and it's so simple, it also makes great coffee.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• AVForums Grandmaster

Offline Daredevil

• AVForums Member
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2016, 10:01:28 PM »

Offline Rotten Johnny

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2016, 10:03:46 PM »
How quick can you get a cup out of an aeropress?

Offline gapco

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2016, 10:59:39 PM »
How quick can you get a cup out of an aeropress?

Here's a video for comparison purposes between similar coffee extraction methods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGjjcSwX3JM

Give me an espresso and nobody gets hurt....

Offline Skylark

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2016, 11:09:42 PM »
The aeropress is pretty amazing, great invention, those Kitchenaid grinders are quite decent and reasonably well made but nothing spectacular, not a long term investment.

There's a small artisan British maker of hand grinders, takes the same industrial burr used in many of the top class industrial electric grinders and builds it into a portable grinder with wooden sides, sealed bearings, all precision machined.

That's what you want, the burrs will outlive you, can't remember the name, cost around R3.5k but the value for money is rather spectacular.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 11:13:40 PM by Skylark »
Music is in the Mind

Offline gapco

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2016, 11:32:27 PM »
 Blade grinder are rubbish and should never be considered.
[/quote]

Don't know where you get this from, stop speaking to the wannabee baristas with beards, body art and funny hairstyles who make you the crappy coffee you complain about. These guys have industrial grinders to work with.

Blade grinders are the most sold worldwide in their millions. Only downfall is when they break you have to buy another one.

There is a simple system to get whatever grind you want, be it for filter, pour over, moka pot and even espresso.

Method is grind for 10 seconds, rest for 10 seconds and so on. This way the beans are not overheated and you get the required grind.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 11:45:15 PM by gapco »

Offline gapco

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2016, 11:42:53 PM »
For electric burr grinders the Severin M38XX can't remember the model is a great grinder. Needs to be modded though for espresso grinds which is a simple thirty minute job.

Costs less than 2K and I don't get any in for repairs.

Offline Skylark

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2016, 01:28:42 AM »
These are the hand grinders I was thinking about:
http://www.madebyknock.com/handgrind-grinders.html
Music is in the Mind