Getting true 5.1 with Sub out of a X-Fi Extreme Music

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enigma_2k4

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK, something has been baffling me for a while. In my media PC I have a Creative X-Fi Extreme music as my DAC. I've connected that to my amp via SPDIF.

Of course SPDIF is only 2 channel and that's fine. My amp then uses left+right and splits it to the subs too. If I play a DVD thru the PC it sends Dolby digital (or the like) thru the SPDIF to the amp and that processes the surround sound perfectly. It's also great for listening to music as most of my collection is saved as FLAC format on the PC.

However, I've ripped alot of movies with 5.1 audio (although not dolby or any other form of compression). Now I can get perfect 5 point surround sound with these movies when I use the standard analogue outputs (3 jacks, Front L+R, Rear L+R and sub+centre) however I cannot ever get any bass to the sub. So in Analogue mode the subs NEVER play and that kinda sucks for movies so I've once again reverted back to SPDIF.

When in windows and doing the speaker test thru control panel everything is fine except even then the subs don't play. Now on the amp given that it's a multichanel input the amp won't do any processing on it at all and it just plays out exactly what's thrown into it. How on earth do I go about fixing this?

I've been toying with the idea of connecting an IPod to the sub input to see if that plays because then I should be able to identify if it's the signal or the amp. I suspect myself that it's the signal as when playing thru SPDIF (or Coax for the PS3) the subs play perfectly.

The Amp is a Sony 6.2 (one of those HTITB amps) which I am keen to upgrade but unfortunately won't have the bucks for quite a while.

What should I try and do?

Latest posts