Author Topic: Little Dot mk VI+  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Wolvebain

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Consummate Rambler
Little Dot mk VI+
« on: May 05, 2016, 03:31:55 AM »
As the Centurion Head-Fi'er Group knows, I received my Little Dot mk VI+ head.amp recently.. and wow, it's a big step up from the studio amp I used to use.

Amp sounds great.. with POWER too!!!
On the HD800S, it is a bit bright, and lean on the bottom-end... Great space and mids tho.. even on the HD650 & bass-ported + balanced-modded Q701's.
The brightness, from what I've read and discussed with folk on Head-Fi, seems to be because of the stock tubes.

As such, I been looking for better tubes and just recently purchased from eBay the following tubes:
  • Quad matched set of NOS RCA 6AS7G tubes
  • Matched Pair Psvane CV181-T Mark II Vacuum Tube New Premium Grade Treasure Tubes [ + socket-spacer ]

Both sets have been purchased with expedited shipping to South Africa, so I hope to have them soon
Will give an update, with pics, once they arrive.. and hopefully great feedback once they are burnt-in!

Why stand on a silent platform?
Fight the war...

Offline thomas24

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • AVForums Member
Re: Little Dot mk VI+
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 09:49:37 AM »
I think this is going to be my highlight from the upcoming headfi addiction support group meeting. And also the HD800 S.

By the way, have you received your HE-560?

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 03:56:38 PM »
Sweet looking amp that!  :2thumbs:

From my experiences with the Mk III and Mk V LD amps are not bright overly bright.  Not sure if the Mk VI+ is different but remember a lean bottom end is a HD800 trait ... don't think the S changed that.  Neither did it change the fundamental character of the HD800, so it remains a highly analytical, incredibly dynamic and very high-resolution transducer.  The tonal balance (even of the S) is very different to something like the HD650 which is sweeter, rounder, fuller .... think racy dry white wine as opposed to a nicely aged port.

Very keen to take you new toys for a spin  :Whoohoo:
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline Wolvebain

• AVForums Veteran
  • Consummate Rambler
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 11:14:17 PM »
@thomas24: I hope I get the valves soon... and have them burnt-in for a bit at the time of the headphone meet -- still have an alert for a secondhand Cavalli Liquid Gold, so would be very keen on your guys feedback.. and especially Scubadude + a comparison with his ever awesome Phonitor 2 [I'll build a dual 3-pin XLR to single balanced 4-pin XLR cable for the headphone meet]

..And yes, the HE560's arrived sometime this morning, but only got a chance to unbox and listen to them now. LOVE THEM!!! 
I had the Little Dot mk VI+ unplugged yesterday, as I opened it up to see the fan model, as I am looking for a quieter replacement and dust filters... So have the HE-560's plugged into my Samson CQue8 head.amp instead, and I am freaking amazed! 
Even tho the CQue8 head.amp is poor in terms of sound-stage and only average in terms of mids, compared to the current Little Dot mk VI+ set-up [tubes], the bass is more present... and with the HE-560's the bass is TIGHT!  Listen to Rage Against the Machine right now...

@Scubadude: You can pick up the HD800S over the weekend.. sozz bud, I'm just a bit too tired right now to pack everything in for collection tomorrow.. but I'll whatsapp you if I can before leaving to the client tomorrow.
Regarding the 'lean bottom-end of the HD800S, I concur... However, with my HD650 and bass-ported Q701, the bass is still very lean... with the HD800S, its even more so... When I plugged the HD800S to my CQue8 head.amp, was more weighted and present [everything else become 'meh' tho]

LOL @ the wine analogy.. I'm more of a Scotch & Bourbon guy.. but I take it is like Glenfiddich Rare Oak 25 Year Old Single Malt as opposed to Wild Turkey, Rare Breed Barrel Proof ?

Fight the war...

Offline thomas24

• AVForums Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 11:53:58 PM »
Great, can't wait for next week!

Offline Wolvebain

• AVForums Veteran
  • Consummate Rambler
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 11:43:28 PM »
Great news!!  The Psvane CV181-T Mark II tubes & socket-spacers arrived :)

Didn't need to use the socket-spacers, as they work perfectly fine natively...
They don't change the sound-signature drastically... Bass does seem faster.. still have good few hours before the tubes burn-in.

Eagerly awaiting the quad matched set of NOS RCA 6AS7G tubes to arrive..  As they would chance the sound-signature much more.

Also, swapped the stocked fans out and put in a pair of F8 PWM PST CO fans, as well as a set of PMFA80T 80mm fan filters
Although, I'll prob upgrade to the Noctua NF-A8 or similar soon tho
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 11:47:23 PM by Wolvebain »
Fight the war...

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 10:00:58 PM »
Those Psvane's look delicious!  Read some very positive feedback on them ... keen to give it some ear-time  :groovy:

Those spacers are good to prevent socket wear from intensive tube rolling too.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline Wolvebain

• AVForums Veteran
  • Consummate Rambler
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 09:50:28 PM »
The quad matched set of NOS RCA 6AS7G tubes should be delivered  soon-ish [depending on Customs] :)

Here are some pics of a fan tray I want to build for the Little Dot mk VI+

Basically, 6x 120mm, high static CFM/low noise fans, encased in wire-mesh --with small rubber feet attached to the fan screws, through the wire-mesh.  Popped in a small LED & toggle-switch.
Fight the war...

Offline Wolvebain

• AVForums Veteran
  • Consummate Rambler
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 08:34:17 PM »
The matched quad set of NOS RCA 6AS7G tubes arrived.. I love it!!
Will post pictures from this weekend's headphone meet.
Fight the war...

Offline thomas24

• AVForums Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 04:55:48 PM »
Looking forward to the pics. I'll try to not be sick for the next meet

Offline Wolvebain

• AVForums Veteran
  • Consummate Rambler
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 03:35:58 PM »
Really loving the sound of the tubes...

Here's a picture from the past weekend's headphone meet

Fight the war...

Offline Wolvebain

• AVForums Veteran
  • Consummate Rambler
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 05:49:02 PM »
I just had the Astrum CP170 17" slim notebook cooler from takealot delivered, and it fits under the Little Dot mk VI+ perfectly...
Just waiting for delivery on a pair of DemciFlex 80mm Dust Filter + Magnet (Black, Black mesh) from Titan-Ice, and I should be set for silent running on the head.amp :)

Fight the war...

Offline Daredevil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 04:39:18 PM »
That is crazy beautiful, I want one just to look at everyday.

Offline Wolvebain

• AVForums Veteran
  • Consummate Rambler
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 05:30:54 PM »
::Update::

I purchased a pair of 5691 RCA Red Base tubes from TubeDepot.com on the 15th, with following options:
  • Balanced Triodes
  • High Gain
  • Low Noise & Microphonics
  • Matching
Link: https://tubedepot.com/products/5691r-red-base

Total was $.313.15 USD, with shipping
I'm currently awaiting delivery of them, but have reached out to charles for testing them, as well as some of my existing tubes.

Will update this thread with feedback on how they sound, etc.
Fight the war...

Offline Wolvebain

• AVForums Veteran
  • Consummate Rambler
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 08:32:03 PM »
The matched pair of NOS 5691 RCA Red Base driver tubes arrived today from TubeDepot

Will test them our this weekend and post my impressions.

Now to find me a quad matched set of NOS Tung-Sol 5998 power tubes...
Fight the war...