Author Topic: WTF....  (Read 3501 times)

Offline reactor_sa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: WTF....
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2016, 03:58:19 PM »
Forgot.... I DID put my money where my mouth is... between me and a friend we bought out 6 Quad 2905's.... I will NOT sell them for even 3x what I paid.

No Sannie puts it on her Dixon amp and proclaims in full PMS fury - Why does this sound k@k ? .... Emm because....ag fff it...  :vsad:
So instead of telling the seller he must increase his price, you scored. I'm detecting double standards here.

Offline Ju_dy@RT

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+18)
    • Remedytec
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2016, 04:03:36 PM »
I've passed on items because it was "too cheap" especially on gumtree. Occasionally (when it seems like a white elephant sale) I attempt it though... About a week ago I phoned someone for a Giant mountain bike...

Me: "what components does it have?"
"seller": Uhmm not sure... it's got a front shock.  Wait - the Giant?  Oh, I've got three... best you come look, because I am not sure. You can pick the best one.
Me: **drops call**
Remedytec AV -www.remedytec.co.za/promos-news/promotions Tel:0118697755

Offline skollie

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2016, 04:10:53 PM »
Cheerleading or disparaging comments concerning items FS  whether priced too high or too low is impolite and possibly against forum rules as someone has pointed out. The price stated by sellers is the seller's private business and has nothing to do with anyone else unless you are a committed buyer. Any comments from interested parties should be conducted via PM.

How often has it happened here that a poor, ignorant dufus racks up 50 posts and offers a pair of Leak TL12's for R1'000 for the pair? If this should happen and I'm first with my PM to the seller, I'll buy them in a flash without any regret or sorry feelings towards the seller.

skollie
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline legro

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2016, 04:20:57 PM »
Sjoe, this thread, and some of the opinions contained therein ( ^^ Skollie?) makes me feel much more comfortable about using the classifieds. :thinking:

But then again, business is business and I guess ignorance may sometimes not be bliss.

Offline Vince MacMahon

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • One Life...Live It.
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2016, 06:55:59 PM »
The invisible hand of the free market will always win...

I just laugh off those "non negotiable" price tags that become highly negotiable and reduced within a week or so.

Economics will remain just that. Demand & Supply will drive price(s).
Unfortunately the lowly priced items are more of exceptions than rule, to try solve for exceptions is a wasteful excersise.

Happy selling and buying folks..... :popcorn: :groovy:
Marantz - Bowers & Wilkins - AudioQuest

Offline Nidri

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Don't panic.
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2016, 07:32:16 PM »
It's not always that easy to anticipate what people are willing to pay.
Sometimes you go in too low and get a ton of interest within hours.
And then the ones you expect to go fast just sit there in the limbo of bumpville.
Bottom line, you will lose money.
The house always wins.
And the more components you play with, the more money you'll lose.
That's the price of admission.
Anyway, that's my cynical 2c worth.

Offline fredeb

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Lost in Music
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2016, 08:06:47 PM »
To answer the first post :

I have seen on a few for sale threads folk comment that an "unsold" item is too cheap and the seller should up the price..
In my book , that is total folly .. if the item hasnt sold it's normally cos it's too  expensive....

I once told Andre ( Kent Kassler ) that a friend of mine was making chamois bikini's and g-strings and selling them on Green Market Square in the early 90's for R150 a set . The product was well-made , but no-one was buying . After a week or two she upped the price to R300/set . Lo and behold , they flew off the stall . In this case , it's a matter of people thinking that the product is not good if they're not paying good money for it . A matter of marketing psychology .

Strangely enough , KK eventually sold one of his 300B SE's after making mention of putting the price up . The way I see it , is that those amps are waaaay under-priced for the work and effort put into them , and that all Andre's hard work goes unrewarded , besides the reward of being able to listen to the amp himself for a while . Too bad for those of you who haven't fell for KK's well-intended charm . 

On one hand it's good to have affordable 2nd hand components available to those who can't afford a taste of high SQ . On the other , it may destroy the market , or is it the failing Rand that is doing that ? ( Yes , I know it's improving for now , but hasn't that always been the case in winter , when the country's not warm enough to attract foreign moola . ) The thin veneer ( or is it vinyl ) of the supposition that all is well is peeling away to finally expose reality . There may be hope yet .....

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Jozua

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2016, 09:09:36 PM »

..How often has it happened here that a poor, ignorant dufus racks up 50 posts and offers a pair of Leak TL12's for R1'000 for the pair? If this should happen and I'm first with my PM to the seller, I'll buy them in a flash without any regret or sorry feelings towards the seller.

skollie

Skollie

Let's hope the same does not take place with your prized equipment...

Vince MacMahon and fredeb

It not exactly free market principles at play in the second hand market but rather access to opportunity.

I have no problem if Eldene willingly and in full knowledge sells his high end equipment for peanuts. However I am certain with a little bit more marketing skills he can get more. The question now arises if one should do a "skollie" on him and dig for gold or in the background offer some advice to Eldene?

But should Eldene sell his equipment for peanuts it could contribute to shops becoming more become reluctant to trade in equipment - who wants to market equipment that could possibly be picked up for peanuts in a forum classifieds ?

The opposite scenario applies to expensive AV equipment that becomes nearly worthless in 5years. 

My gut feel is new AV equipment is grossly over-priced and high end second hand items are under-priced.

Somehow a market correction is required.

Regards

J

A real audiophile will eventually end up with the ARC Ref stuff..

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2016, 09:17:05 PM »
Somehow a market correction is required.

Sounds like you're trying to scratch an itch.

The only people who need to worry are the retailers. They will sell what the market can afford. Once it's out of their hands, the owner can do with it as he/she pleases. I don't see the problem.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Jessejon

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Valves remain a mystery but, to the chosen..
    • Storytown Productions
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2016, 09:32:40 PM »
To answer the first post :

I once told Andre ( Kent Kassler ) that a friend of mine was making chamois bikini's and g-strings and selling them on Green Market Square in the early 90's for R150 a set . The product was well-made , but no-one was buying . After a week or two she upped the price to R300/set . Lo and behold , they flew off the stall . In this case , it's a matter of people thinking that the product is not good if they're not paying good money for it . A matter of marketing psychology .

Strangely enough , KK eventually sold one of his 300B SE's after making mention of putting the price up . The way I see it , is that those amps are waaaay under-priced for the work and effort put into them , and that all Andre's hard work goes unrewarded , besides the reward of being able to listen to the amp himself for a while . Too bad for those of you who haven't fell for KK's well-intended charm . 

On one hand it's good to have affordable 2nd hand components available to those who can't afford a taste of high SQ . On the other , it may destroy the market , or is it the failing Rand that is doing that ? ( Yes , I know it's improving for now , but hasn't that always been the case in winter , when the country's not warm enough to attract foreign moola . ) The thin veneer ( or is it vinyl ) of the supposition that all is well is peeling away to finally expose reality . There may be hope yet .....

I am the now proud owner of the bespoke 300B SE. This is perhaps beside the point, but I must tell all the sceptics out there that it is probably the best buy I have made in a long time. Pretty she aint, but I still have to hear the amp that will beat it in my current setup.

Well done!! Love it, love this forum. I found my dream speakers because a fellow forumite happen to walk into a little shop and saw "Silverbacks" , mentioned it on the forum, and they were mine a couple of hours later!!

Thought I will just mention it. Lekker man

Keep the good deals coming. Let the sun shine on others..

Offline mastermamo

• AVForums Veteran
  • The Best Way Forward is dRaWkCaB
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2016, 10:05:02 PM »
So what's for sale on this thread? Doesn't it belong somewhere else lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Best Way Forward is dRaWkCaB...

Offline Jozua

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2016, 10:23:47 PM »
Jessejon

Nothing beats a good deal where both parties walk away pleased.

I did offer to buy the new 300b SE owner a meal - so it seems that it will be ..

Regards

J

....I am the now proud owner of the bespoke 300B SE. This is perhaps beside the point, but I must tell all the sceptics out there that it is probably the best buy I have made in a long time. Pretty she aint, but I still have to hear the amp that will beat it in my current setup.
A real audiophile will eventually end up with the ARC Ref stuff..

Offline fredeb

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Lost in Music
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2016, 11:08:32 PM »
Jessejon

Nothing beats a good deal where both parties walk away pleased.

I did offer to buy the new 300b SE owner a meal - so it seems that it will be ..

Regards

J

Blow Jessejon's roof off huh ?  :BWAHAHAH:

I am the now proud owner of the bespoke 300B SE. This is perhaps beside the point, but I must tell all the sceptics out there that it is probably the best buy I have made in a long time. Pretty she aint, but I still have to hear the amp that will beat it in my current setup.

Well done!! Love it, love this forum. I found my dream speakers because a fellow forumite happen to walk into a little shop and saw "Silverbacks" , mentioned it on the forum, and they were mine a couple of hours later!!

Thought I will just mention it. Lekker man

Keep the good deals coming. Let the sun shine on others..

I'm glad you're enjoying it ! The Counterpoint Pre certainly was a steal , and I'm loving it , thank you kindly Jessejon . May the magic music keep on playing !

PS: No price discussions  ;D
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Wolla

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • The wife is always right!
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2016, 11:42:38 PM »
It not exactly free market principles at play in the second hand market but rather access to opportunity.

I have no problem if Eldene willingly and in full knowledge sells his high end equipment for peanuts. However I am certain with a little bit more marketing skills he can get more. The question now arises if one should do a "skollie" on him and dig for gold or in the background offer some advice to Eldene?

But should Eldene sell his equipment for peanuts it could contribute to shops becoming more become reluctant to trade in equipment - who wants to market equipment that could possibly be picked up for peanuts in a forum classifieds ?
J

Not always that easy to sell anything if you live out in the remote areas like Eldene, myself and others and this sometimes mean that 'we' have to price stuff very, very low most of the time (under duress) but otherwise it simply does not sell. High in demand stuff goes out the door ok though.
St Helena Bay - West Coast, WC
1: Korg DS-DAC-100 > Rotel RA-1070 > Linn Nexus
2: Korg DS-DAC-100m > TPA3116D2 chip amp > Piega Premium 3 & B&W PV1
PC: HK GLA-55
Music pillow for the remaining 8 hours ;)

Offline RPM-MACHINE

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2016, 12:37:48 AM »
Why is this thread in the for sale section when nothing is for sale? However when someone does not include a particular required "for sale" prerequisite, they get a warning from moderators. This is double standards! I dont disregard Rodneys reasons for creating this thread but it should be in the appropriate section. Please move to General discussion...
I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing.