Author Topic: WTF....  (Read 3938 times)

Offline Rodney_gold

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
WTF....
« on: April 22, 2016, 11:05:47 AM »
I have seen on a few for sale threads folk comment that an "unsold" item is too cheap and the seller should up the price..
In my book , that is total folly .. if the item hasnt sold it's normally cos it's too  expensive....
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> 2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline BWS

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
Re: WTF....
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 11:12:47 AM »
I have seen on a few for sale threads folk comment that an "unsold" item is too cheap and the seller should up the price..
In my book , that is total folly .. if the item hasnt sold it's normally cos it's too  expensive....

Or, because some of us are poorer than others
Whoever originally coined the word 'Lisp' and put an 'S' in it's spelling, is a Douchebag !!

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • “Without music, life would be a mistake.”
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 11:18:14 AM »
Might it not be suspiciously cheap?  Having been selling my own products for years, I found you should try and quote just a bit under what the customer expects.  He will have in mind, from talking to other people, a figure for the job, so if you come in at 10% under that, the chances of success will be higher.  Quite often, given a lower price, the customer will add extras to the order and bump it up

This is not a hard and fast rule.  Some people are still living in the past and will expect a R5000 product for R1500 and get a shock when you mention the price, or at least pretend to.  Then, when they get other quotes, they soon realise the present day value of things

Offline Rodney_gold

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 11:22:39 AM »
We are talking 2nd hand sales of hifi on this forum..dont be obtuse
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> 2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline colonel66

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 11:23:36 AM »
Rodney i think those that are of the opinion that a said item is too cheap should put their money where there mouth is and stump and buy it...then keep or flog it for its true value are realise a super profit   :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 11:27:52 AM »
It's against the rules to comment on sale price, anyway.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline Jozua

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 01:18:01 PM »
Rodney

I have no problem when a person rolling in money puts up a bargain for sale.  To that seller the item has little value.

I do get concerned when an item unknown to the seller is blatantly under-priced.  You often see it happen with older folk.

I resent seeing fat cat buyer’s push for even lower prices when the seller is in financial distress and in desperate need of money.   

What is a good sale ? Maybe if nobody walks away feeling exploited.

J
A real audiophile will eventually end up with the ARC Ref stuff..

Offline Dknow

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 01:51:17 PM »
You Gotta Love friday's....

:envy:
I don't snore, i dream i am a subwoofer:)

Offline Swindlehurstguy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Portapussy
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 01:51:26 PM »
Perhaps it's just a South Africanism, but folk will always try and chip off a couple thou off the asking price, instead of paying what is fair, when they can actually afford it! Being a softy if someone really wants something and they are scraping money together I will usually help, been there myself. Typically, the great bargains crop up when you have just spent a bundle on something else. On the no comment policy, I can understand that it may lead to issues, but when something is clearly way more than it should be I would hate a fellow forumite to buy it and waste a bag of cash on something which in all seriousness is R30000 more than what the asking price should be.
I pretty much still have my blinkers on and believe that forumites treat each other with consideration and respect, but alas very often the bottom line is $. As for being too cheap, have rarely come across that on any forum let alone this one. It may be true to say that we all want to save a buck here and there, BUT there are definitely cases where one should just shut up and pay the price!

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • “Without music, life would be a mistake.”
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 02:46:49 PM »
My opposite neighbour is a professional chisseler.  He will argue the hind leg off a donkey to try and get a lower price, to the extent that it becomes embarassing.  As a result, his yard and garage is full of old junk which he is too mean to dispose of

Offline ron g

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 02:50:49 PM »

i agree there is a vast difference between a bargain, & taking advantage of an ignorant seller who is not capable.
so if you have a problem with a price being too low, then just let the seller know off line.
they can then decide to re-price the item or not.
there is, imho no law that says they have to honour the initial price to the first responder
tetris is a great life lesson.
accomplishments disappear. mistakes pile up till it's game over....

Offline Francois

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+33)
    • Audio Exchange
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 03:20:50 PM »
I for one believe chucking great equipment at cheap prices kill the 2nd hand market

Lets take the one speacial case I openened my trap about.

Rotel 1090. Replacement R70k+
I have seen ones for R10k - this is madness.

Why ?

Piettie now buys the 1090 for R10k and thinks he can buy the latest preamp for R5k - Now its R70k... he craps his pants, his expensive couch and wifey runs to clean up.
Koosie on the other side just saved his arse off to by the RB 1080. He wants to upgrade to the 1090. He gets offered R5k!! Another guy, another day...couch...pants and desperate wifey

So there goes the market. Top earning guys (R100k/month) buying and chucking things away... And the guys keeping the audio industry RUNNING by buying from shops are all fffed when they try to sell.

Why are so many Audio Shops closing ? Because we cannot make the jump for an UPGRADE!

Why is B&W so successful in Europe - UPGRADE path guys.... you can trade it without Vaseline in you left hand.

Here on the forum.... Use Silicon Military grade grease.....and velcro pants
I was born analog, not digit by digit....

Offline Francois

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+33)
    • Audio Exchange
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 03:23:33 PM »
Forgot.... I DID put my money where my mouth is... between me and a friend we bought out 6 Quad 2905's.... I will NOT sell them for even 3x what I paid.

No Sannie puts it on her Dixon amp and proclaims in full PMS fury - Why does this sound k@k ? .... Emm because....ag fff it...  :vsad:
I was born analog, not digit by digit....

Online BobsYourUncle

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 03:43:22 PM »
A second hand item is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. People aren't prepared/aren't able to pay anymore, That's what's driving prices down. No one is forcing the seller to sell at a lower price, but if the seller urgently needs to move the item, he will adjust his price to what someone is willing pay for it. People have adjusted their expectations accordingly. I wonder when its going to get to the stage where people no longer buy new gear and decent gear becomes worthless. Perhaps people should hold onto their gear until all of the HiFi shops have closed, then perhaps they will get a realistic price for their second hand goods. The middle class citizen has to deal with the fact that every last cent is taxed out of him whether it be when he switches his car on, drives on a freeway , fills up with fuel or decides to buy groceries. He says a nice item at a damn good price, he jumps on it. If he cant afford it, he simply goes without...
Kempton Park, Estrand,GP

Offline Marakasmalan

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 03:44:08 PM »

Yip, but low price is also a function of demand, hence quite possible that an item selling a low price is not as high in demand - which goes to say your point is valid, the price should not be upped.

i agree there is a vast difference between a bargain, & taking advantage of an ignorant seller who is not capable.
so if you have a problem with a price being too low, then just let the seller know off line.
they can then decide to re-price the item or not.
there is, imho no law that says they have to honour the initial price to the first responder

Agree - we are not allowed to discuss prices that are too high, we do so cordially with a PM.
Prices too low, is exactly the same matter, just on the other end of the scale, and should be discussed in the same manner.

Selling price remains the prerogative of the seller, the buyer can make a counter offer as well.