Field monitoring headphones

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenoizeguy

AVForums Super Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
I use headphones daily for a living doing, mainly dialogue recording for TV and radio commercials. I was wondering if there is anyone else doing something similar who has a certain headphone preference and would like to share their views.

My headphones generally take a lot of abuse and get replaced annually or when they break.

I tend to never buy the same product twice and because you cannot really audition them, you have to go on what other people are using and hope you spent your money wisely.

Here are a few that I have had in the past and that I still have as backup.

Sennheiser HD25 SP2      Pro's....Good isolation for such a small cup, nice and bright which I like, and efficient.
                                    Con's....connections to cups erratic, earpads rot in the heat and tear..Sennheisers non existent spares support.

Sennheiser HD380          Pro's...Very good isolation, comfortable, good bass helps in hearing wind noise on mics.
                                    Con's...Rubbish build and folding mechanism quality, lasted 3 months.

Sennheiser HD 280        Pro's...As the 380's
                                    Con's...a bit bulky and dated...Sennheisers support.

Sony MDR 7506            Pro's...My favourites so far. Good bright detailed sound, comfortable and well made.
                                    Con's...Isolation not the best..the right transducer started distorting and eventually packed up altogether.

I see that there is a new range of SP25's ( 3 versions) out there and also 26's. I just find it hard to spend my money on that brand.

I currently have my eye on the Audio Technica's..not sure of the model numbers 40's or 50's I think, and if there is anything else out there that have similar properties to the ones I mentioned, please advise.

I don't spend silly money on headphones as they have become consumables and I also usually buy a second pair for my other recordist.

Any advise or info would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Tony

Latest posts