Author Topic: Whats with the ad police?  (Read 10094 times)

Offline pwatts

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Whats with the ad police?
« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2016, 09:16:03 PM »
I do have to comment: would following the dictated format have prevented the aforementioned sour deals? I agree that deals go bad, and I agree some ads are sloppy, but I have strong doubts on the link between the two. And if there is, it's the buyer's own fault for blowing cash on a sale without knowing location/condition/whatever.

Offline BobsYourUncle

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2016, 09:17:03 PM »
^^^ simple, because not everyone that participates in trades on this forum is honest, there has been outright theft and we're talking 5 figures and more than one thief. At least one asshole here should be in lockup but those screwed for some reason refuse to press charges, hoping against odds that said assholes will have an epiphany and do the right thing.
Is this memebr still allowed on the forum?
Kempton Park, Estrand,GP

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2016, 09:20:57 PM »
Is this memebr still allowed on the forum?
yes, we entertain him daily cause we don't give a **** what happens in classifieds. We tell him who's loaded and ripe to be ripped off.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 09:23:03 PM by Rotten Johnny »
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2016, 09:25:27 PM »
FD with all due respect the rules(conditions of sale ) I had for my pups is a different ballgame...

Not at all. Your rules were rightfully intended for the well-being of your pups. Our rules applied to this sale as well and it was a good combination. Our Classifieds rules (as opposed to the proposed template) are designed to prevent, as far as possible, misunderstandings or fraudelent deals between sellers & purchasers on the forum. Hence the rules MUST be followed if a seller wishes to take advantage of this free service.

Thanks for giving me insight into your challenges as mods... But really why don't you simply go tell whoever complains about sales and get you guys involved in "sour" sales ...to go fly a kite...
I sold some stuff where guys were not happy and I also bought some stuff where I was not happy ...That is all my problems and I need to sort it out ... I never once cried to a mod about such things as a seller( to be fair I didn't know one can cry to a mod ...)   .
.. And I also didn't allow the buyers of my stuff to go cry ( refunded where necessary etc....) finish and klaar...

There have been deals that have gone sour here with prices in excess of R65,000. We were involved and some of the members concerned are still members here. Our rules are to try prevent this sort of thing happening. We are not always successful in this and the conditions of using the classifieds do advise caution before falling into a snare. Should we find a seller is rogue, we will take action and ban him when applicable.

What I don't understand is why you guys cannot simply make a statement that says " deal at your own risks" ...
I mean these are "big" people and some of them spend quite huge amounts here sometimes  .. But if anyone buys something and let their money leave their wallets or they let goods leave without payment etc... without making sure that they are happy with whatsoever , then really it's their own risks in the end.

Unfortunately, this does happen. We do change the rules from time to time to try prevent these occurrences but nothing is fool-proof. You really would be amazed at how much of this has happened here, we get complaints relating to the classifieds on a very regular basis because of misunderstandings. This is one of the reasons why we prefer good quality pics of the actual unit/s being sold, distance sometimes plays a major part in preventing actual viewing prior to a sale. This has applied to vintage gear as well, sadly.

Quote from the Rules:
"* While AVForums does wish you the best of luck in trading, we can accept no responsibility if a deal goes sour for whatever reason. So please do watch out and don't part with your money or kit unless you're sure of what you're doing."

So how many sellers actually have even read the rules here:
http://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,10.0.html

I am pretty sure no more than 10-15%.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Online Curlycat

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+50)
« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2016, 09:29:30 PM »
The function of the template is that the seller presents the information in a proper way, so buyers can read the advert easily and not hunt for information or read through paragraphs of poorly formatted jargon to find the asking price.

Again sample of the format below.

It's not hard to do and not unreasonable at all.

Offline ron g

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2016, 09:43:39 PM »
my 2c worth

while i don't exactly agree with every aspect of the rule / template, i have no problem with the concept of having a template. some consistency will make ads easier to read, and will also be a guide to people new to posting ads.

having run a fairly busy forum before, i have an idea of what is entailed in moderating a forum. (i left when the other mods & most of the members insisted on a trial by public forum poll of a trader who was accused of shoddy service).

- cheerleading posts
i agree that this should be banned, or alternatively, other members should be permitted to post if they disagree with the statement that an item is the greatest thing since digital audio.
in a couple of cases i have been inspired to go & check out items due to the cheerleading, only to find out the item is barely adequate. total waste of a time & effort (though meeting the sellers was, paradoxically, a real pleasure.)
then i have seen people buy the same items, based largely on the strength of the cheerleading.
i know that permitting alternative views will lead to anarchy, so probably banning them is a better idea.

- photos
i really cannot understand the point of links to internet photos.
any person seriously interested can quite easily go & google those themselves, as well as reviews of the items.
the forum i was on previously required photos of the actual items for sale.
this was to show that the item actually existed, and to give a quick preliminary idea of the condition.
makes much more sense to me.

if millennials were faced with a zombie invasion, there would be zombie rights activists.

Offline King_Julian_S

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #96 on: April 01, 2016, 09:54:11 PM »
Thanks guys for the insights..
I must agree with PWATTS above though.
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Skylark

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2016, 10:07:42 PM »
There's not actually many people complaining about the new templates/classifieds rules?
If you do the maths.
Music is in the Mind