Author Topic: Whats with the ad police?  (Read 10229 times)

Offline BobsYourUncle

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Whats with the ad police?
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2016, 07:59:14 AM »
Kempton Park, Estrand,GP

Offline Rodney_gold

• R.I.P. 5 June 2018
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2016, 07:59:48 AM »
#adnazismustfall
previous format worked well.. now some bright spark wants to shove a format up our asses .. JZ II ?
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2016, 08:01:10 AM »
Wow that was drastic ...... but you know what 1st of April
Wonder what rationalisations will be put forward when there's still no Classifieds come tomorrow...
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Larry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2016, 08:04:14 AM »
Right - if this isn't April Fools prank, its a pretty sad day.

There are a lot people that look to these forums as a more trusted (albeit no guarantees) method of buying second hand hardware, they wouldn't otherwise be able to afford.

I'm also fairly confident that removal of this will dramatically down swing forum activity over time.

Offline Rodney_gold

• R.I.P. 5 June 2018
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2016, 08:05:33 AM »
FORCING anyone to do anything is a bad way to go about it...
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline pwatts

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2016, 08:13:06 AM »
While at it, why not also ban general discussions with headings like "so I have a problem" that gives no hint of the topic.
Sales threads will be sloppy, and so will other threads. Live with it. At best, bump the sales guidelines (not rules) from time to time in the hope it stays noted.
I have a colleague who blanket emails everyone the "kitchen rules" every time someone leaves a spoon in the sink. There's no punishment involved, but over the long term it seems to be working - and we didn't close the kitchen.

Offline BWS

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2016, 08:24:17 AM »
While at it, why not also ban general discussions with headings like "so I have a problem" that gives no hint of the topic.
Sales threads will be sloppy, and so will other threads. Live with it. At best, bump the sales guidelines (not rules) from time to time in the hope it stays noted.
I have a colleague who blanket emails everyone the "kitchen rules" every time someone leaves a spoon in the sink. There's no punishment involved, but over the long term it seems to be working - and we didn't close the kitchen.

This has been done repeatedly over the years, and yet people still moan and complain. damned if you do....... you know how the rest goes
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline sonusjunkie

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2016, 08:29:32 AM »
.....hence the format

Offline pwatts

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2016, 08:33:10 AM »
This has been done repeatedly over the years, and yet people still moan and complain. damned if you do....... you know how the rest goes
Well, consider the effect on member numbers: keep the ads and ignore those who complain; but noting the complainants won't leave
OR
Kill the ads and see an exodus of a lot.

Simple really.
Side note: what sad creature has the time and effort to actually complain about something like an ad format? It's a tad annoying at times yes, but to justify this?? Reveal yourself!

Offline Rodney_gold

• R.I.P. 5 June 2018
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2016, 08:41:48 AM »
Well , it's pretty obvious that the newly annointed god of classifieds decided that a stick is the best way to "reward" members for falling into line with his notions...
Anything with compulsory in it rases my hackles
At any rate... there are plenty other places to advertise .. all it does is deprive the forum members of first shot or bargains
Well done .. a tribute to analism

Offline stereosane

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2016, 08:48:59 AM »
I guess we could argue all day long about who's right and who's wrong...

Instead why don't we try put simple meaningful measures into place, can't we have a set template made for the classifieds? Just like Gumtree, you have to fill in all the appropriate info before the add can be posted, without filling in the template you can't place it. All it needs is Price, Condition, Area, Pics, this way every add will stick to the same format regardless. The classifieds is vital to the forum in my opinion and I think a set template will help a lot, as to excessive bumping I guess the mods will have to watch for that.

Offline Andile

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Listen and you'll see!!
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2016, 08:53:35 AM »
Constitutional Court

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2016, 08:54:11 AM »

For Sale

Awesome Cardas power chords that will take your systems sound to the next level  :groovy: :groovy: :groovy:

These have Cardas' optional proprietary cyrogenic shuko terminations

They have been used lightly and were never plugged in during load shedding

Asking: R10,000 (retail for over USD2000)

I am in Slapstad and can ship at your expense and risk

Reason for selling - the over engineered IEC termination does not fit under the lid of my devialet  :walled: :walled: :walled: :walled:

Not too sure from the pic but those look like 20A IEC as used mostly by Krell and Audio Reaearch. 

As opposed to the more common 10/15A versions. 

Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2016, 09:05:48 AM »
Constitutional Court

First we have to argue that the mods rulings are not binding, then we can go to the CC
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline BWS

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2016, 09:12:50 AM »
I guess we could argue all day long about who's right and who's wrong...

Instead why don't we try put simple meaningful measures into place, can't we have a set template made for the classifieds? Just like Gumtree, you have to fill in all the appropriate info before the add can be posted, without filling in the template you can't place it. All it needs is Price, Condition, Area, Pics, this way every add will stick to the same format regardless. The classifieds is vital to the forum in my opinion and I think a set template will help a lot, as to excessive bumping I guess the mods will have to watch for that.

There is an add on, that has an ad looking more like an Amazon or eBay advert, but we're looking for a free one. So far the cheapest is $75 per annum.
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?