Author Topic: Whats with the ad police?  (Read 11198 times)

Offline Rodney_gold

Whats with the ad police?
« on: March 31, 2016, 10:15:54 PM »
The compulsory format thing?
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline Kent Kassler

Re: Whats with the ad police?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 10:30:13 PM »
Discrimination against the computer illiterate this is.....in one swoop the one member who is the glue that keeps it all together has been banned.... :sd:
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline BobsYourUncle

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 10:35:29 PM »
The compulsory format thing?

As far as I was aware, the format is optonal aslong as you state , price, location and give a descripton.

EDIT-Ive just seen the new rule now. The tree it is going forward... Easier and less hassle. I undrstand this sort of ruling on carbonite as its a dedicated sales forum, With all due respect,I feel the avf mods have just gone too far here by inforcing a fromat! Yes, keep to the rules and inforce the rules, but dont force people to use a set format.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 10:52:05 PM by BobsYourUncle »
Kempton Park, Estrand,GP

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Whats with the ad police?
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 10:57:19 PM »
Dull and boring here we come.
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Ju_dy@RT

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 11:22:14 PM »
Lol! Just saw it now... hows  those  heading guidelines.. :ROFLMAO:   Sorry mods, i also think its a bit harch.  What happens if it is multiple items? Do the guys have to load an advert for each purely to stick to the heading guidelines?? Oi!! 

And will adverts be removed if we "disregard the format" by adding additional  info such as

Age?
Colour?
Specs?
Warranty?
Reason for selling?
Repair/service history?

We need to be really clear now... We wouldn't want our adverts removed  ;)

PS: personally i like adverts with the price in the subject line... To the point and saves me time opening the adv if the price is not in my budget.

Offline oNyX

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 11:26:37 PM »
I think it's a good move.

In fact, I think stating repair/service history should also be compulsory.

Offline BobsYourUncle

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 11:31:12 PM »
This image is the 1st thing that popped into my mind after reading the new rule

Kempton Park, Estrand,GP

Offline Gotchaman

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 11:38:07 PM »
Perhaps we should form a compliance division within the forum.  Establish a control framework that all Ad's should meet. Before any Ad's are posted, there should be an assessment for compliance. If it passes, the Ad is posted. If it fails more than 3 times, the person should be banned from posting again for a period of time.

Perhaps we should consider an independent assessment of all items being posted for sale to ensure that meet the description to the "t". This in combination with an escrow system.
 :walled:

Offline Ju_dy@RT

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 11:45:42 PM »
 :BWAHAHAH: :BWAHAHAH: and i vote that gotchaman and 6 others be appointed to man the division.... With 6 more acting members to step in when the first 7 fall over dead.

Offline Skylark

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 11:48:20 PM »
Talk about enjoying whine :P

Music is in the Mind

Offline Katji

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 11:51:12 PM »
Set format makes it possible to automate the checking/validation.

What happens if it is multiple items? Do the guys have to load an advert for each purely to stick to the heading guidelines??
Easier to manage, to maintain. Easier to see whether or not an item is still available.

And will adverts be removed if we "disregard the format" by adding additional  info such as
Age?
Colour?
Specs?
Warranty?
Reason for selling?
Repair/service history?
Can be included in the Description section.
Extensive specs (which is rare, anyway) can be quoted after the pic or inserted as an image.

PS: personally i like adverts with the price in the subject line... To the point and saves me time opening the adv if the price is not in my budget.
Most ads have not included the price in the subject line, so you were probably opening quite a few anyway.
[Mods willing,] price could be an optional last field in the subject line?

In fact, I think stating repair/service history should also be compulsory.
Often not applicable - seller doesn't know, etc. But the Description section is free format; information like repairs/service history could be 2nd paragraph of Description...?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 12:16:15 AM by Katji »

Offline Raffs

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 12:00:00 AM »
Eish ....as of late  was scared  :cr@p:  less to BUMP my ads ..... now I'm gonna have to concertrate really hard if/when I post a new ad  :thinking:.... oh and by the way BUMP 
Trust your senses !!

Offline Wolla

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • The wife is always right!
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 12:03:45 AM »
I think this new rule post was placed a day early? Should have been placed on 1st April?

Anyway, I support the new rule as there were way too many ads straying from earlier requests for order and decent info.

Andre will really struggle with this one (with Jacques normally adding pics later on).

Anyhew...
St Helena Bay
<<< KIT >>>
DIY OB Boombox (TPA3116D2 amps)
PC: Zotac ZBox Nano > Korg DS-DAC-100m > HK GLA55
HP: iPad Pro > Audeze iSine 10, Philips SHP-895
Casual: Apple HiFi, Music pillow, Denon Heos 7

Offline Skylark

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 12:05:09 AM »
Actually the added info and price in the heading is great, you can easily see if the item offered is something you'd be interested in and worth further investigation without needing to open the ad.

I'd have thought all the classifieds addicts would appreciate the changes that make classifieds hunting easier?
Music is in the Mind

Offline BobsYourUncle

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 12:15:45 AM »
Format should remain optional, and the existing rules should apply as they are. Let those who want to use the format use it
Kempton Park, Estrand,GP